THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Does anyone not get PPF?

03-13-2022, 12:44 PM   #67
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
What made you finally decide to do it?
Rock chips and dings drive me crazy. My F82 had rock chip damage on the front bumper and hood and it bothered me. I also have a Lotus which needs a re-spray on the rocker panels because they have been sand blasted by road debris.

I waited so damn long for my G82 build I wanted to enjoy it for awhile without being annoyed with road damage.
Makes good sense 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 03:27 PM   #68
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

I usually just get a "nose" application of PPF (front/partial hood/partial fenders/mirror caps), and in my experience, that seems to be enough for the 4,000 miles per year I put on a daily driven vehicle in N.E. which I keep for no more than 2 to 3 yrs. And since I don't keep a vehicle for very long, I don't need the "best" PPF out there, and the stuff I've received has never yellowed or peeled....and I don't even have a garage!

When I finally get my M3, I'll tell the dealership what I've told the past dealership of my current vehicle....$1,000 for PPF on just the nose, and if that's not enough, I'll get it done somewhere else.

So far that line has worked for my 2018 & 2020 Macan GTSs....

3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 03:06 PM   #69
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Never done it. Never even considered it. That's a ton of money to somewhat protect a car from its normal operating environment. Reminds me of when my Grandma used to cover the couches in plastic. Couch still got old. Cushions still got saggy. Just looked a little better when she threw it out.
If I drove my couch on the highways, I'd probably cover it in plastic as well.

I've personally applied semi-frontal PPF using XPel kits for my last few cars. It's usually a ~$500 investment, and it definitely helps prevent/minimize rock chips and scratches from a variety of hazards. Unless you only drive your car rarely and on empty roads, I don't see any way around it.

For my upcoming G80, I am seriously considering a full PPF. Yes, the prices are eye-watering, but so is the investment in the car itself, and since I'm not leasing it, I'd like to retain value and its original paint as well as possible. Applying Dr. ColorChip filler every once in a while is fine on a Honda, but less so on a $90k BMW.
      05-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #70
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick618 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Millions of people don't get PPF on their vehicles. 🤷🏻

Not sure what your are really looking for as an answer. Yes the paint will get swirls, chips, nicks, scratches without out PPF.
I guess I'm just looking to see experiences of how well the paint holds up without the added protection.

I've been thinking that partial PPF would make sense, as I would intend to keep the car for a long time. But I'm also considering Tanzanite, and I've read it's a pain to keep clean so maybe full PPF would make that job easier.
It really depends on so many variables based on if it's a daily driver, weekend car, freeway driven, used in winter months, do you tailgate, do you often find yourself behind big trucks, etc. My G80 is the first car I have ever gotten PPF put on as well as ceramic coating.

My reason for PPF this time around was because my X3 M40i looked like absolute shit after 2.5 years. So many little chips on the front bumper area. However I did a lot of freeway miles during those years and I think that played a big role in all the chips. The freeways here are full of little rocks and debris due to all the landscape trucks and others that don't fully cover their loads. I just don't want my G80 to look the same after 2.5 years, especially given that I got an individual color. Although I'll probably be putting a lot less miles on this one due to change in commutes.

