THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 1yr in a couple of days and still bone stock! Radiator has been replaced!

04-15-2023, 12:27 PM   #23
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 218i M Sport

Garage List
I’ve actually made a thread regarding the radiator rock guard as I wanted to have one installed but then too of realised my car already had it installed from factory as my car is the few of the last built F22 from production before the release of the G42.

So BMW must’ve of been aware of the vulnerabilities of the radiator to of addressed the issue by installing the rock guard in factory and I have to say it definitely does do a perfect job at protecting the radiator and definitely worth looking into it if you’re considering it. I got the part number and everything on that old thread etc if you’re interested mate cheers.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29887466
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:44 PM   #24
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM20 BMW View Post
So BMW must’ve of been aware of the vulnerabilities of the radiator to of addressed the issue by installing the rock guard in factory and I have to say it definitely does do a perfect job at protecting the radiator and definitely worth looking into it if you’re considering it. I got the part number and everything on that old thread etc if you’re interested mate cheers.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29887466
I already looked into having the rock guard installed. The local dealer claims the entire radiator mount has to be replaced to provide the attachment for the guard. Total cost including installation was $1500 - 2000 (I forget the exact number). Plus, it's not at all clear to me from the diagrams and photos I've seen that it does anything to protect from rocks getting through the lower three grills. It seems to be there to stop rocks that get past the kidney grills.

The wire mesh looks like it will do the job well enough, but I need to figure out exactly how to mount it on the grills.

Last edited by albertw; 04-15-2023 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:55 PM   #25
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 218i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
I already looked into having the rock guard installed. The local dealer claims the entire radiator mount has to be replaced provide the attachment for the guard. Total cost including installation was $1500 - 2000 (I forget the exact number). Plus, it's not at all clear to me from the diagrams and photos I've seen that it does anything to protect from rocks getting through the lower three grills. It seems to be there to stop rocks that get past the kidney grills.

The wire mesh looks like it will do the job well enough, but I need to figure out exactly how to mount it on the grills.
Wow I didn’t realise it’ll be that much work just to install a rock guard and the labour costs. But yeah wire mesh is the best idea now I’m thinking of it definitely in black so it’s less visible.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 02:04 PM   #26
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
I just got some mesh and removed a top grill to plan how to do this. There seem to be several ways of zip-tying the mesh to the grill. Since your installation has held up well, could you describe exactly where you ran the zip-ties?

I'm leaning towards drilling holes in the vertical bars, but perhaps there is a better way.
For the kidney grilles there are tabs in the bumper that the grilles clip into, I used the holes in those tabs to hold the mesh as a flat piece against the back of the griiles. For the lower sections it is a bit more complicated, I sort of formed the mesh around the edges of the centre and left/right grilles (after removing them) and held it in place by tucking into the grroves they mount in and adding zip ties to any tabs nearby. Unfortunately I haven't any photos from the back, just the completed bumper before refitting. I didn't drill or modify the bumper in any way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-15-2023, 03:30 PM   #27
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
For the kidney grilles there are tabs in the bumper that the grilles clip into, I used the holes in those tabs to hold the mesh as a flat piece against the back of the griiles. For the lower sections it is a bit more complicated, I sort of formed the mesh around the edges of the centre and left/right grilles (after removing them) and held it in place by tucking into the grroves they mount in and adding zip ties to any tabs nearby. Unfortunately I haven't any photos from the back, just the completed bumper before refitting. I didn't drill or modify the bumper in any way.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that possibility. I was looking at drilling holes in the bumper (which would require removing the bumper to attach the zip ties, as does your method), the base of the grill or, as I mentioned, the rear of the vertical bars. The first two possibilities and yours leave a flat mesh with a space between the vertical bars and the mesh. It seems to me that will collect dead bugs and road debris. Do you have much of an issue with that?

I was thinking that pulling the mesh flush with the rear of the vertical bars will minimize that problem but the zip ties and holes will be quite visible.

Last edited by albertw; 04-15-2023 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 06:57 PM   #28
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that possibility. I was looking at drilling holes in the bumper (which would require removing the bumper to attach the zip ties, as does your method), the base of the grill or, as I mentioned, the rear of the vertical bars. The first two possibilities and yours leave a flat mesh with a space between the vertical bars and the mesh. It seems to me that will collect dead bugs and road debris. Do you have much of an issue with that?

I was thinking that pulling the mesh flush with the rear of the vertical bars will minimize that problem but the zip ties and holes will be quite visible.
When you take the bumper off, if you cut the mesh right (I used tin snips, but scissors would work too for the aluminium mesh), it will be close to the back of the bars. If it is tensioned a bit across the width with the zip ties it leaves a slight gap of a few mm, but that is enough to flush any debris down and out the bottom with a hose, I have found. If you place the zip ties in the right place through the grille tabs, it is virtually impossible to see them from any angle looking through the grille.

It is also worth using a marker pen to trace the outline of the bumper mounting bolts before loosening them, it makes it a lot easier when putting it back on to get the alignment right.
Appreciate 2
albertw116.00
      04-29-2023, 08:46 AM   #29
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
Rep
Drives: E30, E36/5, E46x2, F22, F30

I installed mesh in July 2021, 20k miles ago. Pulled off the bumper and removed the air ducts. Cut the mesh slightly larger so it can be folded and then riveted in. I only did the sides for the oil and water coolers, I am not that concerned with the intercooler (middle) or the kidneys.

After all the miles I haven't had any significant accumulation of debris. Looking at the way BMW designed the ducts, they weren't concerned about it either.

Last edited by celsdogg; 04-29-2023 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
albertw116.00