THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2015 M235i blown engine at 48k miles

07-01-2021, 07:21 AM   #1
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

2015 M235i blown engine at 48k miles

So the m235i I bought from Carvana last month has finally been diagnosed, and needs a new engine, bmw found a strange tune on the ecu and metal shaving in the oil. With car prices still going up I'm almost inclined to having them drop a remanufactured engine from bmw in my car since I got it at a good price and rest of the car is clean( sounds crazy I know). Does anyone know where the reman engines come from and how many miles on them in general, thanks, and opinions appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 07:46 AM   #2
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Wow, that's a lot of labor either way. It might make sense to pull the engine and find out just how damaged it is. Also the existing engine has value, more if you know just what it needs.
Appreciate 1
F22leo245.00
      07-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #3
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
Wow, that's a lot of labor either way. It might make sense to pull the engine and find out just how damaged it is. Also the existing engine has value, more if you know just what it needs.
Bmw made it clear that engine to them is toast, and the only remedy is putting an entirely new engine in the car. Which if it's all done correctly wouldn't hurt to get free remanufactured engine put in a otherwise very clean car
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The engine was likely on the way out when you bought it from Carvana thus the reason the prior owner sold it. I would be dealing with Carvana right now explaining to them that they sold you an illegally tuned car that does not meet emissions and you have the proof directly from the manufacturer that the car was tuned.

Carvana has two options before you take possible legal action:

1) Purchase and install a new motor.

2) Buy the car back minus the prorated cost of you using the vehicle for a month or so; say $1,000.
F22leo245.00
spidy512502.00
bcwalks2280.50
      07-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
peteyrx7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 and 2021 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The engine was likely on the way out when you bought it from Carvana thus the reason the prior owner sold it. I would be dealing with Carvana right now explaining to them that they sold you an illegally tuned car that does not meet emissions and you have the proof directly from the manufacturer that the car was tuned.

2) Buy the car back minus the prorated cost of you using the vehicle for a month or so; say $1,000.
Probably right on the previous owner. OP will be made whole, Carvana isn't fly by night.

If the previous owner didn't disclose the mods and problems they're likely to be sued by Carvana when the dust settles.

Since this thread is an example of what can happen to modded cars, no offense to those who do, but I don't get why some people feel entitled to a warranty when they've modified their cars.

BMW spends billions on R&D. If a simple flash would make their cars "better" then BMW would be delivering them that way new. No shoestring budget tune shop has the resources to improve what BMW built if the goal is to balance performance, reliability, and economy while adhering to local regulations.

If you want a reliable car for the long haul then let it operate under the tolerances that the manufacturer built it to withstand. If you take it out of those tolerances then the manufacturer isn't liable for any damage. Seems logical enough but it appears to be an outlier view. Am I crazy?
Appreciate 7
MLJR235116.50
F22leo245.00
bobkat09153.00
p912guy372.50
spidy512502.00
      07-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyrx7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

Probably right on the previous owner. OP will be made whole, Carvana isn't fly by night.

If the previous owner didn't disclose the mods and problems they're likely to be sued by Carvana when the dust settles.

Since this thread is an example of what can happen to modded cars, no offense to those who do, but I don't get why some people feel entitled to a warranty when they've modified their cars.

BMW spends billions on R&D. If a simple flash would make their cars "better" then BMW would be delivering them that way new. No shoestring budget tune shop has the resources to improve what BMW built if the goal is to balance performance, reliability, and economy while adhering to local regulations.

If you want a reliable car for the long haul then let it operate under the tolerances that the manufacturer built it to withstand. If you take it out of those tolerances then the manufacturer isn't liable for any damage. Seems logical enough but it appears to be an outlier view. Am I crazy?
You make a lot of good points, this is why I would probably opt to keep the car with a remanufactured engine put in it, because so many of these cars are abused and tuned improperly, Without knowing the previous owner or buying a certified pre owned it's impossible to say how the car was treated. Getting a new engine in it would give me a good baseline and good, peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
spidy512502.00
      07-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #7
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyrx7 View Post

You hit the nail on the head.

In this case, OP did NOT have knowledge of said tuning nor did he partake in the tuning himself (that's what I have taken from this thread) . He is, in my opinion, entitled to compensation because he was never informed beforehand and bought the car on-premise it was completely stock and unaltered.

Bad things can happen to both stock and modded cars. The lack of personal responsibility when things go bad is beyond me. I have modified every single car I have owned, yet would never expect a free ride on coverage for something I knowingly knew carried a risk such as tuning for hp/tq increase.

As you have said, that sort of thinking is almost extinct not only within the car community but in life in general. The amount of frivolous lawsuits is incredible. Sometimes I just sit back and think, "what the fck are these people thinking", then I remember there is $$ that can be made on some loophole crap so I suppose those sorts of things will never really end .."Mcdonalds made me fat" anyone?
      07-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #8
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJR235 View Post
You hit the nail on the head.

In this case, OP did NOT have knowledge of said tuning nor did he partake in the tuning himself (that's what I have taken from this thread) . He is, in my opinion, entitled to compensation because he was never informed beforehand and bought the car on-premise it was completely stock and unaltered.

Bad things can happen to both stock and modded cars. The lack of personal responsibility when things go bad is beyond me. I have modified every single car I have owned, yet would never expect a free ride on coverage for something I knowingly knew carried a risk such as tuning for hp/tq increase.

As you have said, that sort of thinking is almost extinct not only within the car community but in life in general. The amount of frivolous lawsuits is incredible. Sometimes I just sit back and think, "what the fck are these people thinking", then I remember there is $$ that can be made on some loophole crap so I suppose those sorts of things will never really end .."Mcdonalds made me fat" anyone?
The era of personnel responsibility dies out a long time ago.
Appreciate 3
F22leo245.00
spidy512502.00