THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

05-04-2021, 07:33 AM   #2839
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I got this off of my facebook group for retired coppers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
cmyx6go15560.00
Lady Jane68864.00
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Buug95916829.00
paquet629.50
essejM360.50
mahalom3163.00
      05-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #2840
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I got this off of my facebook group for retired coppers.
Attachment 2595798

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      05-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #2841
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Lol! That picture is from about 5 years ago when a buddy of mine was in the CHP academy. Ohhhh the shenanigans.
and I never imagined you swung that way! (Not that there's anything wrong with it...!)
Your attempt at being funny failed.

I made fun of him because his academy mate(s) got him into trouble for sneaking candy into their room. That picture was basically him calling me a dick. So in turn, I used it on you..... Get it?!?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
And that is the problem I have with poorly written laws and over-eager cops. Those cops aren't enforcing a law to Protect and Serve. They are enforcing a law, which may or may not apply depending on the nuance, articulation, circumstances and other legal standings, to make a point or to use that as an excuse to fish/search for more information/evidence. Or because the cop had his feelings hurt from "the person is being an ass."

There should not be a gray area in the law. And cops shouldn't be required to interpret the law based on nuance to figure out if a law has been broken. If there is a gray area, the law should default to the citizen's side, not the cop's side. Sort of a "tie goes to the runner" deal.
I hope this didn't slip by anyone.
How would it slip by anyone? We had a few lengthy exchanges.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #2842
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:

I made fun of him because his academy mate(s) got him into trouble for sneaking candy into their room. That picture was basically him calling me a dick. So in turn, I used it on you..... Get it?!?

Hi Grumpy!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #2843
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Grumpy!
<waves>

I would still shake your hand if I met you.
Appreciate 3
BMWGUYinCO4046.00
Littlebear3508.50
Murf99314114.00
      05-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #2844
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
I hope this didn't slip by anyone.
I hope it didn't slip by that in 99.9% of police interactions that is the case. There is a mutual respect and its cordial. Add in mental illness, drug addict, or high profile criminal, resisting arrest, and many times armed, that goes out the window. No tie to runner or nuanced gray area of law, trying to get home to family alive. (lets throw out like 3 obviously not great officers for this very big picture thought)

We either train and pay officers way more to become social workers, psychologists, and drug counselors, they continue to do the best they can under current set up and pay, or they stop engaging (Baltimore).

Not going to engage more on an "Ask an officer" thread, its not tell me your opinion on societies thread, plus pointless. Cheers

Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
essejM360.50
mahalom3163.00
      05-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #2845
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
<waves>

I would still shake your hand if I met you.
I would accept, and ask for an arm wrestle.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
TiMSport12786.50
      05-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #2846
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Not going to engage more on an "Ask an officer" thread, its not tell me your opinion on societies thread, plus pointless. Cheers

This is a discussion forum. We are discussing law enforcement topics, mostly cordially.

Your statement of "not going to engage more on an "Ask an officer" thread" is the internet equivalent of "I'm taking my ball and going home."
Appreciate 2
Buug95916829.00
TiMSport12786.50
      05-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #2847
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Oh sorry following mantra of other threads, like the Covid vaccine its only a thread for Covid Shots and not "discussion", like this is only thread for "Ask the Police"

Similar type discussions were deleted from politics side for a reason, not saying I agree or not, and I'm sure the thread will be fine w/o my ball.

I'm leaving with my balls lol

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 05-04-2021 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #2848
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

:
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #2849
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I don't know if it was posted yet, but today is the funeral for an NYPD highway officer who was killed while on duty last week. He was on the Long Island Expressway, directing traffic off the closed highway after midnight while other officers investigated a single-vehicle accident with one passenger DOA and the driver DUI. A woman, who was also DUI, ran over him. Left behind a widow and two young kids.

The "Tunnels to Towers Foundation" (9/11 emergency responder charity) has pledged to pay off his mortgage for the family.....
Littlebear3508.50
upstatedoc7555.50
rebekahb3128.50
cmyx6go15560.00
Murf99314114.00
      05-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #2850
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I don't know if it was posted yet, but today is the funeral for an NYPD highway officer who was killed while on duty last week. He was on the Long Island Expressway, directing traffic off the closed highway after midnight while other officers investigated a single-vehicle accident with one passenger DOA and the driver DUI. A woman, who was also DUI, ran over him. Left behind a widow and two young kids.

