THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Serious Tire / Alloy Rim Damage - Advice Needed!

09-23-2019, 12:06 AM   #67
Nitrof23MT
Rep
Drives: 228ix convert, 528i, x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
One opinion worth listening to is that of the professionals at Tire Rack. You can read their test reviews of tires, and the reviews of buyers of those same tires. You can also call them with your questions - they are quite knowledgeable and willing to share their expertise.
Awesome gtk I will do that!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:43 AM   #68
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrof23MT View Post
Oh no way?! I really didn't know that was an option to consider. If I could do that and not damage anything I'd really consider doing that for like a year and then replacing the runflats. What should I consider going this route? Does it matter with xdrive? I would want to move the runflats to the rear since my front are usually what take the blow...how does suspension feel with the stiff runflats on the back?
OK, I've never had an xdrive but would expect that it you kept the same diameter / aspect ratio you would be OK. Thats pretty much what I did until by F23 RWD when I went with some wider ones. Much less of an issue on the RWD of course.

My most recent tire swap was on my F30 340i when I had to change the front tires due to a giant bubble from hitting a pothole. Can't say I noticed a huge difference, but this is my wifes car and I don't drive it too much. The rears are almost done, so will be getting new non-RFTs there too. Recently I have been getting Bridgestone pole position S-04, which seem to be a pretty good tire but not all season. Anyhow lots of opinions on tires... Anyhow I never had an issue changing from RFT to non-RFT on my cars - E60, F10, F23, F30, etc. I did always do an axle at a time and not a single tire however. Never noticed any adverse affect - except for the less impact to the wallet of not buying a RFT.

On my F23 the biggest difference in tire / wheel performance I noticed when changing the wheels from stock to Apex ARC-8s, although this was summer tires only with a staggered fitment. The ARC-8s I bought were a bit wider than stock and this made a HUGE handling difference.

You may get hassle from tire vendors changing from RFT to non-RFT. Once I had to sign something acknowledging I was buying a non-RFT which was not specified for the vehicle. Pretty much this happens every time I go from RFT to non-RFT.