THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board anyone have fire sprinklers *inside* their home?

11-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #23
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
And here I thought Canada was a Nanny state…

Sprinklers in single family detached homes lol. That’s hilarious.
Appreciate 2
      11-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #24
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I’ve never had one, but I’ve only lived in OLD condos and older single family homes. I know most hotels have them.

Wouldn’t the maintenance of these fall on the condo though?
It does in our building. It would be a little foolish to rely on individual owners to maintain stuff that could affect the rest of the building. Our building also handles ac maintenance because there is no guarantee people will actually get it done themselves and that could create a backed up line / water damage. Can never rely on other people having common sense.
King Rudi13065.50
upstatedoc7527.50
540iSUP716.50
      11-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #25
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
And here I thought Canada was a Nanny state…

Sprinklers in single family detached homes lol. That’s hilarious.
Remember this is the country, the only country, that had to have a baby buggy recall (of one that is sold all over the world) because people were cutting their kids fingers off folding it up.

But seriously they are a good idea and would probably pay for themselves in insurance premiums over a decade anyway. I only think they are "mandated" for multi-family dwellings there though.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #26
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Not a fan of sprinkler systems. I know the statistics as I had to write a Capital Project last year for work to remediate our existing sprinkler system. I get that it's safer to have one than not, it just makes sense; however, I still wouldn't want one. Leaks occur over time and no system is 100%. Yes the amount of fire damage is reduced in the event of a fire. Yes, it's better for a sprinkler system to to extinguish a fire versus the fire department doing it. But, one sprinkler system mishap can do a world of damage quickly....and trust me, if you have an existing system, you do not want to know the state of the water in those pipes.

In the event of a fire in your home, it's a matter of getting everyone out safely not reducing damage to your home. Screw the house, save your family. Let the insurance deal with the damage.
Appreciate 5
RickFLM411521.50
Buug95921458.50
Todd0131379.50
540iSUP716.50
      11-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
They save lives, and decrease homeowners insurance premium. You should be more worried if you don't have them.
Oh, for sure. However, like I said, I'm very careful and just have a fear of some glitch setting them off somehow, so if the other units had it but I didn't that would be perfectly fine lol.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Not a fan of sprinkler systems. I know the statistics as I had to write a Capital Project last year for work to remediate our existing sprinkler system. I get that it's safer to have one than not, it just makes sense; however, I still wouldn't want one. Leaks occur over time and no system is 100%. Yes the amount of fire damage is reduced in the event of a fire. Yes, it's better for a sprinkler system to to extinguish a fire versus the fire department doing it. But, one sprinkler system mishap can do a world of damage quickly....and trust me, if you have an existing system, you do not want to know the state of the water in those pipes.

In the event of a fire in your home, it's a matter of getting everyone out safely not reducing damage to your home. Screw the house, save your family. Let the insurance deal with the damage.
Ya, agreed, and I don't understand for condos why having them in the various common areas isn't enough but they have to have them inside the units as well. That makes me nervous no matter the assurances.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13065.50
      11-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #29
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Anyone know the temp required for the sprinkler head to engage? 150° F

Anyone know the temp your oven defaults to in order to preheat? It's rhetorical and you should. Spoiler, it's great than 150° F

Hard pass
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #30
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, agreed, and I don't understand for condos why having them in the various common areas isn't enough but they have to have them inside the units as well. That makes me nervous no matter the assurances.
Same reason why the middle school near me requires 15 MPH school zone speed limit for close to a mile and has (no joke) 15+ crossing guards. Meanwhile most kids don't walk or take their bikes to school anymore. They are on busses or the long line of parental vehicles lined up to drop off. Someone decided it was necessary and so it became law.
      11-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #31
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Same reason why the middle school near me requires 15 MPH school zone speed limit for close to a mile and has (no joke) 15+ crossing guards. Meanwhile most kids don't walk or take their bikes to school anymore. They are on busses or the long line of parental vehicles lined up to drop off. Someone decided it was necessary and so it became law.
Oh, I totally get your pt, but I don't mind slowing down near school zones, it's really no biggie to me and unfortunately we still get too many kids being run over. A local tragedy happened where is person was supposedly traveling at normal speeds but still happened to run over a kid crossing the st at a stop sign intersection to go to his dad...no idea why she didn't see the kid at the sign and she just pressed the gas, and the dad must be torturing himself why he didn't cross the st to the school instead of waiting for his son to cross...just a moment of absentmindedness. Just horrible.

So I'm fine w the above, vs my potential unit being flooded because of some crazy fluke accident, that's a bit nerve-wracking.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #32
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Oh, for sure. However, like I said, I'm very careful and just have a fear of some glitch setting them off somehow, so if the other units had it but I didn't that would be perfectly fine lol.
Don't use it as a coat hanger and you'll be fine!

And no it's not like opening the oven will set it off, you need over 155F+ consistently over the head for a bit before it'll go off.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #33
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I totally get your pt, but I don't mind slowing down near school zones, it's really no biggie to me and unfortunately we still get too many kids being run over. A local tragedy happened where is person was supposedly traveling at normal speeds but still happened to run over a kid crossing the st at a stop sign intersection to go to his dad...no idea why she didn't see the kid at the sign and she just pressed the gas, and the dad must be torturing himself why he didn't cross the st to the school instead of waiting for his son to cross...just a moment of absentmindedness. Just horrible.

