E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Contact Info for BMW NA Executives?

09-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

You sound like every other person who walks into the dealer and says "me first, me now". You could have proactively done something like unplug the battery and reset the idrive to see if it makes a difference. You called them with a problem and asked them to take care of it which they did. Idrive is a computer. Computers freeze. Things happen. Sounds like its just some random computer glitch.

Try being friendly and taking the stick of entitlement out of your behind.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #24
///austin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW ///M3 Coupe

Yes, next time my wife has a problem with her $50,000+ BMW, I will tell her, "Hey honey, go outside during your lunch break, pop the hood and unplug the battery."

The point of buying a nice car is so you don't have to do stuff like that.

They didn't take care of the problem. They fixed one issue (supposedly) and CAUSED another.

I believe in being friendly, but there are times to be friendly and times not to be friendly. If you're friendly at the wrong times that is precisely when you get dumped on.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #25
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

When you want something done, it helps to be friendly.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #26
froalskiner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///austin View Post
Yes, next time my wife has a problem with her $50,000+ BMW, I will tell her, "Hey honey, go outside during your lunch break, pop the hood and unplug the battery."

They didn't take care of the problem. They fixed one issue (supposedly) and CAUSED another.

I believe in being friendly, but there are times to be friendly and times not to be friendly. If you're friendly at the wrong times that is precisely when you get dumped on.
+1 The dealer should take care of the issue...no question about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #27
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Some dealers do not believe in customer service any longer, it is the customers responsibility to make them see that, give the zeros on the survey and ask to be contacted by a representative- they will not get bonus money for your visit and it hurts them in their wallet.

BMWNA unfortunately has little input into what dealers do, they are independently owned and operated. They can mandate about facilities and training. What BMWNA does is reward them for good service visits, sales experiences and so forth. This monetary "bonus" is relied on by many sales and service staff BUT if the dealership as a whole is bad then they may not get this bonus to begin with.

In other words hurt the dealer where it hurts the most, in their wallet. You will receive the 50k miles services at any dealer as well as warranty work. Most will be willing to give you a loaner (it is reimbursed) if you explain your situation and give them enough time to make one available.

I had a bad experience with a dealer once, and they lost my business (1 BMW a year) forever and they will never see me back; on the bright side I have been with the same dealer now for many years and they are great and know how to treat customers. I drive a bit to get there but know in the end my car will be taken care of.

Best of luck and realize it is not a BMW issue but a dealer issue.

-M
      09-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:

+1 even if it was your car, thats one of the reason people buy new cars BMWs or Kia's..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #29
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Once you switch dealers, I would try to build a relationship with a tech or two. I know techs at each of my local dealers and it helps greatly when you take your car in for service. You know they're working on your car with a little bit more care.

Best of luck resolving your issue.
      09-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #30
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #31
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Dealership called and told me iDrive and screen issues etc. were due to a bad relay. They drove the car this morning but are going to take it out and drive it again this afternoon (as it heats up outside today) to double-check things.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #32
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Long story short:

Wife was almost at work this past Monday morning and got this error message:
Brake and drive control systems malfunction! Reduced braking and driving stability. Avoid hard braking. Driving stability! Drive moderately.

Then she got an error message about DSC malfunction.

Called the dealership and they said they might be able to get her in in a week! I protested, called the GM given how many automobiles our family has purchased from this dealer, and they picked up her car from her at work. We were upset given it was a brake/dsc related error message (not a minor thing).

They discovered a wheel bearing was bad (manufacturer defect) and about to go. Had we waited a week, as they said, that could have been very dangerous. My wife is expecting so she has to be in a safe vehicle.

Well, then, they drop off the car to my wife today. She made sure the error message wasn't on screen but she didn't think to check to see if the dealer had messed up other things with her car.

On her way home, she discovered she cannot get past the main screen on her nav/idrive. No radio, no nav, no system info, no nothing! Every time she did something the whole system froze and glitched. Which makes me wonder if the error message is really got since the info systems don't seem to be working.

