THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2015 Mustang (What happened)

02-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #67
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Why so many S197s?

I'll own this car until it hits rock bottom. My 335i was a hair over 50k OTD back in 2008 and is now worth maybe 10-12k. I'm not adverse to the idea of value tankers since I run them into the ground.
It's just how I am. I get bored with cars pretty quickly. I've had 48 cars since I was 16 and I'll be 33 this August. I build them up and then start on a new one. I've had a handful of FBO N54 135/335's as well.
Right on.

So do you eat a face full of depreciation every time you get a new car? I'd love to do what you do but it's not financially sensible in my shoes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #68
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I like the new mustang, but like the previous one a little more... I appreciate all cars with attitude.. I know how it feels to go from M cars / euro cars to American muscle. I have had 2 E46 M3's, a modded 135i (see sig), modded B5 S4 just to name a few. below is my 5th Camaro. My current Camaro has suspension work, cam, headers, gears, etc. and really needs to be driven to appreciate how aggressive you can make these things. I do like the fit and finish of an Audi or BMW...

If the M2 has a S55 in it I might come back...

My current car

My DD

I just found the 330xi with only 29k on her. I have since dropped her a little an put an MTech front bumper on...
      02-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #69
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i went to a dealership to check out a GT.

but 3 biggest turn offs don't even have anything to do with performance.

first off the ford dealer (and i've noticed this with a lot of non luxury dealers) basically followed my friend and i around the whole time like if they left us alone in the car we were going to steal all the knobs and carve our names into the dash. and that just made me think, no matter how well this car performs that experience sucks.

(snip)
Yes, how I am treated at the dealer/servicer is a big deal with me. I'm at a stage in life when I no longer will tolerate being treated as cattle, herded through a chute.

I bought my first Mercedes 3 years ago and our local dealer treats me like a king. Everything is 1st class; the facility, punctuality, thoroughness, followups and most of all, the staff. All 1st class.

Ditto with my local BMW dealer. 1st class service in all regards.

I bought 2 new Fords over the years and our local dealer was far from outstanding. Never went back.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser[/SIZE]
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #70
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Right on.

So do you eat a face full of depreciation every time you get a new car? I'd love to do what you do but it's not financially sensible in my shoes.
Being in the military I wouldn't say it's easy to go through as many cars as I have but I'm good at investing in other areas. Buying/trading/selling cars is nothing more than a "expensive hobby" in my eyes.

My dad has worked at the Claycomo Ford Plant for about 39 years so I usually save $4K on top of what ever rebates are available. I usually go from new Mustangs to BMW's. That way I don't lose my ass when trading in. I've also mastered the art of parting out a car, lol.

I'm one of those types that will never be happy with the performance of a car no matter what I own. I could own a 458 Italia and I still would try to make it faster.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #71
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Yes, how I am treated at the dealer/servicer is a big deal with me. I'm at a stage in life when I no longer will tolerate being treated as cattle, herded through a chute.

I bought my first Mercedes 3 years ago and our local dealer treats me like a king. Everything is 1st class; the facility, punctuality, thoroughness, followups and most of all, the staff. All 1st class.

I bought 2 new Fords over the years and our local dealer was far from outstanding. Never went back.
I can totally agree with this. Ford dealers are well known for keeping people there as long as possible to wear them down in a psychological type of way. By the time they've spent 7-8 hours, they're just ready to sign anything to get their car and go home.

Every time I have purchased a BMW from a dealer. I was there literally less than an hour and the salesman didn't play any stupid number games.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #72
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Right on.

Being in the military I wouldn't say it's easy to go through as many cars as I have but I'm good at investing in other areas. Buying/trading/selling cars is nothing more than a "expensive hobby" in my eyes.

My dad has worked at the Claycomo Ford Plant for about 39 years so I usually save $4K on top of what ever rebates are available. I usually go from new Mustangs to BMW's. That way I don't lose my ass when trading in. I've also mastered the art of parting out a car, lol.

I'm one of those types that will never be happy with the performance of a car no matter what I own. I could own a 458 Italia and I still would try to make it faster.
I'd kill to be in your spot. Bought this with the plan to do a full build, so resale won't be good and I'll need to part it all out when it gets to that point. Hope I don't get plowed when all is said and done.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #73
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post

I can totally agree with this. Ford dealers are well known for keeping people there as long as possible to wear them down in a psychological type of way. By the time they've spent 7-8 hours, they're just ready to sign anything to get their car and go home.

Every time I have purchased a BMW from a dealer. I was there literally less than an hour and the salesman didn't play any stupid number games.
Interesting.

My deal took maybe an hour and a half. I got employee pricing (printed out invoice and all), the finance manager was straight forward with me since I came in pre-approved and told him the warranty and fluff won't really work for me. He basically said, "here's my routine. If you're not interested, I understand. I want to get you on your way home and driving your car as soon as you can."

Dealer experiences do have a correlation with the brand to a strong degree, but it's really going to be independent in the end when it comes to that customer interaction.