The "Tunnels to Towers Foundation" (9/11 emergency responder charity) has pledged to pay off his mortgage for the family.....
A very worthy charity to donate to
Appreciate 5
Littlebear3508.50
cmyx6go15560.00
vreihen1614882.00
Murf99314114.00
      05-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #2851
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post

I'm leaving with my balls lol
You sound pretty sure of that. But...did you ask for them back very nicely from your wife yet? Cause if not, you're leaving the same way you came in...
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Murf99314114.00
      05-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #2852
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
All of our equipment is issue. Ammunition is mandated by the province, so in Ontario all front line people are carrying .40Cal. and every officer in a dept carries the same sidearm. So Toronto and most dept. carry Glock 22, some depts use Sig 229 or S&W and a few were carrying Barretta. I understand that departments are now transitioning to 9mm though.

The thinking that everyone on a dept carries the same pistol is the ability to share mags as well as familiarity/muscle memory if you need to take another officers weapon you will be familiar with it.

And as said earlier, the best pistol/round is one you can hit the target with.

Reminds me of the time I was talking with this young female cop from Ottawa at a local coffee place, while she was in Toronto to cover the G7 - she was nice enough to show me her sidearm and ammo type after asking 'how do you know?' and being satisfied by my answer and non-threatening demeanour.
I like to think I was rather suave (damnit I'm a legend in my own mind) but I imagine she was just humoring me while having done the 'I could take this mf'er down in 10 seconds if I have to' assessment
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go15560.00
Buug95916829.00
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Murf99314114.00
      05-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #2853
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You sound pretty sure of that. But...did you ask for them back very nicely from your wife yet? Cause if not, you're leaving the same way you came in...
awww high schoolers lol...but yes she has them, and keeps them warm, better than the dating thread.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Joekerr7926.00
Murf99314114.00
      05-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #2854
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

So this is no surprise, Lawyers for Derek Chauvin have filled an appeal for a new trial.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...or-new-trial-2

Derek Chauvin, ex-police officer found guilty of murdering George Floyd, seeks new trial
Chauvin's attorney said his client was deprived of a fair trial, adding there was prosecutorial and jury misconduct, errors of law at trial and that the verdict was contrary to the law

Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Brendan O'Brien
Publishing date:May 04, 2021 • 11 hours ago • 2 minute read • \

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin asked a judge on Tuesday for a new trial, court records showed, two weeks after he was found guilty of murder and manslaughter in the killing of George Floyd.

In a series of motions filed to District Court Judge Peter Cahill, attorney Eric Nelson said his client was deprived of a fair trial, adding there was prosecutorial and jury misconduct, errors of law at trial and that the verdict was contrary to the law. Prosecutors did not immediately file a response to the motions for a new trial.

On April 20, a 12-member jury found Chauvin, 45, guilty on all three counts he faced after considering three weeks of testimony from 45 witnesses, including bystanders, police officials and medical experts. The charges were second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

The rare verdict against a police officer is considered a milestone in the fraught racial history of the United States and a rebuke of law enforcement’s treatment of Black Americans.

In a confrontation captured on video, Chauvin, a white veteran of the police force, pushed his knee into the neck of Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man in handcuffs, for more than 9 minutes on May 25, 2020. Chauvin and three fellow officers were attempting to arrest Floyd, accused of using a fake $20 bill to buy cigarettes at a grocery store.

Floyd’s death led to protests in the United States and abroad about excessive use of force by police against people of color.

Photo of Chauvin juror wearing BLM T-shirt at march raises doubts over impartiality, experts say
Minneapolis ex-policeman Chauvin found guilty of murder in George Floyd case

Nelson said the court abused its discretion when it did not grant his motion for a change of venue and when it did not sequester the jury. He also said the court abused its discretion when it denied his initial motion for a new trial based on the enormous publicity the trial received, threatening its fairness.

The day before the jury reached its verdict, Cahill harshly criticized U.S. Representative Maxine Waters’ remarks on the case, saying she might have given the defense grounds for appeal in the event of a conviction.

After the jury got the case and was sequestered, President Joe Biden also commented on the trial, saying that he hoped “the verdict is the right verdict.”

Nelson also accused the Minnesota state prosecutors of misconduct when they disparaged the defense and said the court failed his client when it did not force Morries Hall, who was in the car with Floyd when police arrived, to testify.

A photo circulated by several news organizations has also raised questions about the impartiality of one juror, Brandon Mitchell, the Washington Post reported.

The photo shows Mitchell wearing a T-shirt with the words “get your knee off our necks” around a picture of Martin Luther King Jr. Mitchell was also wearing a Black Lives Matter baseball cap.

On Monday, Mitchell defended the photo, telling the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the photo was taken in D.C. in August during the commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech from 1963.