So we dropped it off, but the bottom line is they brought our car back to us with stuff that was working BEFORE no longer working.

I called BMW customer relations and their response was "Well, since you've purchased so many cars from us we'll call the dealer on your behalf." Then the lady implied that it was good I had purchased so many vehicles, hint, hint, cause otherwise they wouldn't call. Really rubbed me the wrong way considering the bimmers I've owned - Neiman Marcus Z3, ///M Roadster (Z3), 2002 BMW Z8, 2006 M3 convertible, 2006 750i, 2008 M3, and my wife's car. So gracious that they would call the dealer on my behalf!

I am really unhappy with BMW.
I had this same exact issue with a wheel bearing. Apparently it is fairly common but took two visits and about a week at the dealer to get it resolved. I would not read into the response from the BMW lady. I would call them again, speak to a different person and they will take care of you. Clearly this is a programing issue and problems pop up from time to time. Give the dealer a chance to make things right before you call the CEO.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #33
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

They called me late this evening--they believe they have everything taken care of. My wife and I are going to go check it out tomorrow afternoon. They wanted to drop it off to my wife, but I told them we would both need to come in person to ensure everything has been taken care of plus that everything is working.

I'll be sure to update all of you tomorrow.

I appreciate all of the helpful and encouraging feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #34
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Okay guys--I have an update.

Received a call from an executive in New Jersey and they made sure that the BMW dealer took care of everything they were supposed to. Our salesman also did the same.

We went to pick up the car yesterday in the late afternoon and they had indeed fixed the problem causing the issues with the iDrive (bad relay). Unfortunately, when we went to pick up the car, the service advisor assigned to it and the service director both saw us and didn't say a word. It was like we showed up with the swine flu or something! Never before have I felt that way at a place of business, especially at a place of business where I have done so much business. They didn't bother to explain what had been done, whether the original repair caused the new issue, that they were sorry they dropped the car off (after the first repair) with the iDrive and radio and nav etc. not working--nothing, nada. They simply ignored us and acted like we weren't there.

Pretty awful.

Anyway, went in to the checkout desk, got the paperwork signed it, and then asked them to make a copy of the dealership's larger version (extra records, diagnostic printouts etc.) so I would have it on file. Luckily, our sales guy came out, and he took the time to do what someone in service should have done and explained what all had been done. He also apologized on behalf of the service dept. I got the impression that he felt really bad about it but I could tell the issue truly was with someone or some people in service and that our sales guy's hands are tied.

So we got my wife's car and left.

And it was funny--when we got in my wife's car, there was a card sitting on the dash saying to make sure and give the dealer perfect scores on the survey. Never before have they ever put anything like that in one of our cars.

Unfortunately for them, my wife will be filling out the survey. Maybe someone in the service dept. should have said "hi," maybe someone should have apologized; then she would have considered giving them a good survey. Unfortunately, I think they will be getting all zeros.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and help and if anyone has any dealer service recommendations for DFW I would appreciate them. Also, if anyone wants to know what dealer's service dept. treated us like this, you can pm me.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #35
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Clearly this dealership does not deserve perfect scores. Every car has glitches once in a while and when they do a repair for one thing it seems like that is when others can pop up. The fact that your dealership service staff avoided you when they knew you were upset rather than simply talking to you and working it out is evidence that they are not a good service department. I have a similar complaint with my dealer or better said former dealer. I had an issue with and when I picked up my car the SA brushed the issue off and sent me on my way like he was my boss or something. I have found a better dealer that really appreciates my business, not just on the sales side but on the service side as well. I would really suggest that you find another dealer if that is possible. Tell the sales manager why you left and maybe the GM will put pressure on service department to get their act together. It is easy to be good at the sales end but the service area is really tough because cars are so technical and glitches happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #36
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

pruettfan,

You are exactly right. In a kind and gracious way, I have told the GM and our sales person thank you but have also let them know it's obvious we'll need to get the car serviced elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #37
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

