THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Does anyone not get PPF?

02-19-2022, 01:14 AM   #45
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
I got one on the crease of the bumper with only 900 miles on car and said...thats it and appointment made. Get my car back tomorrow and although 3100.00 light in the pocket, I can drive my car in peace.
What is $3100 getting you?

I will be getting full front PPF (Full hood, front bumper, full fenders, & mirror caps) I was thinking about also adding both front doors to the list, total for everything would be $3000.00. The vehicle is also scheduled for a full ceramic coating including the rims/brake calipers. which is about another $1500.00

In total everything will be around $4750 I believe. This is the first vehicle I will be doing this on but it will also be the most expensive vehicle to date & I choose not to skimp out on any options. Very excited for this cars arrival!

I already have a list of "to buy" things that I'm going through in anticipation for arrival. Silly things like weather techs, reflector deletes, roundels, spacers. etc.etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 10:58 AM   #46
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
hat is $3100 getting you?

I will be getting full front PPF (Full hood, front bumper, full fenders, & mirror caps) I was thinking about also adding both front doors to the list, total for everything would be $3000.00. The vehicle is also scheduled for a full ceramic coating including the rims/brake calipers. which is about another $1500.00

In total everything will be around $4750 I believe. This is the first vehicle I will be doing this on but it will also be the most expensive vehicle to date & I choose not to skimp out on any options. Very excited for this cars arrival!

I already have a list of "to buy" things that I'm going through in anticipation for arrival. Silly things like weather techs, reflector deletes, roundels, spacers. etc.etc.
I had full front including lights and mirrors. I also did the rocker panels all the way to the back which includes removing factory PPF. Rear bumper was done about 3 inches up and below trunk for dumb ass valets. B pillar was included also and I got XR Supreme 35% tint. He PPF on doors up to seam to include side skirts of course.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:25 PM   #47
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Grumpy514;28605024"
hat is $3100 getting you?

I had full front including lights and mirrors. I also did the rocker panels all the way to the back which includes removing factory PPF. Rear bumper was done about 3 inches up and below trunk for dumb ass valets. B pillar was included also and I got XR Supreme 35% tint. He PPF on doors up to seam to include side skirts of course.
Does the factory include some PPF? (Or is that reference to the shipping protection materials?)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:46 PM   #48
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Does the factory include some PPF? (Or is that reference to the shipping protection materials?)
It's the ppf on the fear fender on the front arch. It's ok but I have more coverage now.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      02-19-2022, 05:10 PM   #49
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "BardG;28606375"
It's the ppf on the fear fender on the front arch. It's ok but I have more coverage now.
Gotcha, thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 08:18 PM   #50
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Didn't go with PPF. Just ceramic here. My reasoning was because I barely drive (less than 8k miles/yr), don't take it on long road trips and only keeping the car a few years. I felt that it wasn't cost effective for my purposes.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #51
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

I've quite torn on this one: I lease my cars, normally don't keep them more than about 3 years or so. Completely get the logic challenging spending a significant amount of money on a product which helps but doesn't actually prevent rock chips. And, it can lift and peel.

I'm not concerned about protecting my car for the next owner, I love my cars, want them to look and perform well. If something needs fixing, I do it right away. If I get a few rock chips, they jump out at me and bug me. I live where we have real winter conditions, which include sand and gravel applications after snow falls etc.

I guess my primary question is: Does PPF substantially protect or minimize rock chips and road rash?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 04:43 PM   #52
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Quote:
I've quite torn on this one: I lease my cars, normally don't keep them more than about 3 years or so. Completely get the logic challenging spending a significant amount of money on a product which helps but doesn't actually prevent rock chips. And, it can lift and peel.

I'm not concerned about protecting my car for the next owner, I love my cars, want them to look and perform well. If something needs fixing, I do it right away. If I get a few rock chips, they jump out at me and bug me. I live where we have real winter conditions, which include sand and gravel applications after snow falls etc.

I guess my primary question is: Does PPF substantially protect or minimize rock chips and road rash?
That's a tough call. On one hand you lease but your environment dose provide some harsher conditions than other places. It comes down to how often are you're driving it through these conditions, do you have a secondary car, even the color can be a decisioning factor (light vs dark color).

PPF does help protect against road debris but of course anything large enough is going to make a significant mark and that'll probably bug you that'll you want to repair it.

My last two leased cars I didn't PPF nor ceramic coated but I purchased the g80 and felt the need to baby her a little bit.
Appreciate 1
BardG212.50
      02-20-2022, 06:04 PM   #53
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoi19 View Post
Quote:

That's a tough call. On one hand you lease but your environment dose provide some harsher conditions than other places. It comes down to how often are you're driving it through these conditions, do you have a secondary car, even the color can be a decisioning factor (light vs dark color).