So I'm fine w the above, vs my potential unit being flooded because of some crazy fluke accident, that's a bit nerve-wracking.
School zone speed limit near schools is fine but 15+ crossing guards standing around because kids are taking the bus or getting dropped off and extensive school zone is overkill.
      11-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
School zone speed limit near schools is fine but 15+ crossing guards standing around because kids are taking the bus or getting dropped off and extensive school zone is overkill.
...but are your 15+ crossing guards just jumping onto the streets stopping traffic out of nowhere? Otherwise, they're just standing on the sidelines unless a kid wants to cross, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #35
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
But, one sprinkler system mishap can do a world of damage quickly....and trust me, if you have an existing system, you do not want to know the state of the water in those pipes.
My employer had a brand new building constructed about 15 years ago. It was days away from the ribbon cutting, and we already had the brand new network gear, PBX node, and a full cable TV head-end with 75 or so satellite TV receivers mounted in racks in the main network/TV/telco closet.

As one of the last steps for the building's certificate of occupancy, the sprinkler system needed to be pressurized. One of the sprinkler heads in said main closet popped as the water pressure came up, which popped a few more. Even though it was all brand new piping, the rusty rain that fell destroyed all of the electronics before they could shut the water off! We had to scramble to get replacement stuff ordered/installed ASAP, and let the construction contractors and insurance company fight it out over the $200K+ replacement equipment bill afterwards. I cringe thinking about the rust in an older building's sprinkler pipes after seeing what came out of brand new ones!

With that said, a functional sprinkler system is on my must-have list when we get around to building our Garage Mahal barndominium in a few years - even if it is not required by residential code.....
Tyga113415.00
540iSUP716.50
      11-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #36
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My employer had a brand new building constructed about 15 years ago. It was days away from the ribbon cutting, and we already had the brand new network gear, PBX node, and a full cable TV head-end with 75 or so satellite TV receivers mounted in racks in the main network/TV/telco closet.

As one of the last steps for the building's certificate of occupancy, the sprinkler system needed to be pressurized. One of the sprinkler heads in said main closet popped as the water pressure came up, which popped a few more. Even though it was all brand new piping, the rusty rain that fell destroyed all of the electronics before they could shut the water off! We had to scramble to get replacement stuff ordered/installed ASAP, and let the construction contractors and insurance company fight it out over the $200K+ replacement equipment bill afterwards. I cringe thinking about the rust in an older building's sprinkler pipes after seeing what came out of brand new ones!

With that said, a functional sprinkler system is on my must-have list when we get around to building our Garage Mahal barndominium in a few years - even if it is not required by residential code.....
When we did our sprinkler system last year, the stuff that came out of those pipes was nightmare fuel. Our building is 30 years old.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619168.00
      11-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #37
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp

I bought my first condo in 2012 and my neighbor's sprinkler system malfunctioned. The neighbors' downstairs condo was badly damaged by water. The firefighters couldn't figure out how to shut the system off - it took almost 2 hours. It was quite the scene.

So yeah, I'm against sprinklers
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13065.50
      11-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #38
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Anyone know the temp required for the sprinkler head to engage? 150° F

Anyone know the temp your oven defaults to in order to preheat? It's rhetorical and you should. Spoiler, it's great than 150° F

Hard pass
So I wont hold my oven up to my sprinkler heads. Thanks for that incredibly useful advice.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP716.50
      11-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #39
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
When we did our sprinkler system last year, the stuff that came out of those pipes was nightmare fuel. Our building is 30 years old.
That's why you do regular maintenance. Its really not that hard. My valves and checks are in the garage and the system can be flushed if you wanted, but they have never recommended it. My house is fairly new and its municipal water in an anaerobic environment so corrosion and growth is rare.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP716.50
      11-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #40
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Oh great, tx for fueling my nightmares lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I bought my first condo in 2012 and my neighbor's sprinkler system malfunctioned. The neighbors' downstairs condo was badly damaged by water. The firefighters couldn't figure out how to shut the system off - it took almost 2 hours. It was quite the scene.

So yeah, I'm against sprinklers
Ditto above haha.

Anyway, I read that the failure rate is supposedly very low: 1 in 16M (excluding human error)...so I wonder how many of these fail stories were indeed caused by ppl and not just a fluke thing?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619168.00
      11-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #41
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Sprinklers protect the structure but not the contents. I don’t know if they make it easier for people to exit a building/house on fire or make it harder (steam in the air, water pouring down, vs suppression of the fire). But I’ve not seen an insurance company on the personal side argue for them, it is always the property insurers that want them, in commercial/business settings.

I’ve thought about putting them in my houses over the years (retrofit is insanely expensive and ugly), and wondered if a dry system (freeze protection) is better than wet, etc. As someone commented above, the junk in the pipe is nasty so that plus all the water will ruin every piece of furniture, drywall, art, paper, electronics, etc. Contents will not survive a sprinkler activation, so it damn well better be for a fire and not accidental. Of course contents won’t survive a fire/smoke much better, if at all.

So I guess it comes down to the risk of fire vs the risk of accidental sprinkler activation, with cost being an obvious negative and life-saving potentially a positive (but I’m not really smart on that issue).

In some areas I would consider having a swimming pool and sprinklers on the roof ridge, etc that would pump from the pool reservoir for wildfire suppression, but I’m not sure I’d do interior sprinkling.

Current house is two stories of cinder block construction on a slab with Spanish tile roof, so minimal risk of fire from exterior. Interior floors are tile, with wood joists/sub flooring and firring for drywall (which is fire resistant). So our fire risk is the wood parts of the structure (electrical cause I suppose), and contents (furniture etc). Seems we have a very low fire risk. So sprinklers here are a no, for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #42
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:

For a garage, wouldn’t a non-water system be better because of the fuels/oils? Not rhetorical, I really don’t know.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #43
IllSic_Design
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 328i

my house has them and it was built in 2000
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #44
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

This topic has got me researching lots, found this useful tool for ~US$90, so that alleviates some anxiety as it can plug up the water release if it was accidental. Ofc, I'd need to be home at the time though to physically use it but at least it's something.

https://quickstoptool.com/
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619168.00