THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Audio system comparison

10-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
ggabriele3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
The amp is usually the best bang for your buck upgrade and "quickest" improvement, better speakers would still be woefully underpowered vs crappy speakers but well driven.
I don't know if I'd agree with that. The stock amp isn't a monster, but it's not like you'd be powering the speakers off the head unit.

I just upgraded the speakers only ($200 total) and the sound quality is night-and-day better.

The amp upgrade would be $600 or more, only to put more power into the existing paper-cone 4'' midbass tweeterless speakers?

I think you do the speakers first.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #24
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

HK is very average. My mate has a M135i with HK and I have a M235i with hifi. The difference is minimal...

People who say "if you like good sound get the HK" is pure BS if you like music and sound get aftermarket as the HK is just average at best.

I'm in the process of upgrading system, you can get the HK mouldings for $100 and upgrade the actual tweeters
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #25
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

the HK system was definitely a good option for me and sounds far better than the standard system, no regrets at all purchasing it.

In the interest of disclosure though, my hearing is pretty messed up. After lots of time in the Army, I've been told that I have moderate to severe hearing loss in the 4-16khz range. As some may find the HK system too bright or harsh in the treble it seems to be what I need for my damaged ears.

As an aside, my wife who has good hearing said "oh... that sounds really good!" the first time she rode in the car and I slightly cranked up one of our songs on the HK system.

If you're looking for something to piss off the neighbors, it probably won't (which is good, IMO) For normal listening I'd say it's pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #26
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabriele3 View Post
I don't know if I'd agree with that. The stock amp isn't a monster, but it's not like you'd be powering the speakers off the head unit.

I just upgraded the speakers only ($200 total) and the sound quality is night-and-day better.

The amp upgrade would be $600 or more, only to put more power into the existing paper-cone 4'' midbass tweeterless speakers?

I believe the stock amp is a measly 25W per channel and not sure that's even RMS. I found a brand new JL Audio XD600/6v2 for $375 shipped on eBay, did a wiring harness (~$90 iirc) from user Technic on Bimmerfest so it's all fully reversible and eliminated the use of the center channel for better imaging all in one fell swoop. Stock speakers well driven are better than aftermarket speakers barely being used but I suppose that's a matter of perspective. I'll probably upgrade my front stage at some point then consider the underseat "subs" and not worry about the back fill but know I have a good amp driving them. Enjoy your set up.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #27
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

I would say the HK system is worth it. It is not as good as in the 3 series, and my coworker had the lower end B&O system in his S5 which was also pretty nice for a stock unit.

But I think a lot of people are just going off of what others have said about the HK in our 2s being terrible. It really isn't that bad. And unless you are going to blow quite a bit of money, I think a lot of times when people say their aftermarket system sounds "better' it tends to be completely subjective.

The output is not that amazing sure, I have been chasing a better sound in my Z3 for quite some time now, outside of the acoustics being weird in it to begin with, unless you are willing to spend serious money, you will only get marginally better sound.
      10-06-2015, 11:01 PM   #28
_dmglce
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover

For the same price as every other HK option in other series, our 2 series do not get the Logic 7 which is a night and day difference IMO. I regret getting the option, have I known it did not come with Logic 7...
      10-06-2015, 11:17 PM   #29
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

This all really depends on which direction you want to go with the car. If you are ok with aftermarket parts and going through that process, I would definitely take that $875 and put it into a new amp or the focals. If you want to stay stock, the HK is certainly better than the stock system, however I am not convinced it is $875 better. Which trim 2012 GTI do you have? I had a '12 autobahn edition with the Dynaudio system and that was better than the base HiFi system in my M235i but I still think the base M235i system sounds just fine and I do listen to mainly hip-hop and edm (bass-heavy stuff).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 12:21 AM   #30
2013mingrey335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
I believe the stock amp is a measly 25W per channel and not sure that's even RMS. I found a brand new JL Audio XD600/6v2 for $375 shipped on eBay, did a wiring harness (~$90 iirc) from user Technic on Bimmerfest so it's all fully reversible and eliminated the use of the center channel for better imaging all in one fell swoop. Stock speakers well driven are better than aftermarket speakers barely being used but I suppose that's a matter of perspective. I'll probably upgrade my front stage at some point then consider the underseat "subs" and not worry about the back fill but know I have a good amp driving them. Enjoy your set up.

