THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2015 Mustang (What happened)

02-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #45
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

A M235 blew past me two days ago in 'Frisco. That car, with that engine...they hit a Home Run with it. Drive at your own peril.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #46
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

On this note, it seems some American cars - Dodge Hellcats - are at the point where the drivers aren't good enough anymore. Watch both videos on this link...the second one is hilarious, although be forewarned for offensive content.

http://thenewswheel.com/video-disgru...ellcat-owners/
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #47
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
New mustang is a looker but goodness, nearly 14 inches longer than my 228
      02-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #48
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

That was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
On this note, it seems some American cars - Dodge Hellcats - are at the point where the drivers aren't good enough anymore. Watch both videos on this link...the second one is hilarious, although be forewarned for offensive content.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #49
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:

"Use the #$%@#%^ Red Key!" Got it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #50
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehlion View Post
Nothing final yet...but I am VERY close to pulling the trigger on a M235i ED for a hair less than $40M (6MT, moonroof delete, silver metallic, HK sound). Likely will wait for a July or August delivery so I can get a 2016. Right now the soonest available is May so its only 2 more months.

Its more than I want to spend but I know I won't have any regrets...and I'm SURE I'll drive it for a long time. A word of advice to the would be car enthusiast... drive an In line 6 at your own risk, they are extremely addictive...I've come to the conclusion I just can't quit 'em!
I looked at (and test-drove) pretty much the same cars that you did and came to the same conclusion... EDing a lightly-optioned, moonroof-deleted m235i. Am I your evil twin??
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #51
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:

LOL! That is funny! Made my day!

All of which proves what has long been known: if you can't get the power to the ground... that monster engine won't do you much good.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #52
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
New mustang is a looker but goodness, nearly 14 inches longer than my 228
Wow! And 350lbs more in weight, too!
      02-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #53
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Even with the RED KEY I can't race an F-111? Shit, who needs this car then!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #54
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck1 View Post
Even with the RED KEY I can't race an F-111? Shit, who needs this car then!
And they didn't even mention the "secret" key.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #55
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehlion View Post
I have been searching the past 18 months for a replacement for my 2002 325i that I custom ordered and have been driving for the past 13 years. (6MT, sport pkg, silver metallic, split folding rear with ski bag). Its been a great car for a long time (oh btw leatherette>leather). I owned a 1999 323i prior to this car.

I wanted something similar but with 13 years worth of performance upgrade. Since both kids are in college now, I want to go with 2 doors, I also preferred to avoid paying a small fortune for parts/maintenance, so went into the search with a preference for non-German car (gasp).

I narrowed my search down to Nissan 370Z, Subaru BRZ, Eco-Boost Mustang, Mustang GT, 228i, M235i. I drove each of these cars and here is my feedback. All cars were driven with a 6MT except the 2 BMW's since apparently since my last purchase all mass market BMW drivers have forgotten how to shift there own gears (tragic).

Nissan 370Z: Looks IMHO better than average, cockpit nice, acceleration good, handling good. Engine, strong but not smooth. Visibility: HORRID. I mean this was a deal killer for me...I understand 2 door cars inherently have worse visibility than sedans, but I just couldn't feel comfortable in a car I could see well out of...sit it in one before you judge.

Subaru BRZ: Looks IMHO better than average, cockpit no frills, but everything I need. Value was awesome fully loaded for $25M. Handling was nice very nice, light and well balanced.. Engine was a complete jekyl and hide. If you drive boy racer RPM's the engine is descent. But anytime your needle is sub 4k this thing is a 4cyl budget box. I really wanted to love this car, but the complete absence of ANY torque scorned me.

Mustang GT: I drove this first. Looks IMHO awesome, I never thought I'd consider an American muscle car until this thing came it...I really don't care that everyone will have one, I like the way it looks a lot. Handling: Big, heavy, huge hood, BUT it grips VERY well with the performance pkg. Engine: Life altering power and force. Not as smooth as my I6 but much smoother than the Nissan. I like this car a lot, the engine soundtrack will put a smile on your face. I struggle with the heft, gas mileage, and the rapid depreciation. Also this car is about $40M optioned the way I'd want it. If there was a 2-3 year old version of this vehicle on the used market in mint shape post depreciation hit, this would be an easy decision.

Mustang Ecoboost: Looks and handling the same as the GT. Didn't notice the weight savings in the handling (this might speak to the GT's better performance pkg). Engine was a dog. This didn't feel like a 5.5 second car. The gap between these two models is massive in the egine department.

