THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes New m235i coilover opinions

03-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #23
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: at the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
Yep except for KW DDC setup, that retains adaptive suspension, as it has oem connectors to sync up to.

ST's coils are actually made by KW, but you are correct, they dont offer any dampening adjustment.

Basically, for $1000, there is no coilover on the market that even exists for multi-adjustable or adaptive suspension. If i were you i'd go dinan springs and new bump stops.

^^correct. STs are basically the equivalent to KW v1 (w/out dampening)

but of course, you lose adaptive suspension. had STs on my previous vehicle and had no issues. of course the ride was stiffer, but considering the price, overall it was good.

Current: '15 F22 EB 228i | M Sport | 6MT | Dinan | Rotiform | 35% tint | CF side mirrors
Gone: '11 B8 A4 | '08 Infiniti G37 Coupe 6MT | '04 E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #24
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
Yep except for KW DDC setup, that retains adaptive suspension, as it has oem connectors to sync up to.

ST's coils are actually made by KW, but you are correct, they dont offer any dampening adjustment.

Basically, for $1000, there is no coilover on the market that even exists for multi-adjustable or adaptive suspension. If i were you i'd go dinan springs and new bump stops.
From what I've read on the forum here is that you can code out the error light when you go to a full coilover that doesn't have the provisions for the adaptive suspension. That's my long term plan.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #25
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
From what I've read on the forum here is that you can code out the error light when you go to a full coilover that doesn't have the provisions for the adaptive suspension. That's my long term plan.
Yep you absolutely can. If i ever go to a coilover that would be my plan also, however a lot of forum members want to retain the EDC functionality.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #26
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i black/black

If OP is only interested in looks/costs the spring route we be easiest and least expensive. IMO, one buys coil overs for their adjustability and potential handling improvements...and one buys springs for looks and slight handling gains within an acceptable ride stiffness increase.

Modest spring rate/drop changes will aid handling (roll) with minimal impact on strut life with virtually no maintenance. Coil overs can provide more drop and are adjustable but you'll need camber plates to offset camber loss and they will have a finite life before rebuilding. Depending on brand and seasonally driving situations coil overs may need additional attention/care. Once you add camber plates the nvh goes up significantly.

Cost aside if I wanted a modest increase in performance and appearence while maintaining overall quality and ride I'd go with M4 LCA and swaybars. Most reliable and least intrusive mods but sways+install is $$.

If it was used as an aggressive street/AUTOX or occasional tracked car then going the extra distance to coil overs, camber plates, bushings, and chassis stiffening plus LSD would be the best alternative.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #27
gasspasser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Yep you absolutely can. If i ever go to a coilover that would be my plan also, however a lot of forum members want to retain the EDC functionality.
You can keep EDC with KW DDC Plug and Play Coilovers. Love mine!
Attached Images

04-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #28
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasspasser View Post

I need those wheels in my life

Evasive is legit too. Use them for corner balance and alignment on my cars
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #29
gasspasser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasspasser View Post

I need those wheels in my life

Evasive is legit too. Use them for corner balance and alignment on my cars
They definitely do it right the first time!