THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum First car

02-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #23
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Hate to be a wet blanket,but the first thing you should do is get some all-season or Winter tires if he intends to drive the car year round. Michelin recommends driving with the PSS Summer tires only when the average temperatures are above 45 degrees F. let alone in the snow. Along with less traction there is potential for sidewall cracking if you do,so you might want to keep an eye out for that since you drove home from DC in cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #24
Jk356
Rep
Drives: 2015 328

thanks for the info Tpeterson

He isn't driving the car until it warms up here anyway,
and then we are going to buy a set of winter tires for the winter months
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #25
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

What a great story and thanks for sharing.

He is going to remember that road trip with his dad LONG after he has forgotten that car.

I just bought my 18 daughter her first car but it was a 999 cc VW !

I have driven some of those roads whilst on business on your side of the pond btw.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #26
Jk356
Rep

thanks pedrof31

It really wasn't about the car anyway. It was more about the journey and
spending time with someone you love
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'm closing in on 43 and my M235 is nicest car I've ever owned. I've worked damn hard all my life and have had some good luck along the way. Even then, I feel guilty for owning it when others struggle so hard.

My son who's currently 13, is a straight A student and is an exceptional kid that really asks for very little. We've taught him that if he wants something, he has to save for it. And he does that. He will be working when he turns 14-15, whether it's mowing yards, working at the grocery store, etc. He will work while in HS and college and during the 20-25 hours/wk in summers. My wife and I did and we will also expect good grades as well (straight As are not a requirement in our home, just your best effort).

My son (and daughter) will pay for a portion of their cars and those cars will be well cared for 5 to 7 y/o $8-10K ~120hp Hondas or Toyotas with reliable, simple, and easy to repair 4 cylinder drivetrains. I will teach them how to work on their cars and more importantly, how to drive defensively and handle emergency situations in all driving conditions.

Call me crazy, but there is NO WAY I'd consider buying my kids $30k+ cars. We could easily afford that, but if they got a car like that from the start then what's the expectation when they're on their own? A $60K car? A $500K starter house? It just sets them up for disappoint later on in life, or worse, a lifestyle of living beyond their means, IMO.

Secondly, a 228 is way to quick for a teenager, IMO. We were all young once. Sure, you can kill yourself in a 100hp Corolla be being dumb, but a 228 can generate a lot of speed very quickly. See Mustang Youtube videos for reference. I'm not willing to give my children that type of firepower until they've fully mastered a BB gun.

I know what's done is done on your end and you and your son are happy, but you also posted on a public forum so it should be expected to read positive and negative responses. I certainly don't support such cars for kids, no matter how rich they are, how hard they work, how good they are, etc. I really feel like it doesn't help them.
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk356 View Post

For him, strongly also suggest (based on safety) that you avoid the "performance winter" category and get either Blizzak WS80 (not LM series) or Michelin XIce (not PA/Alpin anything) for winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #29
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i, 2024 GLC300

My first "car" was a Honda 50 motorbike which I was allowed to buy during my senior year in high school. Dad placed some fairly strict requirements on the deal. First off, my grades (I hovered around a B average) were not to suffer in any way, or the deal was off. Second, dad agreed to loan me the money and I made monthly payments to him in the same manner as if it was a bank loan. He even charged me a small amount of interest.

I look back on this as a valuable lesson: I had to pay for it with my own job money, so I took exceptionally good care of the motorbike. Secondly, between school and after school work, I didn't get to ride the motorbike nearly as much as I would've liked. For me, this was a good lesson in self discipline.

Not long after my son became of driving age, his grandpa kindly sold him a very basic and used Nissan pickup truck. He faithfully made monthly payments to his grandpa from his modest income as a box-boy at a local super market after school. He loved that little truck.

My son didn't really care for high school and struggled with some of the courses. But, he made it. No, not a straight-A student by any means. But, we stood by him and he graduated. Later, when he could chose his course in life, he went off to college and did exceptionally well. I think he even surprised himself. And he held down a part-time job all through college, in addition to racking up pilot ratings, including being a flight instructor. Today, he is a regional airline pilot for a major carrier and also runs his own, very successful aviation related business. I couldn't be more proud of him.

