THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum how short is too short

10-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #23
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

My understanding of that is it tries to load up the alternator as much as possible during braking and not during acceleration. From a physics perspective that makes sense. I've only had this car since the spring so it remains to be seen how well this works in practice, my previous 3 series was more traditional in this regard. Still, you would hope the car would be smart enough to do whatever it has to do to keep the battery as charged as possible. If it needs to charge during a long drive it absolutely should.

All that said, first thing I did when I got it was code the auto stop/start to default disabled. Others may disagree, but I don't see anything good from that much additional stress on the starter and electrical system. Of course I mostly drive in sport mode and have never even tried eco mode, if that was my priority I would have bought a Tesla.

I'm just going to keep up my once or twice a week top up charge and see how it goes. A lot of people, probably a majority of owners, would find that too much inconvenience though, so we'll be keeping an eye on this subject going forward.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 05:26 PM   #24
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

hey nice,
so went out today, car started again this afternoon fine, as said I turned all this other junk off, wifi hotspot, LAN WAN all garbage, I do have my connected drive and forgot to turn the BT back on for the phone.

I did a test drive to my new work place, 6.1km using the GPS, and noted on the efficient dynamics, that either coasting or braking from speed, will put a charge in the battery. as the above poster says, you'd think the car is intelligent enough to know when to charge.

I wonder how many ppl thought as I did, about a weekly hoon puting a charge into the car.

I know electric car owners have the "millage anxiety" LOL about recharging, the last thing I want is to have "start-up anxiety", for a $50k car thats wrong very wrong

I totally enjoyed my first 2 months driving, then when the battery "issues" started I'm feeling a mixture of being pissed off and upset.

BMW vs Caravan, the OH never worries about anything, whether the car will start, wether doing the morning shuffle, moving up the driveway, leaving it for weeks on end without starting. yet me with my double the cost car has had it's bonnet up in front of my garage more time than a prostitute's clients on a friday night.

That CANT be right,

The caravan has remote start, sat nav, BT, DVD front and rear auto doors, so it's not some base model, sad.

My POS 12 year old Neon never missed a click EVER, ok the battery went, but after that nothing, I've owned cars since I was 20, all makes and this is the first time a brand new car has given me this level of grief, BMW, jesus
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #25
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Car's shouldn't need to be garaged and plugged in every week or so, it's a car not a pet or family member. I remember my old boss's Volvo estate (back in the 80's) sat at work for 4 months straight, started first turn of the key.

Is all this tech worth it ?

God, do you really need a wifi hotspot in a 2 series, almost everywhere has wifi now. Do I really need to tweet or catch the news, I mean this crap must put a draw on the car.

The remote GPS, where is my car thing great, and being able to lock, unlock etc great, but seriously.

Now I'm not going to be sure, if and when I need to put it on my ctek, how exactly I need to drive it to put a charge, and god forbid the autoclub wanna try and jump it from the battery instead of the posts (I tried to explain to some tech about that on the 1'er, when it needed a jump)

car, keys, drive, gas, music, top down, thoes are my priorities and the only thing I want to worry about on any car
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #26
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
car, keys, drive, gas, music, top down, thoes are my priorities and the only thing I want to worry about on any car
I'm good with car, key, drive, gas, radio, A/C & heat.

I keep reading about things here on 2addicts that my car may have (or may not have - it's pre-LCI ), and frequently I don't know what they are. For example, "efficient dynamics"; I have no idea what that is, but I'm still able to fully enjoy my car in the manner I intended to when I bought it knowing I'd put another $20K+ into it via BMW and the aftermarket.

I hope your issue turns out to be trivial in the end. I suspect that it will be.
      10-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #27
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

that's what she said
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #28
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

so yesterday, I did a simulated drive, to and from work, no other journeys, 12km's both ways, although should have been 6, and an 8 hour rest. but... this morning the battery volts was stable at 12.44v. no heated seats fans etc, only had the sat nav and DRL's, no radio

will monitor and see.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #29
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

So yesterday, did a mixture of VERY short, 1km drive up the road to the shops, a stop then a longer 15km drive (one way), stop, back home using the heater, lights, and wipers, my voltage this morning was down @ 12.32 volts.

