THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Australian M2 thread

02-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #199
2Banger
M POSTER
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
I've ordered a DCT with sunroof, hoping for delivery April/May.

I've heard some dealerships may have some arriving in late March but these may just be demo cars.
Im happy the M2 is coming out just around the same time i get off my P's, Gonna test one out asoon as those babies land...

But then at the same time guttered its gonna kill 235i Prices slowly... And thats just gonna leave me with a massive shitstorm loss haha
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #200
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

I'm excited for you guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 03:50 AM   #201
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Doesn't seem to be anywhere near the interest or enthusiasm in the M2 as there was for the 1M, very low key.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #202
2er
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Doesn't seem to be anywhere near the interest or enthusiasm in the M2 as there was for the 1M, very low key.
I was thinking exactly the same thing about the 235. Coming from a 135, there seems to be very few 235's about. Surprises me. Even the activity on the 2 series forum is far less.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #203
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2er View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing about the 235. Coming from a 135, there seems to be very few 235's about. Surprises me. Even the activity on the 2 series forum is far less.
I think the market has moved on with S3/RS3/A45 family and maybe the reduced M3/4 pricing (Focus RS dare I say). Besides, the M2 is just a vanilla model now like the rest of the M range so people are not jumping on a short build cycle car anymore.

I'm happy with my new little car, bit of a last minute decision, I was looking at M3 over the M2 before jumping in.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #204
2er
Private
Rep

Good points. I too am very happy. Wasn't even looking at the 2er, in fact wasn't actually planning on a new car. But 1er was way outside warranty and past its economical life. Last straw was when I blew a charge pipe on New Year's Day 5 minutes out of gerringong and car was flat bedded back to nearest dealer. And that's when it all started. Cut a good deal with Dweyers and the rest is history.

2er is certainly more refined, albeit a bit softer. Will put in a JB4 as soon as it is run in
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #205
2Banger
M POSTER
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2er

Saw M2 in person afew days ago...

The rear gaurds/exhaust look nice and once complimented with awesome diffuser would look great.

But theres things like Non-M Mirrors, Seats, Side Vents and simple small stuff that have made this car look like it was rushed... Even the rear those reflectors? why not make vents like 1M or something orange reflectors look HORRID.

Other then that its such a nice car parked next to it in my normal 2er the difference was there immediately from every angle.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #206
Wasko
Private
Australia
Rep

Agree.

Just doesn't feel like a real M car, similar to the M235i which I already have so pointless upgrading. Next for me will definitely be a proper M car so will be looking at M4/M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #207
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

And what about the non black roof...... so you can look like the hotted up mazda 6s and civics.

Do you want to drive it or look at it? Mirrors seats....I couldnt give a flying f. How does it drive and go. You want eye candy and bling. Buy an A45 AMG. Or Cherokee SRT.
      03-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #208
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasko View Post
Agree.

Just doesn't feel like a real M car, similar to the M235i which I already have so pointless upgrading. Next for me will definitely be a proper M car so will be looking at M4/M3.
Interested to know why you say it 'doesn't feel like a real M car'? Were you one of the lucky ones who recently got to drive it at the BMW track day along with the M3/4 to compare? All the reviews i've read and videos i've watched state the opposite.

Coincidently this Topgear review just came out and is also very positive, especially in the final sentence which actually relates quite well to your statement. "it’s not just the M car you can most afford. It’s the one you most want."
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/revi...t-new-bmw-m2#1
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:38 AM   #209
Wasko
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Interested to know why you say it 'doesn't feel like a real M car'? Were you one of the lucky ones who recently got to drive it at the BMW track day along with the M3/4 to compare? All the reviews i've read and videos i've watched state the opposite.

Coincidently this Topgear review just came out and is also very positive, especially in the final sentence which actually relates quite well to your statement. "it’s not just the M car you can most afford. It’s the one you most want."

Interesting. To quote myself, I said it doesn't feel like a real M car. This doesn't mean I don't think it's a capable car, in fact I think quite the opposite based on everything I've read. This also doesn't mean it is not an M car, BMW has been quite clear that it is and they are the ones calling the shots.

Now, what would draw me to an M car? Well, amongst a lot of things there is having an engine not shared with lesser variants and also the quality of the interior furnishings e.g. seats. The M2 resuses a lot of things from the M235i, albeit with modifications. I understand why the M2 doesn't receive the full treatment, now that the 1 series M has stopped production the M2 is the entry level M car and sacrifices need to be made to keep costs down. But it is these same sacrifies that point me to M cars higher up the value chain.

There is no right or wrong here, it really depends on what you are looking for in a car and we all have our preferences. If the M2 appeals to you, then go for it
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #210
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I have to say I agree and disagree in the argument of whether M2 is a "real m car" or not...

Obviously it's a "M" car. But M cars has been massively diluted, there are so many out there with different characteristics that it's hard to define what a real M car is anymore.

M2 is the cheapest and most affordable one out there, in this world you can't have it all, it can't be affordable yet have all the gadgets.

So a lot have been sacrificed for the M2... I think the car is sufficient for the price. For me it's not worth it because I have a M235i but for someone who's looking into jumping into a small BMW? It's great.

The problem I really have is and what I'm looking for is basically a M3 but in a M2 size. M3/M4 are great cars but it's too big, M2 is a great car but I just don't think its luxurious enough. I want all the gadgets of the M3/M4 in the M2, Nappa leather, carbon roof, something that will make the M2 special.

I personally think M2 pure should be the fully optioned M2 and I think there's a market for a more expensive M2 with all the extras, even though it will cut even closer to M3/M4 pricing, I think people will still buy it.

