THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New M235i - Drove it home!

03-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #23
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
True! Not only don't they like it for the loss of traction, when they develop very specific cold-weather compound cracking, Michelin will not warranty it! Had this chat with them personally after my dealer had me sign a waiver about using them below 45 degrees F.
Does this mean you're going to get damage to the tyre if the car is parked outside in sub-zero temperatures even if you're not driving it ???
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Does this mean you're going to get damage to the tyre if the car is parked outside in sub-zero temperatures even if you're not driving it ???
I don't have a definitive answer, but I would think not. As I understand the issue, as the compound hardens, its flexibility is reduced greatly, such that forces which would normally just flex the rubber as the tire rotates causes the small web of cracking. If the car was parked and the temps dropped, it would seem the tires would take a set to that shape at the moment. Once it warmed up again, one would conjecture that the concern would also diminish. I was not told by Michelin during my call that the car had to be parked in a warm environment; they just warned against driving it in cold temperatures.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:07 PM   #25
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
First off, congratulations on your new cab!!!

Owning a 2 series cab for over a year, you will most likely want to ditch the rear headrests. They block your rear view and just get in the way. Easy to remove, just pull up and store.

You will also want some Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift to keep your soft top from squeeking.

Finally, as Sportstick stated, get the door jamb kit...$45

Last edited by OpenAir; 03-14-2016 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #26
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I don't have a definitive answer, but I would think not. As I understand the issue, as the compound hardens, its flexibility is reduced greatly, such that forces which would normally just flex the rubber as the tire rotates causes the small web of cracking. If the car was parked and the temps dropped, it would seem the tires would take a set to that shape at the moment. Once it warmed up again, one would conjecture that the concern would also diminish. I was not told by Michelin during my call that the car had to be parked in a warm environment; they just warned against driving it in cold temperatures.
Come to think of it, I actually drove my Si on the Mich Pilot Exalto summers year-round from 2008 until ~2013 or 14 and when parked with the wheel cut to one side, I did have surface cracking show up. They never seemed worse for the wear and I took it to be due to age at the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #27
Mclrbra
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M325i

Drool.... I'm patiently awaiting mine to arrive. Have you looked to have a Xpel clear bra installed locally already, as it's new and no better time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
I posted this on another forum that does not seem so active! This forum is packed! Let me know what you think!

I'm going to pick up a new '15 M235i tomorrow AM. It's pretty loaded out at $56k+. Getting what I think is a great lease on it but I'm not really familiar with this platform.

Any known or common issues to look for from the beginning? Any specific things I should add to it? For me, I saw right away it needs M Perf brake/gas pedals. How are these on wheels/tires? Does the BMW tire/wheel policy seem like a good idea? I've bought them but never had an issue (good!). And what is the story with the red seatbelt holder? Didn't see anything called out on the build sheet.

I'm fired up for this car. Should be a great compromise as the steering should be easy for my wife in comfort mode compared to the hydraulic steering I loved and she hated and I can dial up anything I want above that with sport/sport+. (carefully of course!)

Basically, if anyone has any issues I could point to that would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll add some pics and thoughts. Unfortunately I'm trailering it home as it's RWD and Michelin PSS tires. Headed to snow zone for another month; hope less.

EDIT: it's a convertible by the way if that matters!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #28
Mclrbra
Private
Canada
Rep

Where will I get the Gummi bear stuff and where shall I put it haha ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
First off, congratulations on your new cab!!!

Owning a 2 series cab for over a year, you will most likely want to ditch the rear headrests. They block your rear view and just get in the way. Easy to remove, just pull up and store.

You will also want some Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift to keep your soft top from squeeking.

Finally, as stated, get the door jamb kit...$45
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #29
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclrbra View Post
Where will I get the Gummi bear stuff and where shall I put it haha ?
Get it off Amazon.com (url below).

If you hear creaking or squeaking coming from where the upper part of the windows meet the rubber weather stripping of the ragtop, then:
1. Lower the windows
2. Take a soft wet (water) rag to make sure the weather stripping is clean of any dirt or grit.
3. Let the weather stripping dry
4. Rub the Gummi Pflege on the weather stripping (as per user instructions)
5. Let the Gummi Pflege dry before you raise the windows.

Canada:
http://www.oldetownautospa.ca/produc...i-pflege-stick
Stateside:
http://www.amazon.com/einszett-91480.../dp/B004B8GTQG
      03-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #30
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
...have a Xpel clear bra installed locally already, as it's new and no better time?
+1 I had my whole front end, rocker panels and rear covered. I now wish I would have had a full wrap on the hood.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 02:29 AM   #31
Mclrbra
Private
Canada
Rep

I would reach out to the installer and see what they would work out for you. I would be pressumptious they would offer you a great deal to remove the partial and install a full hood and fender Xpel clear bra for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
+1 I had my whole front end, rocker panels and rear covered. I now wish I would have had a full wrap on the hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #32
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
I would reach out to the installer and see what they would work out for you. I would be pressumptious they would offer you a great deal to remove the partial and install a full hood and fender Xpel clear bra for you.
Let me clarify, I have a quote for @200 to complete the hood and some other areas which is great, but the point I wanted to make was that I have some chips in the hood now, which wouldn't be there if I listened to myself and just did the hood when the car was new!
Appreciate 1