In conclusion, I believe reward for patience and hard work can come in many forms.

Expert ultracrepidarian
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #30
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:

For him, strongly also suggest (based on safety) that you avoid the "performance winter" category and get either Blizzak WS80 (not LM series) or Michelin XIce (not PA/Alpin anything) for winter.
This and def go down to a 17" rim. Sportstick and I could chew your ear off about BBS rims all day long, but def go with something in a 17".
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #31
Jk356
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'm closing in on 43 and my M235 is nicest car I've ever owned. I've worked damn hard all my life and have had some good luck along the way. Even then, I feel guilty for owning it when others struggle so hard.

My son who's currently 13, is a straight A student and is an exceptional kid that really asks for very little. We've taught him that if he wants something, he has to save for it. And he does that. He will be working when he turns 14-15, whether it's mowing yards, working at the grocery store, etc. He will work while in HS and college and during the 20-25 hours/wk in summers. My wife and I did and we will also expect good grades as well (straight As are not a requirement in our home, just your best effort).

My son (and daughter) will pay for a portion of their cars and those cars will be well cared for 5 to 7 y/o $8-10K ~120hp Hondas or Toyotas with reliable, simple, and easy to repair 4 cylinder drivetrains. I will teach them how to work on their cars and more importantly, how to drive defensively and handle emergency situations in all driving conditions.

Call me crazy, but there is NO WAY I'd consider buying my kids $30k+ cars. We could easily afford that, but if they got a car like that from the start then what's the expectation when they're on their own? A $60K car? A $500K starter house? It just sets them up for disappoint later on in life, or worse, a lifestyle of living beyond their means, IMO.

Secondly, a 228 is way to quick for a teenager, IMO. We were all young once. Sure, you can kill yourself in a 100hp Corolla be being dumb, but a 228 can generate a lot of speed very quickly. See Mustang Youtube videos for reference. I'm not willing to give my children that type of firepower until they've fully mastered a BB gun.

I know what's done is done on your end and you and your son are happy, but you also posted on a public forum so it should be expected to read positive and negative responses. I certainly don't support such cars for kids, no matter how rich they are, how hard they work, how good they are, etc. I really feel like it doesn't help them.

All good points, and I really struggled with this purchase for that very reason.
especially the point about setting high expectations that will be difficult to sustain when they are on their own. I certainly would not want them to live beyond their means.

I don't think this is the how it will be for this kid. He is very low key and modest ( nerdy, but in a good way). He didn't get home and show the car off to his friends or kids at school, or on social media.

Again, the point was more about the experience shared with my son and less about the car, But your points are valid and I don't disagree with them.
And as you say what is done is done
he is a very fortunate kid, but hopefully not a spoiled one

Last edited by Jk356; 02-17-2017 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #32
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
This and def go down to a 17" rim. Sportstick and I could chew your ear off about BBS rims all day long, but def go with something in a 17".
Yes, of course....this is good advice....215/50-17 on rims which clear the blue calipers.....such as BBS SR!!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #33
Jk356
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Yes, of course....this is good advice....215/50-17 on rims which clear the blue calipers.....such as BBS SR!!

205/50 17?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...wtpackage=true
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #34
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
We could easily afford that, but if they got a car like that from the start then what's the expectation when they're on their own? A $60K car? A $500K starter house? It just sets them up for disappoint later on in life, or worse, a lifestyle of living beyond their means, IMO.
The expectation is, you watch your parents bust their ass to help you and give you the best, and you then in return have a good work ethic instilled in you to do the same for yourself and your kids.

How your kids turn out is strictly up to you, buying them a BMW as a reward for 10 years of busting their ass shows hard work truly pays. (even if sometimes it sure as hell seems like it does not)

(By the way OP, I would have taken that bet in a heartbeat )
Appreciate 1
Dylan861335.00
      02-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #35
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is fine as well, and even a bit better for more narrowness while the load rating is capable.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #36
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
nothing too fast
First: welcome to the club. Great choice of color!
Second: Nothing too fast? At a published 5.2 seconds, a 228 and a 130mph (or 155mph, not sure) top speed is VERY fast compared to most other cars on the road!

