E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Yet another overheating thread

07-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #23
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Try running a better oil. I use Redline 5w-30 and my temps decreased 10-15f by just the change alone. I don't get over 240 even after 5-6 WOT pulls.
I might try this, I used to run Mobil 1 0w-40 until this last change since it's no longer long life approved. Since then I switched to castrol 0w40.

Although I'm not 100% convinced that it's the oil that could be causing he higher temps, I noticed my coolant has been low over the past few weeks I've had to fill maybe 2-3 times. I just can't seem to spot anywhere it might be leaking from.
I just had some overheat issues.. Turned out my radiator was leaking and then a few months later my expansion tank was leaking, check both of those
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #24
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRik View Post
I just had some overheat issues.. Turned out my radiator was leaking and then a few months later my expansion tank was leaking, check both of those
Good to know, if you don't mind me asking how did you notice the leak? Was there a good amount leaking out? I checked the tank, mine seems okay..but my concern is actually the radiator.
      07-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #25
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good to know, if you don't mind me asking how did you notice the leak? Was there a good amount leaking out? I checked the tank, mine seems okay..but my concern is actually the radiator.
The tank I noticed wet drip spots behind the tank. The radiator I would notice drip spots after driving the car and would have to top off the coolant every 2 weeks. Now it will look like its leaking from near the middle of the car but that's because while your driving it flies back their from the front. Wouldn't hurt to check around your water pump also to see if that's the culprit

Also did your aux fan ever kick on?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #26
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The tank I noticed wet drip spots behind the tank. The radiator I would notice drip spots after driving the car and would have to top off the coolant every 2 weeks. Now it will look like its leaking from near the middle of the car but that's because while your driving it flies back their from the front. Wouldn't hurt to check around your water pump also to see if that's the culprit

Yeah water pump was the first thing I looked at since I had it fail on me once already. I'm leaning toward the possibility of the radiator since it's literally word for word what you're saying happened to yours. I've only noticed drops of coolant underneath and couldn't even see where it was coming from. Aux fan has kicked on a few times but doesn't it normally come on when the AC is on though?
      07-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #27
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah water pump was the first thing I looked at since I had it fail on me once already. I'm leaning toward the possibility of the radiator since it's literally word for word what you're saying happened to yours. I've only noticed drops of coolant underneath and couldn't even see where it was coming from. Aux fan has kicked on a few times but doesn't it normally come on when the AC is on though?
When it kicked on did it sound loud? And stay on after you turned off the car? Take a look more into the radiator, how many miles are you at?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #28
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When it kicked on did it sound loud? And stay on after you turned off the car? Take a look more into the radiator, how many miles are you at?
Quick update, ArcticRik, you hit the nail on the head with what it was!!

I gave a call to my SA at BMW, I thought my CPO warranty expired but apparently it's not up yet. I scheduled an appointment to have them take a look yesterday. Got a call back today saying they found a leak at the bottom of the radiator and that it's covered under warranty!

Apparently they didn't find a leak with the pressure test right away, then he said when they took the intercooler off that's when they noticed the leak.
      07-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #29
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quick update, ArcticRik, you hit the nail on the head with what it was!!

I gave a call to my SA at BMW, I thought my CPO warranty expired but apparently it's not up yet. I scheduled an appointment to have them take a look yesterday. Got a call back today saying they found a leak at the bottom of the radiator and that it's covered under warranty!

Apparently they didn't find a leak with the pressure test right away, then he said when they took the intercooler off that's when they noticed the leak.
Nice!!!! Glad it worked out! I know I was chasing that same issue a few months back for weeks!
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #30
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice!!!! Glad it worked out! I know I was chasing that same issue a few months back for weeks!
Yeah man, except my level of frustration is through the roof! Got the radiator done the other day and it was great. I bring it home and notice a huge puddle under my car. Popped the hood and coolant is shooting out of the bleed screw!!! I guess they tightened too hard and it broke inside the expansion tank!! I can't catch a break with this car recently
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #31
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah man, except my level of frustration is through the roof! Got the radiator done the other day and it was great. I bring it home and notice a huge puddle under my car. Popped the hood and coolant is shooting out of the bleed screw!!! I guess they tightened too hard and it broke inside the expansion tank!! I can't catch a break with this car recently
Might as well have them swap that out also as it was bound to fail sooner or later, I was in your shoes a few months ago :/
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #32
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Might as well have them swap that out also as it was bound to fail sooner or later, I was in your shoes a few months ago :/
It gets better and better, you called it YET again!!

After the bleed screw failed I went to pick the car up and asked why they didn't change the tank? He said to me "We didn't notice it leaking so we didn't think it needed to be replaced." So fast forward to the next day, I'm on my lunch break at work when the coolant light pops up on my way back to work. I pop the hood, take a look, low and behold there's coolant just pouring out of the seam of the expansion tank ...

This is now the third time the cars been towed to the dealership, but hey, third times a charm right?
      07-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #33
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It gets better and better, you called it YET again!!

After the bleed screw failed I went to pick the car up and asked why they didn't change the tank? He said to me "We didn't notice it leaking so we didn't think it needed to be replaced." So fast forward to the next day, I'm on my lunch break at work when the coolant light pops up on my way back to work. I pop the hood, take a look, low and behold there's coolant just pouring out of the seam of the expansion tank ...

This is now the third time the cars been towed to the dealership, but hey, third times a charm right?
:/ I'm sorry to hear man!! It's a relatively cheap fix I paid $100 for the tank and a simple 20 min swap, but I understand your frustration... Not fun at all! You have CPO correct? So the tow was free? You might as well have them do a complete look over if they already have the car!!! I hope I don't foresee anymore negativity for you :/
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #34
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
:/ I'm sorry to hear man!! It's a relatively cheap fix I paid $100 for the tank and a simple 20 min swap, but I understand your frustration... Not fun at all! You have CPO correct? So the tow was free? You might as well have them do a complete look over if they already have the car!!! I hope I don't foresee anymore negativity for you :/
Thank you man I hope this is the end of this terrible disaster as well!!

Yes, I am covered under CPO so all I had to pay was $50 (cpo deducible) when they first replaced the radiator. Tow was free both times (although took over 5hrs for them to come both times)! I just picked the car up today after they now replaced the tank. I did my own once over of the entire engine & immediately put the car up on ramps and checked underneath when I got home after a 30min ride and all seems to be good.