I really wanted to put on my phone BT, but didn't, might try that tomorrow

(I "think" this meter is fairly accurate, but can't confirm it, (it's a good quality DVM, stored carefully.)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #30
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Hey the MOFO died again,

Bumped the bonnet and wanted to check, voltage, it showed 12. something then I was trying a couple of other meters and seeing silly readings, 12 going down and not holding stable.

Got in car, wouldn't start, so I put the charger on, called CAA, which maybe shouldn't have done, (the charger) I was hoping the could do a battery charge test, previously they used to have a bit of kit which does that, all the guy came and did was put a booster and I guess that has some indication if the battery is ok, of course it started.

Starting new job on Tuesday and can't have this, planning on taking car to BMW first thing and get a loaner/rental.

Had a lot of weird messages, soft-top not locked, steering "error".

It started fine this morning took it out for a 15km drive, back home no problem, left it parked up. Then bang

god I'm so stressed
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 07:23 PM   #31
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Not sure how old the battery is, but that's not normal car behaviour. Just by reading these posts, replace the battery. Or if under warranty, take it in.

I think batteries usually last 4-7 years, BMWs have these "intelligent battery sensors" AKA IBS so they are supposed to last a bit longer, but not always.

If you choose to do this yourself, get it coded. See battery coding.
Appreciate 1
nazali1380.50
      10-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #32
Vitacura
Ich Liebe mein BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i CV, 23 X1

My 2018 M240i I had for three years and put about 4800 miles on it. A lot of short in town drives. The first 800 miles were put on driving home from PCD, so really 4000 miles in 34 months and never had a starting or battery problem. Hope yours get resolved, the F22/23 platform really is great!
Appreciate 1
nazali1380.50
      10-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #33
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

txs Guy's I am now at a point of stressed to the max, had to ring the agency (well texted the manager) that I was having car problems, Tuesday is my first day guy's.

I actually didn't get any sleep last night, well, I fell asleep, but woke at 3am, and couldnt go back.

ONE thing, I had been trying to eliminate, (putting everything off) was also the AUTO headlights, when parking, I had them off, and for a few days (well since last failure) she was good as gold.

Last night, when driving at night, I put the lights to "auto" but when I parked up, I forgot to put the switch off and then boom, this may be total coincidence.

I've gone out and checked the car and it's gone to sleep after 15 minutes, I'm going to hook up ista and see what it says tomorrow, have it on the ctek overnight.

so for ref: everything that didn't need to be on was off. Funny thing is, she started this morning. and the auto was on overnight. cold be coincdence.

Battery was changed by dealer, when I first got it at 211km (it had sat for a year) now on approx 2k
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #34
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I wanted to see the voltage without bumping the hood, I got into the secret menu, but voltage is not there, temp, tank test etc, can I check the voltage another way, for accuracy

see capture, this options doesn't come up

funny, if I put my charger on there for just 5 minutes it will start right up, doesn't sound like a dead battery
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #35
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

documented (for BMW)

Car Issues - Time Line
since car was last in been having issues with the below
Car has died including yesterday 3 times

* Battery Discharge Error
* Car Dying and being unable to start (sometimes with errors sometimes not)
* Seems to be worse when Lights are in auto mode
* Battery trickle charger even after 5 minutes and car will start
* Dashcam was disconnected 3 weeks ago

>symptoms
> press start button
> display flickers, dies, no sound, no clicking, no start
> when dies error messages advising "soft top not locked"
"steering "xxx" error"

>battery discharge While stopped error (VERY first time car died)
* Advises to start and run car
* Did 100km round trip on arriving home, same error
* error message "idrive going to sleep to preserve power"
* Put car on charge over night next morning car was ok
* turned off wi-fi hotspot, lane avoidance, turned off auto-lights
* NO extra use of lights, blower, heater, heated seats
* Journey's: short, long, intermediate
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time line from Thursday 7th-
* Had car on charge (BMW CTEK) LEFT LIGHTS IN AUTO
* Checking battery voltages in the morning, (approx. 11.xx Volts)
* Car failed to start, multiple error messages on dash and idrive
* 100km round trip got the "battery discharged while stopped" message
* Car on charger overnight, all ok

Friday 8th NO "battery discharge While stopped error"
LIGHTS OFF AUTO
* Morning battery voltage 12.44v / * Starts OK, / * did long drive