But, as you've already said, the most important part of all of this was the road trip. I remember taking a week long road trip with my father touring college campuses my junior year in high school (although that was in a minivan, not a 2-series). Although I under-appreciated it at the time, in hindsight it was an incredible experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 05:09 AM   #37
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Enjoy the time, before you know it he'll be buying you cars. Hopefully for him you hold onto your cars longer than my dad holds onto his! Every 6-12 months I'm on the hunt for something new for him.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #38
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Enjoy the time, before you know it he'll be buying you cars. Hopefully for him you hold onto your cars longer than my dad holds onto his! Every 6-12 months I'm on the hunt for something new for him.
I realize this thread is wandering a bit, but in line with the OP's famiy story, here's somewhat of a turnabout from waaaay back when. The year was 1977 and my dad (also a physician in line with another current thread) had usually bounced between Chevrolets and Oldsmobiles. After my year with my (and what was shown to be the USAs by VIN sale date) first 320i in late 1976, my mom and I decided my dad needed a new car. So we bought him one secretly....a 1977 BMW 530i, Reseda Green with whatever the tan color leather was called back then. The salesman consipired with us, and had it parked out front as a "demo" when we finally convinced him to at least go try out one of these "foreign cars", helped by a couple of his friends having had Bavarias.

During the "test drive" (car was already paid for, although at 23 years old, it wasn't my money adding to the then-high price of $14,000), it became clear he was really enjoying the ride. We knew in the past he had said spending that much for a car would give him heartburn. At the end of the ride, I asked him how he liked it and he said it was a very nice car. I pulled out a bottle of Maalox and a small plaque, "This Car Made Especially for (his name)" and stuck in on the instrument panel. He broke out in a shirt-soaking sweat as the reality dawned on him. Not too long after that, it resulted in this now-fading photo back at home. The car lasted into the mid-80s and he died in 1993...with his last (self-purchased) car after the BMW being....another Oldsmobile.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #39
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
I realize this thread is wandering a bit, but in line with the OP's famiy story, here's somewhat of a turnabout from waaaay back when. The year was 1977 and my dad (also a physician in line with another current thread) had usually bounced between Chevrolets and Oldsmobiles. After my year with my (and what was shown to be the USAs by VIN sale date) first 320i in late 1976, my mom and I decided my dad needed a new car. So we bought him one secretly....a 1977 BMW 530i, Reseda Green with whatever the tan color leather was called back then. The salesman consipired with us, and had it parked out front as a "demo" when we finally convinced him to at least go try out one of these "foreign cars", helped by a couple of his friends having had Bavarias.

During the "test drive" (car was already paid for, although at 23 years old, it wasn't my money adding to the then-high price of $14,000), it became clear he was really enjoying the ride. We knew in the past he had said spending that much for a car would give him heartburn. At the end of the ride, I asked him how he liked it and he said it was a very nice car. I pulled out a bottle of Maalox and a small plaque, "This Car Made Especially for (his name)" and stuck in on the instrument panel. He broke out in a shirt-soaking sweat as the reality dawned on him. Not too long after that, it resulted in this now-fading photo back at home. The car lasted into the mid-80s and he died in 1993...with his last (self-purchased) car after the BMW being....another Oldsmobile.

[IMG]http://www.2addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1487423452[/IMG]
That's a great story. I'm actually on the hunt for a 1977 right now, a 280Z to be exact. Mom claims it out her into labor due to lack of power steering. Then, first father / son outing we didn't make it out of the driveway. Dad was planning to take me to his hospital to make rounds with him but shut my hand in the door. I was fine but he flipped out. He was in the operating room the next day and Mom sold the car without consulting him it was gone when he got back from work at the hospital.

He's had EVERYTHING a gear head could want and still talks about that damn car!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #40
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
The expectation is, you watch your parents bust their ass to help you and give you the best, and you then in return have a good work ethic instilled in you to do the same for yourself and your kids.