228i: Looks IMHO better than average but not as nice as the mustang. But the exclusivity covers some of this gap. Engine was much more powerful than the eco-boost stang, on par with the Nissan, but much more refined. engine soundtrack left a little to be desired. Handling: I was right at home which makes sense since this car has almost identical dimension and suspension setup to my current e46. The car is much faster than my current car, but the engine and handling felt less pure.... hard to describe this.

M235i: This engine rocks...its smooth AND very strong. Not as powerful at the GT, but easier to use. Handling is awesome, grip is so strong I had to make the salesman crap his pants before I could get the rear wheels to drift. I will say not as much "steering feel" as my e46. This car costs more than I want to pay for my next car. I know this car weighs a lot, but it felt materially lighter than the GT.

-----------------------------------------------

Nothing final yet...but I am VERY close to pulling the trigger on a M235i ED for a hair less than $40M (6MT, moonroof delete, silver metallic, HK sound). Likely will wait for a July or August delivery so I can get a 2016. Right now the soonest available is May so its only 2 more months.

Its more than I want to spend but I know I won't have any regrets...and I'm SURE I'll drive it for a long time. A word of advice to the would be car enthusiast... drive an In line 6 at your own risk, they are extremely addictive...I've come to the conclusion I just can't quit 'em!
Nice write up. The exact cars I looked at as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #56
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Nice write up. The exact cars I looked at as well.
Yep, agree with just about everything he said. Very nice writeup.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #57
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

228i vs Mustang Cobra.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #58
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX767
Mama said if you don't have anything nice to say.....Ok, I'll be the bad guy here. Don't compare that cheap plastic piece of junk american muscle car to a german BMW. C'mon. Seriously.
Hahaha. Either this is great bait or a terrible post.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #59
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

i went to a dealership to check out a GT.

i mean i think its a nice looking car on the road.

but 3 biggest turn offs don't even have anything to do with performance.

first off the ford dealer (and i've noticed this with a lot of non luxury dealers) basically followed my friend and i around the whole time like if they left us alone in the car we were going to steal all the knobs and carve our names into the dash. and that just made me think, no matter how well this car performs that experience sucks.

and the second thing was the interior. sure maybe the materials are at least semi ok in the new car. its not luxury car good, its not even new mazda 3 good (admittedly the new mazda 3 interior is great). but the main thing with me was having to look at that interior. i care about aesthetics but the interior of the new mustang feels like whoever designed it, designed it to appeal to the eyes of a 14 year old. because it looks just unelegant. yeah its a non premium make, but it feels like they just took an F150 interior and put some sport seats in it, and called it a day.

and third, the car is huge. its about the size of a 5 series. and yeah the 5 series is a good handling car for its size, but in the end its going to be harder to park, and it just is going to be big

the car is a pretty decent bargain, but its not THAT much better value wise than say an m235 or 228i on a performance basis.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #60
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

I owned this cobra and i own a 235... stock i dont see these cars (228/235 to cobra) on a 1/4 being anywhere close. I put $2000 into my cobra and was pushing 520/500 to the wheels. It was a 10second car (crushed even my z06). I miss that Cobra very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBro2002 View Post
228i vs Mustang Cobra.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #61
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post

and the second thing was the interior. sure maybe the materials are at least semi ok in the new car. its not luxury car good, its not even new mazda 3 good (admittedly the new mazda 3 interior is great). but the main thing with me was having to look at that interior. i care about aesthetics but the interior of the new mustang feels like whoever designed it, designed it to appeal to the eyes of a 14 year old. because it looks just unelegant. yeah its a non premium make, but it feels like they just took an F150 interior and put some sport seats in it, and called it a day.

and third, the car is huge. its about the size of a 5 series. and yeah the 5 series is a good handling car for its size, but in the end its going to be harder to park, and it just is going to be big

the car is a pretty decent bargain, but its not THAT much better value wise than say an m235 or 228i on a performance basis.
I agree with all of this. The Mustang's size and interior were both major turnoffs for me as well. Visibility is also a big thing for me, and the 2-series is better in this regard, too. The Mustang's horrendous rear headroom is also something that I noted, though that's more of a minor issue as I wouldn't be sitting back there.