I think you should lighten up a little bit. It's not worth a stroke or heart attack. BTW, the battery is in the trunk, not under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #38
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

But BMW NA has to take some responsibility for the poor and downward spiral of what the "local dealers" are doing.
Customer service is dead and gone when you call BMW NA customer relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Some dealers do not believe in customer service any longer, it is the customers responsibility to make them see that, give the zeros on the survey and ask to be contacted by a representative- they will not get bonus money for your visit and it hurts them in their wallet.

BMWNA unfortunately has little input into what dealers do, they are independently owned and operated. They can mandate about facilities and training. What BMWNA does is reward them for good service visits, sales experiences and so forth. This monetary "bonus" is relied on by many sales and service staff BUT if the dealership as a whole is bad then they may not get this bonus to begin with.

In other words hurt the dealer where it hurts the most, in their wallet. You will receive the 50k miles services at any dealer as well as warranty work. Most will be willing to give you a loaner (it is reimbursed) if you explain your situation and give them enough time to make one available.

I had a bad experience with a dealer once, and they lost my business (1 BMW a year) forever and they will never see me back; on the bright side I have been with the same dealer now for many years and they are great and know how to treat customers. I drive a bit to get there but know in the end my car will be taken care of.

Best of luck and realize it is not a BMW issue but a dealer issue.

-M
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #39
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Send a letter--that makes all the difference, 100%. When I just called BMW NA, all they would say is how sorry they were for my experience etc. etc. I finally talked to someone who told me where to send a letter. Put it in the mail, but then I had the idea to e-mail a PDF copy of it to everyone BMW Germany's board. That did the trick. I was contacted within hours by someone from BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #40
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Send a letter--that makes all the difference, 100%. When I just called BMW NA, all they would say is how sorry they were for my experience etc. etc. I finally talked to someone who told me where to send a letter. Put it in the mail, but then I had the idea to e-mail a PDF copy of it to everyone BMW Germany's board. That did the trick. I was contacted within hours by someone from BMW NA.
Best advice ever. Phone calls are worthless, e-mails are fine for small matters, but concerns about anything important need to be addressed (at least initially) in letter form. Send it on letterhead, make sure it's checked for spelling and grammar, and send via regular and certified mail. You'll be amazed at how much more effective that approach is. Plus if things heat up you have a paper trail to present to the judge or magistrate if you have to seek legal recourse.

BMWNA can sometimes get things moving, but often you'll get nowhere with them. In the end they're little more than a mediator between the customer and the dealer, and if things heat up they're going to side with the dealer.

Glad things came together for you OP.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #41
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Okay guys--I have an update.

Received a call from an executive in New Jersey and they made sure that the BMW dealer took care of everything they were supposed to. Our salesman also did the same.

We went to pick up the car yesterday in the late afternoon and they had indeed fixed the problem causing the issues with the iDrive (bad relay). Unfortunately, when we went to pick up the car, the service advisor assigned to it and the service director both saw us and didn't say a word. It was like we showed up with the swine flu or something! Never before have I felt that way at a place of business, especially at a place of business where I have done so much business. They didn't bother to explain what had been done, whether the original repair caused the new issue, that they were sorry they dropped the car off (after the first repair) with the iDrive and radio and nav etc. not working--nothing, nada. They simply ignored us and acted like we weren't there.

Pretty awful.

Anyway, went in to the checkout desk, got the paperwork signed it, and then asked them to make a copy of the dealership's larger version (extra records, diagnostic printouts etc.) so I would have it on file. Luckily, our sales guy came out, and he took the time to do what someone in service should have done and explained what all had been done. He also apologized on behalf of the service dept. I got the impression that he felt really bad about it but I could tell the issue truly was with someone or some people in service and that our sales guy's hands are tied.

So we got my wife's car and left.