How your kids turn out is strictly up to you, buying them a BMW as a reward for 10 years of busting their ass shows hard work truly pays. (even if sometimes it sure as hell seems like it does not)
I agree, parents are the primary base in molding a child into a successful, independent, and good-matured adult. My kids have some really nice things, but they have to earn those things and demonstrate responsibility (all within reason give their age at the time). Even if I had $10M, I wouldn't be buying my kids new BMWs. IMO, you've got to start low and work your way up. There's no such thing as a free lunch. As I said, my kids will get nice used reliable cars that are easy to service and easy to repair. Teenagers are terrible drivers. Some are aggressive, some are dumb, some oblivious, and some overly focused. But all are inexperienced and they will wreck, hit things, slide into things, slam their door or wheels into things, etc.

I'm not saying I expect and want my kids to struggle in order to be successful. They really won't have to. But they are going to have to put in their fair share and respect the things they have so they can get those nicer, luxurious things in life.

Clearly I'm in the minority here though as most in here are far younger than I and have been driving new BMWs since their teen years

Jk356's son does appear to be a good kid and appears very thankful. Some people you can pick up good vibes simply by body language. He will certainly remember that time in life where he got that car and had that trip with his dad.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #41
Jk356
Rep

By the way,
I remember reading about wine and a phrase stuck with me
That the best grapes come from vines that are challenged (through pruning or water management or temperature tolerance)
And that the grapes that are "babied" lack the resilience to survive and in the end don't produce as good a wine
From horticulture to parenting
to xutvjets's point
perhaps the kids that are happiest in life, are the ones that are challenged and struggle a bit. They grow tough and can adapt to a changing world. And to that end, this current generation of parents (me included) who coddle and do everything for their kids are setting them up for difficult times when they reach adulthood.

anyway, it was a good trip,
time to start pruning the vines tho maybe

Last edited by Jk356; 02-18-2017 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #42
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Check out the book the millionaire next door. Haven't read it in quite a while but go into detail about a theory they call economic outpatient care. Basically your wine analogy but with statistics behind it. Something like for every $1 you give someone you reduce their lifetime earnings by some multiple of that. Not true for everyone obviously they're aggregating big data, but definitely an interesting read.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #43
savethemanuals
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6-speed

Very cool story, thanks for sharing!

2-series is my first car as well, I feel like I'm re-living the experience reading this (I'm 17 now)! Honestly nothing is more exciting than picking up a new ride, especially when it's your first...Your son will never, ever forget that experience for sure. I look at my delivery pics with nostalgia all the time.

I got some comments in the beginning as well, many thought it was too much car for a teenager. When my dad and I left the dealer, the finance guy gave my dad a look like "are you nuts?", then looked me straight in the eye and said "be very, very careful. Don't take turns too fast, that car has a lot of power." I think he thought we'd be back the next week looking for an insurance replacement...But people forget that it doesn't take 320 hp, or 240 hp, or even 100 hp to get into trouble. Unless you redline the thing or take it up to its top speed, an econobox would be no less safe IMO. Sure, BMWs are fast cars, but just because my BMW gets to 60 faster than another car doesn't mean I'm suddenly irresponsible and will push limits. I drive the same speed whether I'm in my car or in my dad's 150hp commuter. If you trust your son, the kind of road feedback, balance, braking and grip this BMW has will only make him safer.

Having lived with one for the past 10 months, I just want to say what a perfect first car it is. Aside from all the handling and balance which everyone on here knows and loves, the car is just good–being a young driver–because of its size and visibility. Parallel parking is a breeze because it's small, and it's just plain maneuverable around town. It's also so easy to see out of. The car's just easy to drive.

Best of luck!

Last edited by savethemanuals; 02-18-2017 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 12:12 AM   #44
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Gotta say I think this is a hella bad idea for anybody else considering it. I'll admit I'm biased, because of years working in a setting where you see the bad outcomes, not the good ones. Every parent I ever met was in denial, to some degree - once they hit the ICU, they were all great kids that caught a tragic bad break that mom and dad didn't really think about. Even the best and most level-headed of teenagers are susceptible to the kinds of quick bad decisions that can forever alter the course of a life; and not just theirs, but their friends and acquaintances too. I hope you get your son into that drivers school pronto, and also share a few 'quality moments' with him reviewing crash videos, and what happens to a car going 100 when the bonehead taking the speedo-selfie does something a bit off script (but no bragging and showing off on social media for junior, no sirree). Best wishes to stay safe.
Appreciate 0