THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Benefits of tech package?

09-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #23
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List

What extra stuff is shown on the enhanced instrument cluster?

What do the BMW apps look like? Are they any good (and will they be good in three years)?

Honestly, all I really want is better smart phone integration. Add multi-touch support to the main screen and let me control my phone through it. When I push the talk button on the steering wheel, it should activate Google Now or Siri. Whenever sound is coming out of the phone, direct it out of the car's speakers. Seems like, even with the $2000+ tech package, you only get bits and pieces of true smart phone integration.

The bottom line is, BMW is never going to make apps as good or as frequently updated as what is available on our smart phones. Just make it user friendly to use our phones while on the move. I know this already close to happening with some automakers. Hopefully, BMW will not get left behind on this.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #24
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ho View Post
Depending on which model year you go with. Music streaming via BT is now standard for all 2015's.
Has this been confirmed? The "changes as of July 2014" thread indicated that this was only the case on higher end cars like M3, 4/5/7 series.
      09-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #25
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Tech Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post

What do the BMW apps look like? Are they any good (and will they be good in three years)?

Honestly, all I really want is better smart phone integration. Add multi-touch support to the main screen and let me control my phone through it. When I push the talk button on the steering wheel, it should activate Google Now or Siri. Whenever sound is coming out of the phone, direct it out of the car's speakers. Seems like, even with the $2000+ tech package, you only get bits and pieces of true smart phone integration.

The bottom line is, BMW is never going to make apps as good or as frequently updated as what is available on our smart phones. Just make it user friendly to use our phones while on the move. I know this already close to happening with some automakers. Hopefully, BMW will not get left behind on this.

I completely agree. I have Tech Package now and never use it--it's all cumbersome and the map was outdated when the car was new.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #26
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

if you keep pressing the talk button on the steering wheel you get siri
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #27
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:

The apps are run off your smart phone and not made by
Bmw. I'm sure there is a collaboration but it's a two way street. Processing is all done by the cell phone just control and display is by car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #28
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

I'm actually hoping the Tech pack can take an update from the Apple / BMW venture some day and become fully integrated :P
      09-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #29
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
You also get relieved of an additional 2,150 bucks that is weighing you down
lol, hilarious... i ran a search to find existing disucssions on this tech/nav package... with gps avail through other sources these past 3 yrs... i'd like to be able to drop this package and save it for another package, like the premium package maybe... worst case would have been to feed into bmw's hand and have to feel obligated to roll both their package offerings to your car purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #30
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
I'm actually hoping the Tech pack can take an update from the Apple / BMW venture some day and become fully integrated :P
Ungh I hope the opposite lol. I don't want BMW to focus it's tech enhancements just on Apple products. Android needs some love too lol. The BMW apps support and functionality are night day on my iPod Touch and Galaxy Note 3, with the Android app just not having nearly the amount of functions. I hate using two devices but I also refuse to switch to Apple just to get better integration lol. It's principle and I hope my stubbornness pays off.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #31
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ho View Post
Depending on which model year you go with. Music streaming via BT is now standard for all 2015's.
good to know, thank goodness, but doesnt the apple link technology do the same thing if you had a apple product anyway... but i think it requires a wire connection, but it would charge the phone during use.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #32
Raizon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman6074 View Post
I ended up getting it and have found the NAV to very useful. I can send addresses right from Google maps to the car then go to the car a bring up that address and start guidance. If i have an address in my contract on my phone I can use that as well. I am glad i got it. I think its worth the extra money. All the other features are great too.
I think with this one function it's totally worth it. I never liked car navigation systems because they require you to input an address or use their limited crappy POI search. If I can pull the location off my phone and just beam it over to the car navigation that would make it so much more useful.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #33
eddie291
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizon View Post
I think with this one function it's totally worth it. I never liked car navigation systems because they require you to input an address or use their limited crappy POI search. If I can pull the location off my phone and just beam it over to the car navigation that would make it so much more useful.
Whoa, I had no clue about this feature. How do you do it?

EDIT: NM, just googled it and found out how to do it:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3500417?hl=en

Is it just through the desktop or can you use the google maps app on your phone?
      09-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #34
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie291 View Post
Whoa, I had no clue about this feature. How do you do it?

EDIT: NM, just googled it and found out how to do it:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3500417?hl=en

Is it just through the desktop or can you use the google maps app on your phone?
i have done this it works great. I think with the "My BMW remote" app I think you can send the address from there as well.

Just a note you can't send a trip route only an address. Then you find the message in the car and start navigation to the address. Navi will give you the best route it thinks is correct.

Edit: you have to setup your account via the SOS button before you can do this. You will speak to a bmw rep and they will explain it all to you. This is how i found out about this feature
      09-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #35
snodgrass23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizon View Post
...or use their limited crappy POI search.
This is something that actually works pretty well. There is an online search option which I almost always use instead of just what happens to already be in the database in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #36
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:
i have done this it works great. I think with the "My BMW remote" app I think you can send the address from there as well.

Just a note you can't send a trip route only an address. Then you find the message in the car and start navigation to the address. Navi will give you the best route it thinks is correct.

Edit: you have to setup your account via the SOS button before you can do this. You will speak to a bmw rep and they will explain it all to you. This is how i found out about this feature
Yup takes about 5 minutes to get to the car. Planning on going somewhere google on the app and send to car. Get in and while she warms up scroll to messages hit navigate and you are done!

I use it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #37
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodgrass23 View Post
This is something that actually works pretty well. There is an online search option which I almost always use instead of just what happens to already be in the database in the car.
You can actually code Google local voice search... so you go to POI and you can say "Cheescake Factory" and it will search for it

HU_NBT 3000 GOOGLE_LOCAL_VOICE_SEARCH
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #38
Raizon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
You can actually code Google local voice search... so you go to POI and you can say "Cheescake Factory" and it will search for it

HU_NBT 3000 GOOGLE_LOCAL_VOICE_SEARCH
Yeah, it works well with common stores or restaurants. But when you try to search for small local places, it will never find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #39
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie291 View Post
Yes, you can send POIs from the Google Maps app, by Sharing it via the My BMW Remote app.

From the POI details screen in Google Maps, tap "Share", then select "Send to vehicle" (with the My BMW icon). It'll ask you for the PIN for the My BMW Remote, then sends it to your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #40
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
Yes, you can send POIs from the Google Maps app, by Sharing it via the My BMW Remote app.

From the POI details screen in Google Maps, tap "Share", then select "Send to vehicle" (with the My BMW icon). It'll ask you for the PIN for the My BMW Remote, then sends it to your car.
I hit 'Share' and I don't see a 'Send to Vehicle' ... and yes, I've had BMW Remote up and working for quite a while.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #41
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Go to BMW remote, click the "control" icon.. then "online search" search something... click on the name and then the big "send to vehicle" button at the bottom...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #42
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Sample
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #43
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
I hit 'Share' and I don't see a 'Send to Vehicle' ... and yes, I've had BMW Remote up and working for quite a while.
I've seen it show up in different places in the Share list. Today, it's showing up at the top:
Name:  Screenshot_2014-09-24-13-58-38.png
Views: 445
Size:  101.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #44
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Go to BMW remote, click the "control" icon.. then "online search" search something... click on the name and then the big "send to vehicle" button at the bottom...
Yes, this works for me, I've been using it this way for a while.

What I did not know is sharing from within Google Maps.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0