Saturday 9th NO "battery discharge while stopped error"
LIGHTS OFF AUTO
* Morning battery voltage 12.40v / * starts ok / * multiple drives, came home in evening, LEFT lights in AUTO

Sunday 10th TODAY NO "battery discharge While stopped error"
* Morning Battery Voltage 12.32v / * Car starts / * drive to several appointments / * park car up
* evening: checked voltage, shows 12v, but not stable, then kept going down, to 11.xx
* unable to start car, put charger on dashboard errors, started, saying "soft top not locked" "Steering xxx error"
* Car in limp mode, but unable to rev , past 1000RPM
* CAA attended put booster pack on at battery points, car started.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:41 PM   #36
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to see the voltage without bumping the hood, I got into the secret menu, but voltage is not there, temp, tank test etc, can I check the voltage another way, for accuracy

see capture, this options doesn't come up

funny, if I put my charger on there for just 5 minutes it will start right up, doesn't sound like a dead battery
Can't you just stop by any auto parts store like NAPA or O'Reilly ? they will test your battery and alternator for free..

The batteries they put on this cars are huge I can leave the lights radio on for an hour and it will have no issues starting....
I would say 95% change your issue is the battery
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 10:19 PM   #37
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

That's what thought my autoclub would do.
The guy brought a booster pack (noco) and said as I'd put it on a charger prior to him, he can't tell anything else about the battery condition.

previously my AC, had a gizmo and could give me a printout (on my old neon) and tell me exactly what was happening with the batt/char

not sure who's around tomorrow, I'll have a looksie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Can't you just stop by any auto parts store like NAPA or O'Reilly ? they will test your battery and alternator for free..

The batteries they put on this cars are huge I can leave the lights radio on for an hour and it will have no issues starting....
I would say 95% change your issue is the battery
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #38
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Can I use this on my BMW's
i> on the jump points - but will go through the DME IBS etc / ii> directly on the battery in the boot - supposed to not be a good thing iii> remove battery from car
I'm worried I'll make things worse if done incorrectly
txs

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #39
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Can I use this on my BMW's
i> on the jump points - but will go through the DME IBS etc / ii> directly on the battery in the boot - supposed to not be a good thing iii> remove battery from car
I'm worried I'll make things worse if done incorrectly
txs

just take the car the NAPA or similar and they will plug in a tester and test your battery and alternator for free!
Appreciate 1
nazali1380.50
      10-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #40
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

taking it to BMW tomorrow txs
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #41
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

dropped it off this AM and got an X2
gave them my diagnostics list,
I got the old "your not driving it enough" so I put them straight.

Can't have a car on charge everyday man or drive it 100km every day.

One thing that I had a chat with about with a mate, the dashcam wiring.
It's wired to 2 fuses, 100 and 146 (DME and lights) though it's disconnected at the camera, the cabling is still connected to the fuses, he was wondering if something is shorting occasionally or there is a draw.

All the probles started when the dashcam killed the battery TBH, befre that for a few months the battery was good, but I'll see what they say, I may remove the wiring from the fusebox if they come back "well, we can't find a problem"

I told the SA, to take there time, no rush, I just want my car back working and reliable.

Anyway I have a loaner

will keep you posted

txs all for the fantastic help
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #42
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
dropped it off this AM and got an X2
gave them my diagnostics list,
I got the old "your not driving it enough" so I put them straight.

Can't have a car on charge everyday man or drive it 100km every day.

One thing that I had a chat with about with a mate, the dashcam wiring.
It's wired to 2 fuses, 100 and 146 (DME and lights) though it's disconnected at the camera, the cabling is still connected to the fuses, he was wondering if something is shorting occasionally or there is a draw.

All the probles started when the dashcam killed the battery TBH, befre that for a few months the battery was good, but I'll see what they say, I may remove the wiring from the fusebox if they come back "well, we can't find a problem"

I told the SA, to take there time, no rush, I just want my car back working and reliable.

Anyway I have a loaner

will keep you posted

txs all for the fantastic help
ah ok... the dashcam could be the problem then... i didn't even know you had one....

it should be fairly easy to just disconnect the wiring from the fuses and test it for a while...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #43
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

I'm thinking the DME fuse is probably not the best one to choose for adding aftermarket electronics either.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #44
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
I'm thinking the DME fuse is probably not the best one to choose for adding aftermarket electronics either.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4818.00