Nelson did not mention Mitchell directly in the court filing on Tuesday, but requested the court to hold a hearing to impeach the verdict based on the grounds that the “jury committed misconduct.”
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
mahalom3163.00
      05-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #2855
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
So this is no surprise, Lawyers for Derek Chauvin have filled an appeal for a new trial.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...or-new-trial-2
[SIZE="4"]
Derek Chauvin, ex-police officer found guilty of murdering George Floyd, seeks new trial
Chauvin's attorney said his client was deprived of a fair trial, adding there was prosecutorial and jury misconduct, errors of law at trial and that the verdict was contrary to the law[/SIZE]

Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Brendan O'Brien
Publishing date:May 04, 2021 • 11 hours ago • 2 minute read • \

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin asked a judge on Tuesday for a new trial, court records showed, two weeks after he was found guilty of murder and manslaughter in the killing of George Floyd.

In a series of motions filed to District Court Judge Peter Cahill, attorney Eric Nelson said his client was deprived of a fair trial, adding there was prosecutorial and jury misconduct, errors of law at trial and that the verdict was contrary to the law. Prosecutors did not immediately file a response to the motions for a new trial.

On April 20, a 12-member jury found Chauvin, 45, guilty on all three counts he faced after considering three weeks of testimony from 45 witnesses, including bystanders, police officials and medical experts. The charges were second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

The rare verdict against a police officer is considered a milestone in the fraught racial history of the United States and a rebuke of law enforcement’s treatment of Black Americans.

In a confrontation captured on video, Chauvin, a white veteran of the police force, pushed his knee into the neck of Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man in handcuffs, for more than 9 minutes on May 25, 2020. Chauvin and three fellow officers were attempting to arrest Floyd, accused of using a fake $20 bill to buy cigarettes at a grocery store.

Floyd’s death led to protests in the United States and abroad about excessive use of force by police against people of color.

Photo of Chauvin juror wearing BLM T-shirt at march raises doubts over impartiality, experts say
Minneapolis ex-policeman Chauvin found guilty of murder in George Floyd case

Nelson said the court abused its discretion when it did not grant his motion for a change of venue and when it did not sequester the jury. He also said the court abused its discretion when it denied his initial motion for a new trial based on the enormous publicity the trial received, threatening its fairness.

The day before the jury reached its verdict, Cahill harshly criticized U.S. Representative Maxine Waters’ remarks on the case, saying she might have given the defense grounds for appeal in the event of a conviction.

After the jury got the case and was sequestered, President Joe Biden also commented on the trial, saying that he hoped “the verdict is the right verdict.”

Nelson also accused the Minnesota state prosecutors of misconduct when they disparaged the defense and said the court failed his client when it did not force Morries Hall, who was in the car with Floyd when police arrived, to testify.

A photo circulated by several news organizations has also raised questions about the impartiality of one juror, Brandon Mitchell, the Washington Post reported.

The photo shows Mitchell wearing a T-shirt with the words “get your knee off our necks” around a picture of Martin Luther King Jr. Mitchell was also wearing a Black Lives Matter baseball cap.

On Monday, Mitchell defended the photo, telling the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the photo was taken in D.C. in August during the commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech from 1963.

Nelson did not mention Mitchell directly in the court filing on Tuesday, but requested the court to hold a hearing to impeach the verdict based on the grounds that the “jury committed misconduct.”
Between Waters' comment, the pig-head on the front lawn of the juror and this juror misconduct, I think there's cause for the retrial.
Appreciate 2
mahalom3163.00
Murf99314114.00
      05-05-2021, 09:20 AM   #2856
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I always thought I was being a "law-abiding citizen" if I had an adult beverage in my hands, but needed to go to the mailbox or greet an arriving guest. As I approach what would essentially be my property line/the sidewalk line (even though *I* had to pour said sidewalk) I would gently place my beverage on the bricks inside my property line, then cross the threshold into public land.

Now you are saying that if I can be seen from public, and imbibing, I'm (TECHNICALLY) in violation? Shit, I set up my BBQ so I can watch the street show while I sip a beverage between flipping steaks.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #2857
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Now you are saying that if I can be seen from public, and imbibing, I'm (TECHNICALLY) in violation? Shit, I set up my BBQ so I can watch the street show while I sip a beverage between flipping steaks.
Move to New Orleans, we are allowed to walk with open containers. Basically see our local patrol officers almost daily walking the dogs with cocktail in hand, walking down the side walk...
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Littlebear3508.50
Murf99314114.00
      05-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #2858
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Move to New Orleans, we are allowed to walk with open containers. Basically see our local patrol officers almost daily walking the dogs with cocktail in hand, walking down the side walk...
Out of curiosity, what are the DUI rates in New Orleans?
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #2859
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what are the DUI rates in New Orleans?
No idea, would have to look that up! We used to have drive through daquiri places for goodness sakes but they finally banned those for obvious reasons...
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Murf99314114.00
      05-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #2860
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
What do you guys (Leo's) Think about the 10 mm as a service SideArm?
My department won't allow us to carry 10mm. I use to carry a 40 but I switched back to 9mm. I now carry the Staccato P as my primary and C as my back up.