PPF does help protect against road debris but of course anything large enough is going to make a significant mark and that'll probably bug you that'll you want to repair it.

My last two leased cars I didn't PPF nor ceramic coated but I purchased the g80 and felt the need to baby her a little bit.
Good comments, all, thank you. I'm leaning toward PPF on the grill, hood and front fenders. I'm hoping it will repel the smaller sand and gravel. I know if a bigger rock impacts the car I will have damage. (Which I just hate&#128545
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 04:31 PM   #54
DCG82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BWM M4

Anyone avoid PPF on the laser light headlamps? I have read conflicting information that the film can cause damage by:

removing coating that is on the lamps
cause condensation issues
cause delaminating

Are the above real concerns?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 09:08 PM   #55
LuxemburgBMV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive msport

Garage List
I have wondered if the money is better spent repainting the bumper and hood five years in. But I live where it snows so maybe it makes more sense. Salt, dirt, and sometimes gravel that they put down all get kicked up. And with this low front end I will be pushing snow and ice some days. So I decided to spend the money but it was not without hesitation given the cost.
Appreciate 2
BardG212.50
JDUNITNOW3595.50
      02-28-2022, 05:37 PM   #56
maverick618
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 6MT

Im still undecided on PPF. I may have the very front done, if anything. My concern is that even with PPF, living in an area with legit winter is going to make it a near impossibility to keep the paint pristine. The cost of PPF may be better spent on ceramic and periodic paint corrections.

Does anyone have experience with damage going through the PPF? Is paint correction/reapplication covered by any kind of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 07:36 AM   #57
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoi19 View Post
Didn't go with PPF. Just ceramic here. My reasoning was because I barely drive (less than 8k miles/yr), don't take it on long road trips and only keeping the car a few years. I felt that it wasn't cost effective for my purposes.
Same. I also dont ride peoples asses.
Appreciate 1
evoi191562.00
      03-13-2022, 07:57 AM   #58
J444VVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 M3 Xdrive

Mine is currently in getting full ppf, I didn't get it done on my LBB M2c and had chips all over the place and regretted it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 10:38 AM   #59
DCG82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ste View Post
Mine is currently in getting full ppf, I didn't get it done on my LBB M2c and had chips all over the place and regretted it.
Looks good. Did your shop also wrap the gloss black slates in the grill?

Last edited by DCG82; 03-13-2022 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 10:45 AM   #60
J444VVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG82 View Post
Quote:
Looks good. Did your shop also wrap the glass black slates in the grill?
Quote:
Quote:
Looks good. Did your shop also wrap the glass black slates in the grill?
Yes everything black, carbon or painted
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #61
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I did front end PPF plus rocker panels and partial rear bumper.

I wouldn't do it again TBH

I wasn't 100% happy with the install and a valet parking guy scratched my bumper slightly and the PPF didn't help at all. Paint is still is marked

Doesn't really do much for the resale value and they held on to my car for nearly two weeks while doing the PPF, ceramic tints etc so the down time is a consideration too
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #62
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Never done it. Never even considered it. That's a ton of money to somewhat protect a car from its normal operating environment. Reminds me of when my Grandma used to cover the couches in plastic. Couch still got old. Cushions still got saggy. Just looked a little better when she threw it out.
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2022, 11:03 AM   #63
DCG82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post

I wasn't 100% happy with the install and a valet parking guy scratched my bumper slightly and the PPF didn't help at all. Paint is still is marked

Doesn't really do much for the resale value and they held on to my car for nearly two weeks while doing the PPF, ceramic tints etc so the down time is a consideration too
Mine is currently at the shop for install. I went back and forth with doing it but ultimately decided to go for it.

What weren’t you happy with on the install? This is my first PPF so I want to know what to look out for when I pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 11:15 AM   #64
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post

Mine is currently at the shop for install. I went back and forth with doing it but ultimately decided to go for it.

What weren’t you happy with on the install? This is my first PPF so I want to know what to look out for when I pick it up.
What made you finally decide to do it?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #65
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

I've stated I don't think it's worth the money but I don't tailgate and It'll be a fair-weather car. Another consideration is if you do it shortly after receiving the car from the factory it may not give the paint ample time to cure and harden
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 11:36 AM   #66
DCG82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What made you finally decide to do it?
Rock chips and dings drive me crazy. My F82 had rock chip damage on the front bumper and hood and it bothered me. I also have a Lotus which needs a re-spray on the rocker panels because they have been sand blasted by road debris.

I waited so damn long for my G82 build I wanted to enjoy it for awhile without being annoyed with road damage.
Appreciate 0