THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Brake fluid and pads for track day

07-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #23
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
I would actually, respectfully, disagree on this.

Most cars on track will suffer from boiling brake fluid before glazing pads. In fact, I use the stock M Performance pads on my car with RBF600 and the car has been great (7 days at Palmer Motorsport Park.....on stock pads....running in group 2 with BMWCCA). So, in my opinion, I would swap fluid first.

Regarding what fluid, I'd recommend ATE200 (Gold) or Motul RBF600. The Motul fluid will be more hydroscopic, but had a higher boiling point.....should be changed every 6 months or so.

There shouldn't be any air in the system once bled either.

I do agree that the Pagid RS29 pad is likely the most popular. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for too.
Different track, driver and habits so anything could happen.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #24
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i xDrive

I'm running stock brake fluid and stock pads. I believe the majority of people need to learn how to brake. Also to my shock and horror noone has mentioned to open the air tunnel to the center of the rotors??? I've run 30m+ on high speed tracks without any over heating issues at all.

Changing fluid and pads before learning how to brake or even investigating the existing cooling mechanisms of the car is only hurting your racing learning curve and wallets!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #25
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
If you get spongy feel it's your fluid boiling over. Not to say your pads also aren't having issues, but pedal feel is mostly from your fluid.

Best to do both. If you're boiling the fluid your pads aren't far behind (if not already). Also keep in mind once you "boil" your fluid once it's basically worthless for track use.

Motul RBF600 is my go to fluid. Never failed me on the track.

Pads are more subjective. I tend to be very careful with taking pad advice from people when I don't know their driver level (lap times). FWIW I'll probably be going with Pagid pads this fall when I take the 235 out for it's first track day.

I tend to be faster on/off on the brakes than most. I get good life out of my rotors/pads.

Some people will go through pads and rotors in one track day.

Last edited by Anthony235; 07-26-2016 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #26
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Let's not beat this to death but, yep, spongy brake = boiling fluid. Brake fluid does absorb a lot of water. Live in a dry climate maybe you can push beyond 12 months. Live by the sea, a lake, even a big river, at least every 12 months or less. As long as the fluid is DOT 4 (and suitable for use in BMW) you should be good. Naturally higher levels (ie DOT 5) should be even better but I do not know if BMW may use DOT 5. Find out if you plan to use it. The point, more than brand, frequency of change and at least DOT 4 is more important.
Appreciate 0