My reason for ceramic on this car was just for the hopes of easier maintenance and not spending as much time detailing it, even if I really do enjoy spending that time. Free time just isn't as readily available nowadays with the little ones getting a bit older.
I'm torn for sure. I live where winter is a thing, so more gravel and crappy roads in the spring which can see degraded road materials get fired back from the car I'm behind. I don't follow too close and try my best to avoid crappy roads. I'm leasing the car, but I have a very hard time living with rock chips. So I might go for at least the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 02:13 PM   #71
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Never done it. Never even considered it. That's a ton of money to somewhat protect a car from its normal operating environment. Reminds me of when my Grandma used to cover the couches in plastic. Couch still got old. Cushions still got saggy. Just looked a little better when she threw it out.
That's the best comment I've ever heard in this debate.
I've read through this thread, and a lot of people are getting front protection.
I have FDG individual paint and there's not a single rock (stone) chip on the front of my car yet (2k miles), however the front doors (in the middle) and the rear arches are showing signs of use.
I'm OCD about keeping things I own in perfect condition, car included. But it's a tool at the end of the day. I have a 20 year old Klein hard tail mountain bike, the bike that started my love for cycling. A couple of years ago I had a custom frame respray and upgraded all the components with the best money could buy. Went on a cycling holiday shortly after to the French alps and noticed a crack in the frame. Initially I was gutted, then I realised that I'd ridden that bike for all those years and had so many memories that were priceless. The crack is testimony to me using it, and using it for what it was made for.
My mate just bought a motorhome. He's put seat covers over the covers that cover the seats, he has became obsessed with keeping it perfect. I feel sorry for his wife and two young kids…
Memories and fun have to come first. As you pointed out someone else will enjoy it or it'll be the cleanest interior in the scrapyard crusher.
Besides, I'd struggle to not pull off damaged PPF at some point and look at (and enjoy) the factory finished paint I paid for.
Just remember, when you find the next car you've got to have the one your parting company with means nothing to you anymore. Unless you've created memories.
If you've enjoyed it 100%, Rock chips = cracked mountain bike frames 😎
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 10
BMWM4CX281.50
Gfit2759.50
FISH225416.50
BardG212.50
LimeRock672.00
ando2006.00
02M3ForMe4278.00
      05-15-2022, 02:37 PM   #72
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Quote:
If I drove my couch on the highways, I'd probably cover it in plastic as well.

I've personally applied semi-frontal PPF using XPel kits for my last few cars. It's usually a ~$500 investment, and it definitely helps prevent/minimize rock chips and scratches from a variety of hazards. Unless you only drive your car rarely and on empty roads, I don't see any way around it.

For my upcoming G80, I am seriously considering a full PPF. Yes, the prices are eye-watering, but so is the investment in the car itself, and since I'm not leasing it, I'd like to retain value and its original paint as well as possible. Applying Dr. ColorChip filler every once in a while is fine on a Honda, but less so on a $90k BMW.
I get it. As I always say, it's your car. Do what you want. But there is no way it makes financial sense. Piece of mind sure. Financial sense no. There is no way a few rock chips, which is basically all the PPF can protect you from, is adding/retaining $5,000+ in value when selling.
Appreciate 2
BardG212.50
02M3ForMe4278.00
      05-16-2022, 07:00 PM   #73
petrol_phxz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 X-Drive Comp.

Quote:
I get it. As I always say, it's your car. Do what you want. But there is no way it makes financial sense. Piece of mind sure. Financial sense no. There is no way a few rock chips, which is basically all the PPF can protect you from, is adding/retaining $5,000+ in value when selling.
You're right, it's not retaining any value. MAYBE on the private market, but most people just trade in at the dealer anyway.

However, it does add piece of mind for the enthusiast owner which is why I've gotten PPF in the past and have it lined up for my G80. 1 little chip will bother me to death each time I wash the car.

And also, to be fair, spending upwards of $100k on a car doesn't make any financial sense either. It's all about what you value!
Driving: 2022 M3CX | Skyscraper Grey | Full leather Silverstone Interior | Carbon Fiber Trim | M Carbon Bucket Seats | Parking Pack | Executive Pack | Laser Lights | M Shadowline Lights | 826M Jet Black Wheels | Red Calipers
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 07:50 PM   #74
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't see the value personally because it either still gets damaged, swirls, if the care doesn't get wrecked the garbage yellows and needs to be replaced it's expensive and at the end of they if you do end up keeping the car having it professionally buffed and resprayed is worth more than doing up front and not keeping it
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 11:38 PM   #75
Saywhat4118
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335; F15 X5; G83

I got my G83 Tanzanite Blue 2 PPF and Ceramic coated. I got it done right away so I never got to enjoy the factory paint, stock, with its original shine and finish. kind of regret that. It feels like the PPF doesn't "shine" the same way... or maybe I'm just having buyers remorse.

Also... within 30 minutes of hand washing and hand drying the car, the PPF is like a glue for dust. no one mentioned this when I did research. Is anyone experiencing this or is it just the Tanzanite Blue paint? The dust is making me regret it the most.
eman45171748.50
      05-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #76
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saywhat4118 View Post
I got my G83 Tanzanite Blue 2 PPF and Ceramic coated. I got it done right away so I never got to enjoy the factory paint, stock, with its original shine and finish. kind of regret that. It feels like the PPF doesn't "shine" the same way... or maybe I'm just having buyers remorse.

