THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2016 M240i brake clunking noise

08-23-2023, 06:27 AM   #1
Dave235i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

2016 M240i brake clunking noise

Hi guys, I’ve just bought a 2016 M240i and I’ve noticed it’s making this weird clunking noise.

It only happens the first time you brake after switching between drive and reverse. So reversing and braking for the first time causes a clunk, after which the clunking stops each time you brake. The same happens after going into drive.

I’m fairly certain the sound is coming from the brakes however all of the pads and disks look ok and the brake fluid was very recently changed.

It’s also just passed an MOT with no mention of brake issues.

I’ve also noticed some shake through the steering wheel when braking although this seems pretty inconsistent…

Any idea what might be causing this?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 06:43 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Could be this? https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1395468 see last post.

Steering wheel shake under braking could be a warped brake rotor in the front. Are the brake parts original?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
bcwalks2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

First, I would make sure everything is tight and torqued to spec. How many miles on the existing pads and rotors? Have they ever been replaced?
2016 M235i Mineral Gray/Coral Red
2018 X3 M40i Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 08:23 PM   #4
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Are they the stock pads?

When I have track pads on for the summer track season, those pads are sized a bit small so that when they expand under the horrific heat of track use they don't bind in the calipers. I found that the rears in particular would make a big clunk when shifting from reverse to forward after backing out of the driveway. It gets less once they warm up.

But the stock pads I run in the winter don't have that issue. Maybe a little clunk, but you really have to listen for it.

Also, keep in mind that the Brembo's on our cars have looser pads and will move around a bit more than the 1 piston sliders on most cars. They just have a single vertical tension spring to keep the rattling down, but the pads are not restrained fore/aft and will move.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2023, 12:56 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Do you know if the pads were recently replaced?

When I replaced my pads the first time, I accidently installed the brake pad spring clip upside down and it caused clunking as you noted. It also caused some clunking on big bumps too.

It's pretty easy to test and see if the pad spring clip is upside down. With the brakes stone cold, reach in through the wheel and push on the spring clip which is a silver/gold "+" piece of metal that sits above the pads. The clip should be tight and with absolutely no free movement.

This is what the spring clip looks like: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...BoC5PcQAvD_BwE