And it was funny--when we got in my wife's car, there was a card sitting on the dash saying to make sure and give the dealer perfect scores on the survey. Never before have they ever put anything like that in one of our cars.

Unfortunately for them, my wife will be filling out the survey. Maybe someone in the service dept. should have said "hi," maybe someone should have apologized; then she would have considered giving them a good survey. Unfortunately, I think they will be getting all zeros.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and help and if anyone has any dealer service recommendations for DFW I would appreciate them. Also, if anyone wants to know what dealer's service dept. treated us like this, you can pm me.
Like I said earlier your true issue is not with BMW, BMWNA etc. but with the dealer. There is little BMWNA can do as per their dealer agreements but hurt them in the wallet based on your survey. Give them 0's as they deserve and they will not get paid for your service visit; it is that simple- someone's head will roll at the dealer and people will get it together. It is sad to say but some people become complacent while also thinking that they are doing the customer a favor.

Sounds like your CA and GM were on par but the service department is not. It may be a dealer that lacks trained employees (only a certain percentage are certified by BMW) or the important people were away etc. but every experience should be painless and if there is an issue they should correct it.

Here is a list of the Top Dealers in the US so you can see what the benchmark really is:

BMW Center City State
East Bay BMW Pleasanton CA
BMW of San Diego San Diego CA
Crevier BMW Santa Ana CA
South Bay BMW Torrance CA
Global Imports Atlanta GA
BMW of Dubuque Dubuque IA
Isringhausen Imports Springfield IL
Laurel BMW of Westmont Westmont IL
Basney BMW South Bend IN
Baron BMW Merriam KS
BMW Gallery Norwood MA
Erhard BMW of Bloomfield Hills Bloomfield Hills MI
Erhard BMW of Farmington Hills Farmington Hills MI
Bavarian Motor Village, Ltd. Shelby Township MI
Motorwerks BMW Bloomington MN
Hendrick BMW Charlotte NC
Flemington BMW Flemington NJ
BMW of Freehold Freehold NJ
Paul Miller BMW Wayne NJ
Hassel BMW Freeport NY
Wide World BMW Spring Valley NY
Towne BMW Williamsville NY
Voss Village BMW Dayton OH
Classic BMW Willoughby Hills OH
BMW of Tulsa Tulsa OK
Kuni BMW Beaverton OR
Daniels BMW Allentown PA
Rick Hendrick Imports Charleston SC
BMW of Austin Austin TX
Advantage BMW Houston TX
BMW of the Permian Basin Midland TX
      09-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #42
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You should post all those emails addys for everyone
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #43
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry butt BMW NA, DE, ETC has to step up and take some responsibility for their dealers and their own actions, change starts from the top down and BMW NA customer service is just horrible
When you give a dealer 0's in a survey then you get 0 for service from them the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Like I said earlier your true issue is not with BMW, BMWNA etc. but with the dealer. There is little BMWNA can do as per their dealer agreements but hurt them in the wallet based on your survey. Give them 0's as they deserve and they will not get paid for your service visit; it is that simple- someone's head will roll at the dealer and people will get it together. It is sad to say but some people become complacent while also thinking that they are doing the customer a favor.

Sounds like your CA and GM were on par but the service department is not. It may be a dealer that lacks trained employees (only a certain percentage are certified by BMW) or the important people were away etc. but every experience should be painless and if there is an issue they should correct it.

Here is a list of the Top Dealers in the US so you can see what the benchmark really is:

BMW Center City State
East Bay BMW Pleasanton CA
BMW of San Diego San Diego CA
Crevier BMW Santa Ana CA
South Bay BMW Torrance CA
Global Imports Atlanta GA
BMW of Dubuque Dubuque IA
Isringhausen Imports Springfield IL
Laurel BMW of Westmont Westmont IL
Basney BMW South Bend IN
Baron BMW Merriam KS
BMW Gallery Norwood MA