Also... within 30 minutes of hand washing and hand drying the car, the PPF is like a glue for dust. no one mentioned this when I did research. Is anyone experiencing this or is it just the Tanzanite Blue paint? The dust is making me regret it the most.
Strip off the PPF, see if your right (or wrong) regarding dust. Most of all see if it's the paint finish you aspired towards. I'd hate the thought of keeping my paint perfect with compromises, selling it and then giving someone else the best of something that I never fully enjoyed.
I made a conscious decision to not protect my Matte paint, mostly because I know the PPF in some way or another would annoy me.
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 2
Gfit2759.50
      05-29-2022, 01:24 AM   #77
Saywhat4118
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
Strip off the PPF, see if your right (or wrong) regarding dust. Most of all see if it's the paint finish you aspired towards. I'd hate the thought of keeping my paint perfect with compromises, selling it and then giving someone else the best of something that I never fully enjoyed.
I made a conscious decision to not protect my Matte paint, mostly because I know the PPF in some way or another would annoy me.
Extremely valid point. I'm going to do one better. I'm going to sell this G83 to someone who values full PPF because my BSM G82 just went into production schedule so I'll just keep that one instead
      07-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #78
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Yeah, it's a crap shoot. I'm so anal about my cars. I hand wash and detail them often with the 2 bucket method, etc, etc. (mostly due to dust). I had full xPel done on both my '16 RS5 and my '19 911 C4S (+ceramic) and a '21 M5 Comp was leased (wasn't sure on buying back) and only had the front bumper headlights, mirrors and ceramic due to past mixed results, however I'd NEVER do full ppf again.

The areas on the hood where the rock hit tore and bunched up the ppf drove me bananas, especially on the 911. You can't unsee them once you see it and would need to keep having it redone after the next hit so I didnt find it practical. For the M5 Comp (Marina BB Metallic) with no hood ppf, Dr. Colorchip hid 95% of them well (some on the hood and rocker, but not many) and didnt affect resale. Additionally, my 911's Agate Grey Metallic paint looked significanty less vibrant and deep and really attracted dust.

My G82 Compx (Tanzanite BM) is in transit *ETA NY port 7/25) and pondering what to do this time around given my past results. I'm buying this one so was considering full ceramic, ppf on the full bumper, laserlights, mirrors and rockers. I even considered that bikini partial piece on the front end, then flash back to my other cars issues with seams lifting, bubbles, lint under the film, tears from rock hits, color vibrancy and dust.

My plans have changed multiple times, especially considering how good the technology of current nano-ceramic car waxes & detailers have become recently. I only use those on my wife's Mercedes and it looks amazing (granted it's white). Now leaning towards ppf on just the front bumper, headlights, mirrors doorcups and wheel impact areas.

Yes, we all want to keep our cars in pristine condition, but as many mentioned just do what you feel is best for your situation. I've had many very nice cars in the past (sub $100k) without it and they did fine. Just drive it and enjoy it!

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2022, 01:18 PM   #79
Saywhat4118
Private First Class
Rep

eman4517 yup agreed. I sold the G83 and getting a G82 (in Galveston port, waiting for it to be delivered to the dealership). It's a BSM. I'm just doing full CarPro Ceramic Coating. Not doing PPF. Just going to enjoy the car.
eman45171748.50
      07-18-2022, 08:35 AM   #80
petrol_phxz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 X-Drive Comp.

Quote:

I'd suggest putting a PPF specific ceramic coating on top of the PPF or a PPF spray sealant which should help with that. But also, as you know, a dark colored car will show dust far more than a lighter colored car.

