THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System

11-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #331
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Ohh ok do you have a picture. I thought i saw someone drilling, and putting a speed clip in for hole #3?

edit: nevermind i found the post
Great. It's just a matter of saving the original BMW screws that hold down the OEM speakers and finding a wide washer or some other thing-a-ma-jig that will overlap the new speaker's edge. I also put 1/4" window foam under the speaker plate to seal the speaker.

If anyone needs more info than this let me know and I'll snap a picture.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #332
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Eton set ordered from ExtremeAudio Germany. I guess the springs can wait.
Appreciate 2
mdt37.50
      11-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #333
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

I have a dedicated 12" woofer for lows in the trunk, does anyone know what would be a good dedicated 8" mid-driver to replace the underseat woofers?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #334
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

JL C2-400X Installed

It's official, i finally got my JL C2-400X's installed in the rear. Overall the process was pretty straight forward.

Requirements:
JL C2-400X
Pair of OEM style connector harnesses
Plastic Trim removal kit to remove grills
T25 for the screws holding them in
Sound dampening mat
Mat install roller tool
Uncarriage bolt/washer for third screw (BMW part 07149126886)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Beartato887.50
      12-06-2016, 03:58 AM   #335
Sam_M
Tea wot?
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 135i 6MT

Quote:
I have a dedicated 12" woofer for lows in the trunk, does anyone know what would be a good dedicated 8" mid-driver to replace the underseat woofers?
Focal IFBMW-sub V2 fit.

More info in this thread.

http://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=92733

For around £550 you can replace the front, rears and underseat subs with plug and play focal units.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #336
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

Did the sound deadening Material make a big difference on the rear deck?
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #337
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I dunno but it sure looks cool! Added an extra hour onto the deal, but it was pleasing.

I want to take off the whole deck and add a layer undernear, and find a way to prevent the rattle from this thing. It is very loosely attached and flaps around with a real trunk subwoofer, very F*cking annoying
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #338
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

I was just about to ask in this thread about the third screw for the rears, but I guess I don't have to now thanks!

Ever since install I've noticed a tapping sound from the rear on bumpy roads, and I can only assume it's the speaker moving.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #339
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

With respect to the BMW OEM Speaker Connector Harness Pigtails, it's not entirely clear in this thread how many sets you should order from the Ebay site. Does ordering one set comprise enough pigtails to complete the install of two speakers OR do you need to order two sets to complete the install? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #340
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

One set is a pair of pigtails. It does state pair if you read the auction I know the picture is misleading.

One pair. When you install check the red wire matches the red striped wire in the OEM connector. Because i had to swap the pins on mine to match. I was able to do this on the pigtail connector, with a small flat jewelers screwdrivers, to remove each pin and re-insert into the opposite position. It's very easy, there is a plastic cover over the top of the connector hiding the recess where you can press down on the locking tab on the pins.. Once you remove that little locking tab, you can insert your tiny flathead and while pulling it will slide through, you will have to do it twice as it passes through the connector. When you do it, you will see what i mean. Go slowly and gently, the tab will break if you try to force it out.. When you get it, it pulls through nice and easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #341
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
One set is a pair of pigtails. It does state pair if you read the auction I know the picture is misleading.

One pair. When you install check the red wire matches the red striped wire in the OEM connector. Because i had to swap the pins on mine to match. I was able to do this on the pigtail connector, with a small flat jewelers screwdrivers, to remove each pin and re-insert into the opposite position. It's very easy, there is a plastic cover over the top of the connector hiding the recess where you can press down on the locking tab on the pins.. Once you remove that little locking tab, you can insert your tiny flathead and while pulling it will slide through, you will have to do it twice as it passes through the connector. When you do it, you will see what i mean. Go slowly and gently, the tab will break if you try to force it out.. When you get it, it pulls through nice and easy.
Or, you can flip the connections at the speaker itself. Doesn't matter where, just as long as they're switched if the pigtail on the LR speaker doesn't match red-to-striped-red.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #342
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
I was just about to ask in this thread about the third screw for the rears, but I guess I don't have to now thanks!

