THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Is an M240 with 100K mi a good bet?

05-20-2024, 08:51 PM   #1
Zoomz
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe, 718 Cayman S

Is an M240 with 100K mi a good bet?

I'm thinking to add an M240 x drive to the driveway as a fun daily that has year-round practicality. Would do a Stage 1 tune at least, as well a suspension overhaul to get proper handling--coilovers, sway bars, brakes, maybe monoball control arms. Have some experience with this via my 440 and find the results worth the investment.

I found a 2020 that's nice and cheap ($20K-ish) because it has 100K on the clock, meaning 20-25K miles driven per year. I'd prefer lower miles, but since I'm going to do some meaningful replacements anyway, I figure it might work out fine, and it gives me some budget for the upgrades. Being one of the last tunable B58s, I'd aim to keep it a good while. I'm some distance from the dealer, but I'd of course see what service records are available and try to remotely arrange a quality mechanical inspection before shipping.

Is this a good bet, or should I avoid high miles on these models and spend the extra cash for a fresher one?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 10:42 PM   #2
Nickies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

You should mean an inspection before committing to buy. This would make more sense to protect yourself.

It will tell you the story if it has been taken care. I personally would not buy a car with so high mileage and having in mind to invest substantial money for mods.

If the pre-purchase inspection is fine, just enjoy it the way it is because sooner or later, something will break. Many are on the market at about 40 - 50k and should represent a better investment in the long run.

Mine is at 55K, meticulously serviced and pampered from new. It has been flawless but kept fully stock.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 06:43 AM   #3
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Don't assume you saved a bunch of money on a cheaper than average example of the car. Stash some away for big repairs if needed. If it's a 2nd car you could potentially have down for a couple days here and there, I'd say go for it. These cars are the most reliable they've ever been but at the same time, more complicated for some repairs on things that do break. I wouldn't be allergic to the 100k number myself. Also if possible check the DME if it's unlockable, I'm not 100% sure on the cut off date for bench unlock.

If you do decide to buy it, start with a maintenance overhaul. ALL fluids, spark plugs, serpentine belt, etc, etc. Assume nothing has never been touched.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 08:56 AM   #4
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

If you're looking for a "Daily" then I would rather look for a lower mile vehicle. 60k max... Is a better "Bet"...

That said, it would be a worthwhile value if the seller agrees to allowing BMW 200(+) point inspection. Drop the oil and send it to Blackstone Labs, etc. At your cost... Maybe take the vehicle and give a deposit on a conditional sale that nothing shows up derogatory. If seller is resistant, then walk! It's ok, never fall in love! Or you could be in for a world of pain! Because every used car was only used for Church in Sundays! Lmao...

Then if all is good, as a daily, I would agree with above, all fluids, including drive train, transfer cases, etc, changed, belts checked, plugs changed, all filters, then to a shop for a detail top to bottom... Then an assessment as to what to do, ie, Tune, Exhaust, Intake, HPFP (not in that order)... And oh, new rubber too, unless decent! Because the car is only as good as where the rubber meets the road!

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:14 AM   #5
Phillymb75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 M50 - 20 M240i vert 6mt

I had to laugh, I looked on auto trader, there are literally two M240 x drives in the entire country listed for 2020.

If it's the one in NJ that's on there, it was dealer serviced it's whole life, I think that's a good indication that the person took care of it. I've always been an advocate for one owner high mileage cars, the owners drive a lot and depend on them so they typically service them well.

I would be curious why they stopped driving it mid last year, it took about 6-7 months for it to land at the dealer it's at. Though it's possible that last maintenance in 7/2023 they decided to trade it in and it bounced around auctions.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 02:33 PM   #6
NKOTB2015
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460, Toyota Sequoia, B

I personally wouldn't sink $20k-ish and then put more $ into mods on a BMW with 100k miles. If you use it as a DD, assuming 15k miles a yr, you'll be at 145k miles in few yrs and the car won't be worth much if you wanted to sell it. I doubt there are many buyers willing to spend much more than $10k on a BMW 2-series with 145k miles, but that's just my opinion. (I bought a 2015 F23 M235i with 67k miles for $15.5k recently...if that's a any sort of ref.)

I would either put the $ for mods into buying one with lower miles, or buy it, keep it stock (put the mod $ into emergency repair fund), and drive it till the wheels fall off.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:02 PM   #7
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

FWIW I bought an 2004 E46 convertible in 2012 with 93K on the clock. Drove it as a daily driver for 7 years and put 102k more miles on her. Sure I had to fix a few things over the years but it was a bargain at 13 K back then.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 02:32 PM   #8
NKOTB2015
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460, Toyota Sequoia, B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
FWIW I bought an 2004 E46 convertible in 2012 with 93K on the clock. Drove it as a daily driver for 7 years and put 102k more miles on her. Sure I had to fix a few things over the years but it was a bargain at 13 K back then.
Of course there will always be outliers that outlive the rest of the population...but I don't think the market prices are set based on those outliers (and of course there will be those that say "price is whatever someone is willing to pay for..." but you know what i'm sayin, hopefully.)

At the end of the day, it's your $. Spend it on what you want, how you want it!
Appreciate 0