From beginning to end, I got multiple test drives immediately upon request, locked in my employee pricing as soon as numbers were discussed, and was out the door within 1-2 hours when I arrived to pick up my ordered car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #74
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post

i've noticed the premium/luxury makes in my experience they just let you browse on your own, maybe occasionally ask you if you need something (well except cadillac, that place is basically a chevy dealership).

a salesman at a porsche dealer once told me , well even if you can't afford these cars yet, we wan't you to dream about it so sit in that cayman all you want.

but the day my friend and i went just random car browsing (friend was sort of thinking of either a c7 z51 or a m3 later this year, its a very casual search so far).

the car dealers with the salesman horde at the front doors .... toyota, ford, chevy were the ones we went to. it was immediate "omg they are ups, walkins off the street" and then them following you everywhere trying t make some hard sell or just making sure you didn't steal the cigarette lighter covers or shift knobs off say a corolla.

weirdly enough the one non luxury dealer we went to was mazda just because we were curious to really see the inside of a loaded mazda 3. and they left us alone to just do our own thing. and it just leaves a better impression.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #75
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post

This happened to me getting a Fusion. I will never put up with that crap again, they 'won' that day shearly through putting us through hell. It got to a point my fiance wanted it over so bad and we decided on a fusion already for her that I felt I had to just get the deal done. Never go in as a couple I guess.

If I get a s550 mustang its gonna be all truecar negotiated or something, that was horrrrrrible experience @ Ford. Luckily Fusion has had 0 problems in 18 months. Also no loaners for service, couldn't even PAY for one!!

Love the new stang still but it's a bit too big for me and the ergonomics on BMW is better -- after a long drive I am more comfortable in BMW products.

Maybe a used S550 V8 in a few yrs in a private party sale.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #76
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Only people who would spend 7-8 hours at a dealer are those to dumb to walk out 5-6 hours earlier.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #77
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I'm happy for a dealer to pay for lunch and drinks otherwise politely I'm out of the dealership in under an hour.
      02-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #78
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Why so many S197s?

I'll own this car until it hits rock bottom. My 335i was a hair over 50k OTD back in 2008 and is now worth maybe 10-12k. I'm not adverse to the idea of value tankers since I run them into the ground.
Wow, that's really bad resale value on the 335i! I actually can't believe it - you sure?

In comparison, I bought my 2005 Mustang for $27K ($29K OTD), and 10 years later, the Kelley Blue Book private party value is over $11K. I'm preparing to sell mine now to make room in the garage for the 2er, and looking on Autotrader and Craigslist, the rare-ish Screaming Yellow Mustang GTs (only made in 2005-06) are selling for $13K and up. The resale value is not that far from 50% 10 years later...

I just assumed that BMW would be FAR better than a Mustang when it comes to resale value. And yours is 3 years newer than mine, no less...
      02-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #79
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14
Quote:
Why so many S197s?

Wow, that's really bad resale value on the 335i! I actually can't believe it - you sure?

In comparison, I bought my 2005 Mustang for $27K ($29K OTD), and 10 years later, the Kelley Blue Book private party value is over $11K. I'm preparing to sell mine now to make room in the garage for the 2er, and looking on Autotrader and Craigslist, the rare-ish Screaming Yellow Mustang GTs (only made in 2005-06) are selling for $13K and up. The resale value is not that far from 50% 10 years later...

I just assumed that BMW would be FAR better than a Mustang when it comes to resale value. And yours is 3 years newer than mine, no less...
Yeah... I don't think mine will be priced on the high side.

130-135k miles on the odo. Interior is built well but the soft touch finish is bubbled up and peeled all over the place. Mechanically sound, but that's because it needed a new transmission that I paid 6k for BMW to put in (at the 105k mark). Also have to deal with explaining to people that she chewed through 4 HPFPs until I got it replaced with a recalled unit (lucky second year N54 owner). And that stupid iPod connector literally fell into the console...

It's just hard to sell. Despite it being mechanically sound (the engine really has been fine save for the HPFPs), it has little bits and pieces that mar the image as far as its looks and history.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #80
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Yeah... I don't think mine will be priced on the high side.

130-135k miles on the odo. Interior is built well but the soft touch finish is bubbled up and peeled all over the place. Mechanically sound, but that's because it needed a new transmission that I paid 6k for BMW to put in (at the 105k mark). Also have to deal with explaining to people that she chewed through 4 HPFPs until I got it replaced with a recalled unit (lucky second year N54 owner). And that stupid iPod connector literally fell into the console...

It's just hard to sell. Despite it being mechanically sound (the engine really has been fine save for the HPFPs), it has little bits and pieces that mar the image as far as its looks and history.
Okay, well that is high mileage. Mine is only 78,000 miles. As far as their reputation for cheap interiors, the one in my Mustang is still perfect, almost showroom - after being a daily driver for most of the time I owned it. Not a crack in the leather anywhere, and of course, what can go wrong with the hard plastics?

Seriously though, I don't think people want to believe me when I tell them that my Ford has been literally trouble-free all these years (knock on wood). Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I have to say it - this car has been through New England winters, yearly track days since 2007, with most of the miles being non-highway - and has had exactly ZERO issues other than normal maintenance.

I just hope the 2er can come close to the value, reliability, and resale value that I've enjoyed with this Mustang over the past 10 years!