THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Filling fluid systems

12-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #1
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Filling fluid systems

Here's how one manufacturer fills brake systems. I think it is similar for cooling systems and probably for all major manufacturers.

1. A fill head is connected to the master cylinder

2. Vacuum is applied to remove all the air

3. If full vacuum is not achieved in the allotted few seconds there is a leak or liquid water is evaporating and repair is needed

4. Brake fluid is pushed into the system and pressure is applied

5. If the correct volume of fluid is not transferred repair is needed

6. If pressure is not held repair is needed

7. Fill head is removed and system is closed

This happens in a couple of minutes by a system that costs million$. Your dealer or mechanic does something less effective.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
Arominus
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i THP, 89 944S2

Yeesh, just get a pressure bleeder and call it a day, yes the factory has a big toy to do it, they need it to be fast and that machine gets amortized over a lot of production cars, but it doesn't have to be done that way.

Whats even the point of this post?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
K.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

That description is incomplete for BMW's, as is (ign)Arominas' suggestion to 'just get a pressure bleeder'. You need to run an ABS sequence to fully bleed and refill the ABS mechanism if you want a complete flush (code is in ISTA, also on a lot of higher end code reader tools). I've also seen supplemental instructions for a kind of limbo dance with the calipers (taken off their mountings and turned about while tapping on them) to make sure to get all the air out, if you are filling them from true empty. But I don't have to worry about all this - the guys down at the AutoZone tell me they already have the multimillion dollar German unit, so I just trust them to do it for me .
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
Rick.Null
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 2 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
That description is incomplete for BMW's, as is (ign)Arominas' suggestion to 'just get a pressure bleeder'. You need to run an ABS sequence to fully bleed and refill the ABS mechanism if you want a complete flush (code is in ISTA, also on a lot of higher end code reader tools). I've also seen supplemental instructions for a kind of limbo dance with the calipers (taken off their mountings and turned about while tapping on them) to make sure to get all the air out, if you are filling them from true empty. But I don't have to worry about all this - the guys down at the AutoZone tell me they already have the multimillion dollar German unit, so I just trust them to do it for me .
Yes! I totally trust Autozone! They are an established brand with tons of stores. I also trust JiffyLube! Excellent value for money. Take that "BMW premium"!

(Okay, shit, I must add I was being sarcastic! Don't cheap out on your Bimmer; it doesn't suit your car haha!
Appreciate 1
Maynard4096.00
      12-31-2020, 06:58 AM   #6
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

I didn't think about the complications of ABS. Also I was thinking about the challenges of filling coolant systems.

And I'm having qualms about fluid changes. Most vehicles go a lifetime without them (oil excepted) without harm.
Appreciate 0