E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rearended! Pics.. what kind of damage?

02-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #45
gunsekun
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If it's just the bumper... prob $1.5k..... I would get the Mtech with Carbon Fiber Diff
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #46
stan_betz
Rep
Drives: Black colour, 5.2metres long

Since the other driver’s car insurance would be paying, might as well have your car checked from the best body shop and go for the best parts as well. Teach her a lesson to pay attention to the road in future.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #47
Antartic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2018

Ok its getting tricky now. I called up the insurance company, and they said that the driver (i.e. the lady) was unlicensed and was using the car which is insured under her dad's name.

She also told the insurance people that she did not have permission from her dad to drive the car.. which is definitely a plot to screw me over.

The insurance people will be talking to the dad before reaching their verdict.

Is there anything else that I can do, before I fork out the cash myself? thanks for any advice guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #48
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartic View Post
Ok its getting tricky now. I called up the insurance company, and they said that the driver (i.e. the lady) was unlicensed and was using the car which is insured under her dad's name.

She also told the insurance people that she did not have permission from her dad to drive the car.. which is definitely a plot to screw me over.

The insurance people will be talking to the dad before reaching their verdict.

Is there anything else that I can do, before I fork out the cash myself? thanks for any advice guys.
Yes, your insurance will pay out, that falls under "uninsured motorist" coverage. Call your insurance company, tell them what happened, and then it becomes their problem to get the money.
      02-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #49
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

OUCH! It's been over three weeks, and there still isn't anything progressively going on w/ your claim. Like dmurray mentioned, just use your insurance for the meantime. Sooner or later I'm sure you'll recover your losses in full (by reimbursement). It almost seems like you're getting impatient and stressed out over this matter. Let your insurance mess w/ it all, and so you can be on your way.

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #50
Antartic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Yes, your insurance will pay out, that falls under "uninsured motorist" coverage. Call your insurance company, tell them what happened, and then it becomes their problem to get the money.
Wont doing this raise my insurance premiums? Thats only why I wanted to go with the other insurance, and leave mine untouched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Graphite07 View Post
OUCH! It's been over three weeks, and there still isn't anything progressively going on w/ your claim. Like dmurray mentioned, just use your insurance for the meantime. Sooner or later I'm sure you'll recover your losses in full (by reimbursement). It almost seems like you're getting impatient and stressed out over this matter. Let your insurance mess w/ it all, and so you can be on your way.
I agree I am getting impatient largely because its been three weeks and the other insurance has not been doing anything to help. They were simply sitting around for the first two weeks... after repeated calls (and faxing them a copy of the police report) they managed to get hold of the driver, but still don't have a resolution for me.

another reason i dont want to involve my insurance is that the body shop quoted the damages at $1014. My deductible is $1000, so i might as well pay out of pocket, unless the body shop discovers more damage... then it will be the insurance. But if u all think that i can recover the money, then going by my insurance may be the best.

thanks for all the help guys
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #51
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I have some answers...

This happened to me with an MR2 Turbo (that the other guy totaled) I used to own. I claimed the damage through uninsured/underinsured motorist.

Quote:
Wont doing this raise my insurance premiums? Thats only why I wanted to go with the other insurance, and leave mine untouched.
If you claim the damage as uninsured motorist your premiums will not increase. If you do not have uninsured motorist it would be claimed through collision which would affect your premiums.

Quote:
I agree I am getting impatient largely because its been three weeks and the other insurance has not been doing anything to help. They were simply sitting around for the first two weeks... after repeated calls (and faxing them a copy of the police report) they managed to get hold of the driver, but still don't have a resolution for me.

another reason i dont want to involve my insurance is that the body shop quoted the damages at $1014. My deductible is $1000, so i might as well pay out of pocket, unless the body shop discovers more damage... then it will be the insurance. But if u all think that i can recover the money, then going by my insurance may be the best.

thanks for all the help guys
If you claim uninsured motorist your deductible does not apply.

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #52
Antartic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I finally got my car back with the bumper replaced yesterday.... I ended up going through my collision coverage.

Thankfully my insurance company was able to recover the damages from the lady's insurance and reimbursed my deductible.

The only damages were the bumper cover and diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #53
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

Make sure you check out reputable places not just want the ins co wants.

You don't have to go where the insurance tells you but you are limited to what they will pay.

It may not only be a bumper cover. There are compression shocks under, foam, ABS plastic, metal, etc. All that will need to be inspected. Once the compression shocks are "compressed", they are unusable and somewhat expensive to replace.

A new bumper cover and foam, no problem < $1500. Anything more then your <$5k range.

Also don't take for granted that other things didn't shift like the engine. Have someone inspect the engine mounts, etc. Was the exhaust system it or not, if you rip rubber hangers or cause leaks in the system. The rear alignment could be thrown off also. You mentioned the car drives funny? How or is it in your head now. Unlikely there is frame damage based on what you showed.

BUT...again based on the picture, it all looks fine and sometimes a rear tap can feel like 20mph when its really <5mph. BTW the bumpers are really only rated to 5+mph.

Quote:
I just got rearended today.... texas drivers are the worst! a lady on her cellphone in a suv rammed be in the back.

It seems that i can get away by replacing the rear bumper... but what do you all think? do you think there may be frame damage or some other serious issues?

i will be going through her insurance, so cost is not an issue, but i need to make sure i take it to a good body shop. Being new to houston, I have no idea of a good body shop- bmw's website says there are NO bmw certified collision centers!!!

The car drives funny and the head restraint of my seat didn't activate- i can move the headrest. No dashbord malfunction lights are on either.

I hope i don't have any frame damage... that will suck. My trunk lid opens and closes fine. The impact was hard, but seems like the damage is limited to bumper?

thanks guys!

MORE PICS AT POST NUMBER 15
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #54
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

oops just saw your post.

Glad it worked out, like most said it looked like a simply bumper cover replacement but ya never know.

Quote:
I finally got my car back with the bumper replaced yesterday.... I ended up going through my collision coverage.

Thankfully my insurance company was able to recover the damages from the lady's insurance and reimbursed my deductible.

The only damages were the bumper cover and diffuser.
Appreciate 0