THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning creaking/ light squeak when accelerating

08-11-2021, 03:47 AM   #1
Awn
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

creaking/ light squeak when accelerating

Greetings members,

I would like to share an issue i encountered few days ago, there is a creaking/squeaking noise is present and louder when accelerating but goes away when deaccelerating and car is rolling. When car is at stationary and revving the noise does not come up.
Car is m235 2015 has 131000KM on dash, Auto zf8. This is the first time i encounter with this issue.

i am not able to locate where the noise coming from, if im sitting in the left seat driving i hear it on the right passenger side, but when i bring my head closer to the dash, somehow it sounds from front and echoing to the right side.

here is a link for a video where you can hear the noise, sounds like birds and chicks whistles.

hope someone can help me here, however, i went and bought new tensioner and belt since it is wabbly, hope this will solve the issue, my other thought could be some other pulley or bearings, or something has to do with the wheel but i doubt it since the noise is only present when accelerating.
      08-15-2021, 02:27 AM   #2
Awn
Saudi Arabia
Rep

UPDATE:
took it to the local garage, they suspected the belt drive and pulleys.
replaced tensioner, idler pulley and belt.
No success.
going to send her in again for more pulleys inspection and perhaps alternator bearing.
      08-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I can't tell from the video.
However, if you want to play around with a diagnostic tool this item in the link may help. There may be better brands so...

https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-0660...a-442442920480

And here is wireless. https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-6063...a-758680743783
Appreciate 1
Awn9.00
      08-15-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
este
N54 to N55
Rep
Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt

Check the emergency brake cable bracket sometimes the plastic bracket breaks and rubs the cable against the driveshaft. Think there's a YouTube video out there about it too.
Appreciate 1
Awn9.00
      08-16-2021, 02:21 AM   #5
Awn
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Im not sure if it has something to do with this, but will definitely look into that. Since the creaking/squeaky metal noise only goes off when gas is pressed and once foot is left of the gas pedal it goes silent.
lets say when i lift off my foot from the gas pedal at speed 120km/h and let the car roll down to zero the noise is NOT present at all unless i touch back the gas pedal and give it the slightest throttle the noise is back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by este View Post
Check the emergency brake cable bracket sometimes the plastic bracket breaks and rubs the cable against the driveshaft. Think there's a YouTube video out there about it too.
      08-16-2021, 02:22 AM   #6
Awn
Saudi Arabia
Rep

thanks for the tip, the local workshop should have them i guess, probably will utilize in the next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
I can't tell from the video.
However, if you want to play around with a diagnostic tool this item in the link may help. There may be better brands so...

https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-0660...a-442442920480

And here is wireless. https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-6063...a-758680743783
      08-21-2021, 01:28 AM   #7
Awn
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Update.
_____

took it in again to inspect the noise, on the way to the garage was present, sharp and annoying, when i arrived to the workshop, this time the mechanic drives and i am sitting in the passenger seat, and surprisingly no squeak or what so ever! we drove for 20 mins, it came in a very low pitch for few seconds then gone, but luckily the mechanic noticed it so but hardly.
Mechanic update was the brake discs or something has to do with brakes, he recommended to change front discs and pad, but i skipped because they are not on due yet.
However, leaving the workshop alone and the squeaking comes back again.

Now i am suspecting the passenger seat, it is so possible because i usually drive solo in the car, weekends with a friend, so gona take her out today with a passenger and observe again.

If lets say it is the seat, what can i do to fix it? tighten? lube?
      08-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

if it is the passenger seat just test by having the car stationary and engine off and compressing the seat bottom.

Also when checking for a hard to find squeak, take everything out of the car, check under the seats for anything loose, remove floor mats, clear out the center console and glove compartment, empty out the trunk. Then drive car and test.
Then with car in PARK and engine off compress the four corners of the car individually (listening for squeaks) with the emergency brake on the next four corners with the emergency brake off.
Appreciate 1
Awn9.00
      09-06-2021, 01:31 AM   #9
Awn
Saudi Arabia
Rep

UPDATE.

It is not the passenger seat and no fix is figured out yet
      11-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #10
bulletkip
Rep
Drives: M235I

it's the emergency brake lines. had the exact same issue. you need to either wedge something in between the line and the car, or do the zip tie method like this

youtube(dot)com/watch?v=tEN5NIgDrrE
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 01:00 PM   #11
tadmcmichael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I heard the same God awful noise and climbed under the car to see what it was. We can actually see the clip in our cars with no disassembly whereas it’s covered in the 3 series.

Another option is the AGA Park Cable Clip instead to fix it permanently. Expensive, but probably worth it. Zip tying under the center console would probably fix for a while, but think it would ultimately sag again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8qvIS7vMM
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 07:51 AM   #12
tadmcmichael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I did the AGA clip install. I didn’t drop the exhaust or the center driveshaft. Instead, just dropped the heat shield and slid it forward. Here is a before and after pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0