What I also agree with some is that M2 uses a lot of parts from M3/M4 which is good but it doesn't make M2 special, but it is understandable, BMW can't really make individual parts for every single car.

So in this sense, I think there's a case for the M2 not feeling like a true M car, it's not special enough.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 04:11 AM   #211
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post

I was one of those few lucky to get invited to drive the M2 alongside the M3/M4 on Philip Island

And can add that the M2 is quite similar to the M3/M4 but a little harder less composed/raw maybe? compared to the other 2. I personally felt the M3/M4 were better suited to the track and were heaps more composed around the corners but feel that the M2 would be a much nicer car to live with on our roads. As for feel.. well its subjective but it definitely feels more M3/M4 like rather than m235i like.

The noise of the M2 was also heaps better than the M3/M4 but the major let down was the interior of the M2 which was nothing special and very much like a stock standard m235i except for a few cosmetic touches.

As for the M car you most want.... well thats subjective. Im personally not a fan of the new M 6 cylinder cars and would much rather the engine in the X5m/X6m but thats me personally.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #212
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
I was one of those few lucky to get invited to drive the M2 alongside the M3/M4 on Philip Island

And can add that the M2 is quite similar to the M3/M4 but a little harder less composed/raw maybe? compared to the other 2. I personally felt the M3/M4 were better suited to the track and were heaps more composed around the corners but feel that the M2 would be a much nicer car to live with on our roads. As for feel.. well its subjective but it definitely feels more M3/M4 like rather than m235i like.

The noise of the M2 was also heaps better than the M3/M4 but the major let down was the interior of the M2 which was nothing special and very much like a stock standard m235i except for a few cosmetic touches.

As for the M car you most want.... well thats subjective. Im personally not a fan of the new M 6 cylinder cars and would much rather the engine in the X5m/X6m but thats me personally.
I don't really agree with that... they had the M2 for drives at Eastern Creek.

Your comment contradicts each other a little. M2 "it's a little harder, less composed/raw", while the M3/M4 are suited to the track, while the M2 would be much more liveable?

I actually think the M2 is slightly better (very slightly) car on track, now as much power, but with a shorter wheelbase, it's more enjoyable and can take it closer to the limit. while the M3/M4 are also great on the track, it is definitely better on the road, simply because the car is highly adjustable (transmission and suspension), you can tone everything down while you can't do that with M2 (M2 only have presets).

As for sound, I believe the M3/M4 still sounds much better.

But yes BMW could've done a lot more with the M2 interior, think in order to keep costs down, they've really neglected the interior of the M2. At least the 1M have alcantara!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #213
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
I don't really agree with that... they had the M2 for drives at Eastern Creek.

Your comment contradicts each other a little. M2 "it's a little harder, less composed/raw", while the M3/M4 are suited to the track, while the M2 would be much more liveable?

I actually think the M2 is slightly better (very slightly) car on track, now as much power, but with a shorter wheelbase, it's more enjoyable and can take it closer to the limit. while the M3/M4 are also great on the track, it is definitely better on the road, simply because the car is highly adjustable (transmission and suspension), you can tone everything down while you can't do that with M2 (M2 only have presets).

But yes BMW could've done a lot more with the M2 interior, think in order to keep costs down, they've really neglected the interior of the M2. At least the 1M have alcantara!
Thats fine we don't have to agree.
But i stand by my point.
The M2 is not as refined. much twitchier on the track whilst the M3/M4 was more composed and as such smoother to drive on the track.

This twitchiness and rawness i felt would be more fun on day to day roads but wasn't appealing to me on the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 05:52 AM   #214
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

That's interesting, different from what I have heard. M4 and sedan M3 are sizeable cars, M2 is supposed to be more chuck able.
      04-01-2016, 06:00 AM   #215
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:

No way!!! 0:30 onwards
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #216
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22
Quote:

That is obviously not stock!! M2 stock nowhere near fast enough to be MotoGP safety car. I saw a list of mods on that a while back when they first introduced it.

They didn't say it was tuned but I very much doubt that, as old MotoGP m4 safety car was tuned with 10% increase in power, water injections etc basically m4 gts. I'd assume it's the case with the m2 it's basically a m2 race car
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #217
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yeah I believe it's just M Performance backbox, compare it to the M4 with MP backbox it still sounds better!

O BTW, M2 does have alcantara on the door cards and it has carbon fibre so I think the interior definitely surpasses the 1M
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #218
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I believe it's just M Performance backbox, compare it to the M4 with MP backbox it still sounds better!

O BTW, M2 does have alcantara on the door cards and it has carbon fibre so I think the interior definitely surpasses the 1M
The one at eastern creek didn't sound anything like that... M4 MP is a full catback exhaust as well... Don't see how a M2 can sound better than a M4... Hard to believe considering, M2 have a N55 engine while M4 have a S55 engine...

At best it would sound the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:06 AM   #219
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yeah but the N55 in the M2 has a lot of the S55 gear in it..

Everyone has their own opinion but the M2 sounds 10x better than the M4 from my perspective!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #220
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but the N55 in the M2 has a lot of the S55 gear in it..

Everyone has their own opinion but the M2 sounds 10x better than the M4 from my perspective!
Yes, it has some M3/M4 components. But it's still not a better engine. My point is even if the M2 has a S55 engine, it would at most sound the same not better... It's like saying m235i sounds better than a 435i with the same engine... Doesn't make sense to me.

Did a little bit more research on the m2 MotoGP car, it sounds different because it is tuned differently, it is tuned to be high revving to suit the purpose of being a safety car, hence why it sounds nothing like the normal m2 on sale.

Ps crankshaft and pistons wouldn't change the sound that much.
Appreciate 0