I live in the desert and never had this issue.
Driving: 2022 M3CX | Skyscraper Grey | Full leather Silverstone Interior | Carbon Fiber Trim | M Carbon Bucket Seats | Parking Pack | Executive Pack | Laser Lights | M Shadowline Lights | 826M Jet Black Wheels | Red Calipers
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2022, 03:39 PM   #81
bimmerfanpk2020
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Would you guys say partial ppf (half hood, front bumper and mirror caps) is worth it at $1000 flat for a highly rated ppf installer?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 08:12 PM   #82
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfanpk2020 View Post
Would you guys say partial ppf (half hood, front bumper and mirror caps) is worth it at $1000 flat for a highly rated ppf installer?
Get the full front done if you are going to do it. You will be pissed if you do a partial and a rock catches the unprotected part. I plan on keeping my car for a while so this was a no brainer. I said I wasn't doing it buy with less than 600 miles on my car, I got a rock chip on my bumper so I scheduled mine that week. Since installed, a piece of metal flew off a semi across my hood and a rock hit my headlight and the PPF saved my Dravit grey paint and my headlight. I don't regret spending 3k to have piece of mind.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 09:12 PM   #83
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

I think with the fairly dramatic price increases of PPF, ceramic coating and professional detailing in general, the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them. I just find it bizarre that the detailing shops are charging people $5K-$10K for full PPF and related work and people are paying it for "regular" cars like Model 3s. But the two biggest shops in my area are booked out for months.

I could see doing it on an investment-grade vehicle or an exotic. But like so many others on this forum, I usually keep cars no more than 2 years. I've done PPF and I've done ceramic, but with my M4 I'm just going to do a paint correction and polish and then maintain my good washing methods. If it turns out this car is the one and I keep it beyond 2 or 3 years, then maybe I'll spend the money to get another paint correction and consider PPF.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 07:18 AM   #84
bimmerfanpk2020
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
I think with the fairly dramatic price increases of PPF, ceramic coating and professional detailing in general, the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them. I just find it bizarre that the detailing shops are charging people $5K-$10K for full PPF and related work and people are paying it for "regular" cars like Model 3s. But the two biggest shops in my area are booked out for months.

I could see doing it on an investment-grade vehicle or an exotic. But like so many others on this forum, I usually keep cars no more than 2 years. I've done PPF and I've done ceramic, but with my M4 I'm just going to do a paint correction and polish and then maintain my good washing methods. If it turns out this car is the one and I keep it beyond 2 or 3 years, then maybe I'll spend the money to get another paint correction and consider PPF.
This is one of the reasons why I'm not considering doing ppf. I haven't kept a vehicle more than 10 months these last two years (lucky timing) and I plan on keeping my m4 no more than 3 years. Although that first chip might bother me I'll end up using some touch up paint and moving on. When I traded in a previous 3 series to my dealer I had touched up a few chips myself and it made no difference to the dealer..even made profit on the trade in. I guess the second best option would be no ppf and then just applying painters or ppf tape when going on a road trip
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 11:22 AM   #85
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

I'm done with PPF
If installer isn't an absolute perfectionist- and even if they are, it will have marks and flaws.
Factory paint these days is stunning.

If it's a DD I get it.
But for the fair weather ride, just not motivated to do it anymore…
Appreciate 3
Gfit2759.50
P111593.00
      10-22-2022, 06:26 AM   #86
Znomorph4theWin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp M xDrive

I drove my car straight from the dealer to my PPF/Ceramic coating installer. It still had the white protective covering non the body panels.

Entire car is PPF’d and ceramic coated (inside and outside). It’s a huge investment/cost but I am super anal about scratches and rock chips so the piece of mind is greater than the cost.

Installer must be top notch and a perfectionist. Mine is flawless and could not be happier.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 08:10 AM   #87
superiaultra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red M3

I will ceramic coat and have my detailer do maintenance washes every 3 weeks. I’m still debating on PPF, got it one one of my past vehicles and made me more OCD than my cars without it. Front or the G8X is like 65%+ grille, I’m thinking just doing it on the aluminum parts and the fenders but who knows. I’m in status 112 I have a few to think about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 05:38 PM   #88
maverick618
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

Since I started this thread way back, and am now finally taking delivery of my car, I guess I'll share that I ultimately decided not to go with PPF. The price has gone up quite a bit in the last 10 months, and I have never been super anal about the appearance of my car.

What is more likely is I will do ceramic coating myself. Not too expensive and I can do it over a weekend, hopefully before it gets too cold. I figure that will be a nice help with keeping in clean in the winter.
Appreciate 0