I will say, though, that the new Mustang is a pretty good value. Even the base v6 model offers a lot of bang for the buck. If I were a kid just out of school with a first job and looking to buy a new car, the Mustang would be a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #62
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007
i went to a dealership to check out a GT.

i mean i think its a nice looking car on the road.

but 3 biggest turn offs don't even have anything to do with performance.

first off the ford dealer (and i've noticed this with a lot of non luxury dealers) basically followed my friend and i around the whole time like if they left us alone in the car we were going to steal all the knobs and carve our names into the dash. and that just made me think, no matter how well this car performs that experience sucks.

You had a very different experience than me. My dealer got in touch with me by email, and I told the guy (then soon to be sales guy) I was interested in a Mustang but was also trying out other cars too (2er, Mk7 GTI, and others). I ended up walking into the dealership without an appointment, told him I was wondering if they had any in stock yet, and he said wait one minute and handed me the keys to go for a drive. My experience with them from the beginning was great. Everyone talks to me like a car guy, which is what I value above all else.

Two, it really depends on what Mustang variant you sit in. There's a huge range of materials and two major separate dash styles depending on how you spec the car. If you sit in a premium model with the premier trimming (and Recaros), it shits on that Mazda 3. I'd say it's comparable to a standard 2er, although there are certain areas like the matte plastic bezel around the GPS that aren't as good. Otherwise there is plenty of hi-qual leather, vinyl, and various squishy/soft touch materials covering most every surface. I was not impressed with the Mustangs I drove until I got in a loaded spec. I'd say it's almost a lateral move from my E92, which I still have with me.

Size is something that you get used to over the course of ownership. Smaller overhangs would be preferable, but I've grown to love it. The wheelbase is solid, around 107-108" I think.

Either way, I spent 2er money on this car because Ford allocated the bulk of its budget toward what's under the skin. I didn't buy it for the leather or the luxury; I bought it because it's one hell of a starting platform. 500 crank should be easily within reach after basic bolt ons and a tune. It's a hell of a chassis and puts the power down well too. If you like modding cars and value performance over luxury, it's the clear choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #63
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post

?? Way better performance value - faster/cheaper
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #64
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I'll tell you the number 1 worst thing about buying a brand new Mustang off the lot. They lose value faster than 95% of any other comparable cars. Reason being is because Ford loves to offer REDICULOUS rebates at the end of the model years(~$5-6K). Seeing how most cars take the biggest hit in the first year of ownership, a stupid high rebate is a killer for people that don't keep a car longer than a couple years.

Now if you plan to buy one with the intention of keeping it for 5+ years, by all means it will be fun and the aftermarket puts the N54/55 market to shame.

I've owned 6 different 11+ 5.0's in the past 4 years:

2011 5.0 6MT Whipple SC
2012 5.0 Auto
2013 5.0 Auto FBO
2013 5.0 6MT Hellion 67mm Single
2014 5.0 6MT Paxton SC
2014 5.0 6MT FBO.

The only Mustang that I would even consider in the next year or so would be the GT350. The '15 went completely in the wrong direction for me.

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #65
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i
I'll tell you the number 1 worst thing about buying a brand new Mustang off the lot. They lose value faster than 95% of any other comparable cars. Reason being is because Ford loves to offer REDICULOUS rebates at the end of the model years(~$5-6K). Seeing how most cars take the biggest hit in the first year of ownership, a stupid high rebate is a killer for people that don't keep a car longer than a couple years.

Now if you plan to buy one with the intention of keeping it for 5+ years, by all means it will be fun and the aftermarket puts the N54/55 market to shame.

I've owned 6 different 11+ 5.0's in the past 4 years:

2011 5.0 6MT Whipple SC
2012 5.0 Auto
2013 5.0 Auto FBO
2013 5.0 6MT Hellion 67mm Single
2014 5.0 6MT Paxton SC
2014 5.0 6MT FBO.

The only Mustang that I would even consider in the next year or so would be the GT350. The '15 went completely in the wrong direction for me.

-Nick
Why so many S197s?

I'll own this car until it hits rock bottom. My 335i was a hair over 50k OTD back in 2008 and is now worth maybe 10-12k. I'm not adverse to the idea of value tankers since I run them into the ground.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #66
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Why so many S197s?

I'll own this car until it hits rock bottom. My 335i was a hair over 50k OTD back in 2008 and is now worth maybe 10-12k. I'm not adverse to the idea of value tankers since I run them into the ground.
It's just how I am. I get bored with cars pretty quickly. I've had 48 cars since I was 16 and I'll be 33 this August. I build them up and then start on a new one. I've had a handful of FBO N54 135/335's as well.
Appreciate 0