THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New 2 Series G42 - leaked pictures ?!

05-05-2020, 12:55 AM   #23
mb67
In search of the perfect cup of coffee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Conv

Contrary to the jaded populace on this forum, I honestly think it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #24
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.38]
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
First impression; it's different. I'd have to see more, but I think with time I could grow to accustomed to it. For a while, I thought the 2018 LCI was weird looking; the interior trim was all backwards from the previous version, but I got used to that too in my wifes car.

Fortunately, nothing about this car makes me gag like the front end of the new 4-series. Not that I want a 4-series, but I will never buy that car due to the OVERSIZED grille alone.
"The new 4-series"? That's odd...it hasn't been introduced yet, and it will have the same front end as the G20 3-series. You must be referring to those frighteningly ugly "concept" cars. Think about it - why would BMW spend millions to tool up for an entirely different front end for what is basically the same car minus 2 doors?

The G44 Gran Coupe is based on the FWD/AWD UKL MINI chassis, like the X1 and X2. Judging by the success of the M2, M2C, and M2CS, it's not likely that the 2-series will migrate to the UKL platform.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey

Last edited by RoundelM3; 05-05-2020 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
"The new 4-series"? That's odd...it hasn't been introduced yet, and it will have the same front end as the G20 3-series. You must be referring to those frighteningly ugly "concept" cars. Think about it - why would BMW spend millions to tool up for an entirely different front end for what is basically the same car minus 2 doors?
While deriving from the same platform program, the 4 Series is significantly differentiated from the 3 Series. It's not just minus two doors.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/846776/...rototype-test/

Actually, because of the softer material from which fascias are produced, the tooling is much lower cost and has quicker production timelines than for sheetmetal. Among the easiest, cost-efficient changes an OEM can make is to hold the front fenders/hood and then offer a unique front fascia. We see this even for price class distinction from Sportline to MSport to M. Once the decision is made to create a new fascia, the degree of shape change has little to no cost effect as long as the mating points are maintained.

The reason why OEMs do this is to enhance appeal to a unique set of buyers, versus substituting from among those already predisposed to the 3 Sedan. Being seen as just the two-door version of the sedan is underwhelming, as contrasted to gaining consideration with avant-garde design. Given the cost efficiency of the solutions BMW has chosen, it takes very little incrementality of vehicle volume to result in a very favorable business case.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
Poochie9118.00
      05-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #26
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.38]
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
While deriving from the same platform program, the 4 Series is significantly differentiated from the 3 Series. It's not just minus two doors.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/846776/...rototype-test/

Actually, because of the softer material from which fascias are produced, the tooling is much lower cost and has quicker production timelines than for sheetmetal. Among the easiest, cost-efficient changes an OEM can make is to hold the front fenders/hood and then offer a unique front fascia. We see this even for price class distinction from Sportline to MSport to M. Once the decision is made to create a new fascia, the degree of shape change has little to no cost effect as long as the mating points are maintained.

The reason why OEMs do this is to enhance appeal to a unique set of buyers, versus substituting from among those already predisposed to the 3 Sedan. Being seen as just the two-door version of the sedan is underwhelming, as contrasted to gaining consideration with avant-garde design. Given the cost efficiency of the solutions BMW has chosen, it takes very little incrementality of vehicle volume to result in a very favorable business case.
Since the 4-series was introduced, it has always had the same front fascia as the 3-series, and other than the 2-door body shell, it has not differed significantly as you state. The comparison your link refers to is that of the G-platform 4-series, and that platform has some significant differences from that of the F-platform. It has the same proportions as the current G20 sedan - slightly larger than the F-platform.

While your suggestion about "an OEM" might be correct in the general sense, history says that BMW will not have a completely-different front end on the G22/23. There is currently no evidence to the contrary. The exceedingly ugly upright kidney-grille design may show up on the upcoming i4 EV, but the concept cars with this design have generated significant negative response.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #27
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Since the 4-series was introduced, it has always had the same front fascia as the 3-series, and other than the 2-door body shell, it has not differed significantly as you state. The comparison your link refers to is that of the G-platform 4-series, and that platform has some significant differences from that of the F-platform. It has the same proportions as the current G20 sedan - slightly larger than the F-platform.

While your suggestion about "an OEM" might be correct in the general sense, history says that BMW will not have a completely-different front end on the G22/23. There is currently no evidence to the contrary. The exceedingly ugly upright kidney-grille design may show up on the upcoming i4 EV, but the concept cars with this design have generated significant negative response.
I don't have a link handy, but BMW's management has explicitely stated that this generation 4 series will be "more different" than any previous 4 series or 3 series coupe compared to the 3 series sedan.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
I agree about wishing it wasn't so, but camoflauged and revealed prototypes and pilots seem to augur differently. Offered for admission, exhibits 1, 2, 3, and 4.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ototype-drive/

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #29
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post

Exactly, the new (next) 4 series, not the current 4 series. Those giant grilles are hideous.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:21 PM   #30
Evano
Rep
Drives: M240i

Found this render on Apple news of new M2 coupe & gran coupe.....hoping M240i is closer to M2 render!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0