You replaced the amp? What happened to the active sound did that increase as well?
I had the base stereo in my F30 335 and it was good nice bass and clear
The base in the 235 is defiantly a lot weaker no thump at all
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #31
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mingrey335i View Post
You replaced the amp? What happened to the active sound did that increase as well?
check out the 'navigation, idrive, audio..." section for info on amp replacements. one of the top posts right now is a group buy for essentially a plug and play replacement. the only catch is active sound.. you need to code it off or it will be obnoxiously loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #32
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
The satilite radio reception in the car sucks. Whenever you drive under the smallest underpass or even a few trees the reception cuts out.
No surprise. Satellite radio is line-of-sight. Same, same other services such as GPS, Direct TV.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #33
FlyingScot1050
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
No surprise. Satellite radio is line-of-sight. Same, same other services such as GPS, Direct TV.
I have to agree with yeezy, I've had satellite radio in other vehicles before, and the M235i has definitely been the pickiest with regards to reception. Even my old Integra with an add-on system (remember these?) that had the antenna sitting on the dash inside the vehicle had more consistent reception.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #34
arun21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

I have he 2014 228 and was lucky to receive a refund of $375 on my HK option. At the time they advertised something like 600w output when in fact it is maybe half that. So all in all it ended up costing me about $500. :-) well worth it!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #35
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun21 View Post
I have he 2014 228 and was lucky to receive a refund of $375 on my HK option. At the time they advertised something like 600w output when in fact it is maybe half that. So all in all it ended up costing me about $500. :-) well worth it!
Yeah I got the refund too, so its not too bad. But even still, IMO it is still a pretty good cost for gain option. It is factory etc.

You are not going to get a very good sounding system under 1k (I mean amp + all the speakers etc).
      10-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #36
badg3r
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 xDrive

It's been a while since i've been back on here. I just read all your replies and you guys definitely took away some of the anxiety i had concerning the sound system. I guess i'll leave it stock and see how i like it for the winter, then see if i want to upgrade to focals in the spring.
I'll definitely be spending a lot more time on these forums in the future!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #37
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badg3r View Post
It's been a while since i've been back on here. I just read all your replies and you guys definitely took away some of the anxiety i had concerning the sound system. I guess i'll leave it stock and see how i like it for the winter, then see if i want to upgrade to focals in the spring.
I'll definitely be spending a lot more time on these forums in the future!
I think this is a great choice!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #38
Larry7995
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xdrive

Focal speakers are definitely a significant step up. I have listened to some $$ home Focal speakers at the RMAF last couple years and a buddy upgraded his RDX with Focal, which sounds great. But I am cool with the stock HK, I have a 2 channel system at the house with Legacy Focus SE speakers if I really want great audio I go to my living room
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 12:02 AM   #39
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mingrey335i View Post
No ASD in my vehicle, thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #40
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBones93 View Post
check out the 'navigation, idrive, audio..." section for info on amp replacements. one of the top posts right now is a group buy for essentially a plug and play replacement. the only catch is active sound.. you need to code it off or it will be obnoxiously loud.
The BimmerTech Amp looks like a good buy as well, it wasn't around when I went the route that I did. That said I came out ahead enough to get my front stage
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #41
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabriele3 View Post

Amp first, speakers second I realize he has a horse in the race but it's been a generally accepted truism in car audio since I can remember.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=25
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #42
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry7995 View Post
Focal speakers are definitely a significant step up. I have listened to some $$ home Focal speakers at the RMAF last couple years and a buddy upgraded his RDX with Focal, which sounds great. But I am cool with the stock HK, I have a 2 channel system at the house with Legacy Focus SE speakers if I really want great audio I go to my living room
Some options I've lightly looked into thus far:
JL-Audio C2-400x
CDT Audio CL-42SL
Focal 100VRS/KRS
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 12:33 AM   #43
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Amp first, speakers second I realize he has a horse in the race but it's been a generally accepted truism in car audio since I can remember.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=25
If it gets loud enough and it's not grossly clipping, you get far more distortion from crappy speakers. The worst modern amplifier will still give you an order of magnitude lower THD than the speakers if it's not clipping. The truism is wrong unless the stock amplifier can't handle the load at the volume levels you want to listen at.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 01:25 AM   #44
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

I've upgraded amp and speakers on a 128i and now 228i.
I installed speakers first then amp but I removed speakers first and amp later when I traded 128i.
I have to say that the speakers are the weak link.
It doesn't matter how good is the amp or how much DSP is in there but to my audiophile ears the midrange sound muddiness never goes away.
For those who like to listen music loud and want more bass will find amp upgrade only better suit their needs.
However I still recommend to replace speakers and amp together to get the best out of crappy OEM head unit.
Appreciate 0