Ever since install I've noticed a tapping sound from the rear on bumpy roads, and I can only assume it's the speaker moving.
Not necessarily. Because of its length, the pigtail itself can knock against metal and cause a commotion. I've had to mess with mine twice ...

... but just in case, I've used Loctite (the lightest variety; red, I think) on my third speaker screw. No' mo' rattling, knock on wood.
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #343
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Well if you've already crimped on your connectors on the pigtails for the C2-400X's you'll noticed there is a large one and a small one... Thus i did it my way !

Plus what's the point in doing it if your not going to do it right Regardless it works either work. Takes a few moments to do it right.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #344
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

This is a great thread and super helpful. Off the back of it I've purchased the JL Audios for rear, Eatons for Front, pigtails, dynamat and ASD harness - so all good to go.
But just wondering, why are we not replacing the rears with the same component Eaton set we are using in the front?
Is it a cost thing vs audible improvements (JL's being cheaper than Eatons)?
In a perfect world (which it isn't) wouldn't it be better to have same drivers all round and aren't the rears an easy swap out/swap in?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #345
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
The center channel isn't necessary for music reproduction and actually on the HK system the center channel messes with the soundstage using substandard speakers. It makes the sound very diffuse. By disconnecting the center channel you get a spatial sound array with more definition and a cleaner sound with more bite.
What if you have upgraded the speakers? That's what I've done, but have not connected them. I'm wondering whether it was a mistake. It's presently lacking the balance I experienced prior to the upgrade. Reducing its contribution incrementally would probably be the best solution.
      12-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #346
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
This is a great thread and super helpful. Off the back of it I've purchased the JL Audios for rear, Eatons for Front, pigtails, dynamat and ASD harness - so all good to go.
But just wondering, why are we not replacing the rears with the same component Eaton set we are using in the front?
In a perfect world (which it isn't) wouldn't it be better to have same drivers all round and aren't the rears an easy swap out/swap in?
Thanks
I assumed it was because they are the best value for money of the speakers that would fit at the back (no depth restriction) but not in the doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #347
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
Quote:
The center channel isn't necessary for music reproduction and actually on the HK system the center channel messes with the soundstage using substandard speakers. It makes the sound very diffuse. By disconnecting the center channel you get a spatial sound array with more definition and a cleaner sound with more bite.
What if you have upgraded the speakers? That's what I've done, but have not connected them. I'm wondering whether it was a mistake. It's presently lacking the balance I experienced prior to the upgrade. Reducing its contribution incrementally would probably be the best solution.
Yeah, with my Bimmertech amp I actually have the center turned down about 6dB but not off completely. This may change when I get my Etons installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #348
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenny View Post
just finished putting the JL's in the rear, but had a question about putting the grill back on. are people leaving the grill off? it looks like the clearance to the coax tweeter would be pretty damn close when popping the grill back on...
Yes, use the grill. No contact on top and you don't want to risk having something puncture the cone. Also, the grill provides some protection from direct sunlight on the cones and surrounds.
Just to be clear also, are we double grilling in the rear?
JL-A grills and then OEM over the top?
Or just OEM grills?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #349
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
Quote:
Thanks
I assumed it was because they are the best value for money of the speakers that would fit at the back (no depth restriction) but not in the doors.
Yes thanks, there's a bit of an explanation as to why I've now seen earlier in the thread (page 3/4). Would seem blending the two speaker manufacturers compliments the over all sound as the JL's have a little more slam/punch than the Eatons - also costs benefits for no gain.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #350
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
Yeah, with my Bimmertech amp I actually have the center turned down about 6dB but not off completely. This may change when I get my Etons installed.
Is that on the map you uploaded in the other thread? I'm going to try that this weekend.
      12-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #351
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Or just OEM grills?
Just install the speakers

Name:  JL Audio C2--400X.JPG
Views: 1627
Size:  16.3 KB

and use the OEM grille over that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #352
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Or just OEM grills?
Just install the speakers

Attachment 1538384

and use the OEM grille over that.
Cheers, that's what I thought but best to check!
Appreciate 0