THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Macan S vs M240i?

10-18-2020, 12:05 AM   #1
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Macan S vs M240i?

I know this sounds like an apple to orange comparison, but I am curious how the Macan S (or GTS) compares to the M240i with regard to driving characteristics and such. I may be searching for a unicorn, but it would be great to own a "do everything" vehicle. I value performance, luxury and light utility (hauling bicycles, people & towing small trailers). None of my current vehicles do much more than one of these at any time. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:20 AM   #2
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
I know this sounds like an apple to orange comparison, but I am curious how the Macan S (or GTS) compares to the M240i with regard to driving characteristics and such. I may be searching for a unicorn, but it would be great to own a "do everything" vehicle. I value performance, luxury and light utility (hauling bicycles, people & towing small trailers). None of my current vehicles do much more than one of these at any time. Any thoughts?
Definitely take one for a test drive. Yes it is an SUV, but Porsche managed to instill a lot of their DNA in it to overcome the not so great handling that SUVs are known for. I don't ever plan to ever own an SUV again in my life, but if I was forced to pick one, the Macan S would be the one I'd get. Reviews say the GTS isn't as big of a step up from the S, so unless you can find a screaming deal, I'd just get the S.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      10-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert

Quote:
There's a lot to be loved about the performance of the m240i, but it's really not the most practical car.

The interior isn't really all that luxurious from the factory. I'd even go as far as to say my Mazda CX-5 has a nicer interior. That being said, there is a pretty good aftermarket to make the interior feel more luxurious. It's just going to cost you a few grand to get there. The sound system is pretty bad, regardless if you go with the HK or not.

Hauling people around isn't the best, and it's pretty cramped for anyone sitting in the back. I'm 6' 2" and I doubt I could fit even a small child behind me. Great car for two, not so much for a family imo.

Space in the trunk is actually pretty reasonable if you opt for the coupe.

I haven't personally towed anything with the car, so I can't really comment on that part of your question.

You really are comparing apples to oranges here, and the ideal situation would be an m240i paired with a cheap awd suv(rav4) for those days you need to haul things.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

This is a bad post but I’ll write it anyway

Friend bought two year old Macan gts.
Very good high speed highway performance.

Poor steering, not that roomy, cabin switches old design.

Overall, it’s an Audi and a grocery car for mom’s. That’s what the Porsche sales guy said (serious but joking).

My friend likes the Macan but it isn’t the vehicle that ended his search for a great commuter car.

Last edited by overcoil; 10-18-2020 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

If you want one car that will do everything extremely well you want a Panamera Turismo or if you need more room an RS6 Avant. If too $$$ the Macan S is a decent option. We had one, really liked it. If it's too small for your needs that's a different problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

I am going through this exact situation. I am recently divorced and lost access to the practical car (an X5 50i with DHP) and the even more fun car (718s Boxster). My car is a 2017 240i convertible with the M Performance LSD.

I've driven the X3M, the X3 M40i, the X3 30e, and the Macan S. Reaching for the Macan means ditching the 2 for sure. The 30e might allow keeping both, but I don't relish dealing with and insuring two cars.

The Macan S has beautiful fit and finish, and I really like the look. The size and capacity are just fine for my needs (hauling around a teen and two large dogs.)

Performance was fine.

BUT, there's just no getting over that it's an SUV. And they are simply not as much fun to drive as smaller, nimbler, RWD cars like the 2.

Possibly, I would have been more enamored with it if it had had PTV and PASM. My test car did not. I doubt it, though.

I think the sad reality is you just can't expect the fun car and the practical car to coexist in one unit. And so I'm back to thinking about the two-car cheaper solution.

Next on my agenda is driving the Mazda CX5. That scenario does allow me to keep my 2 and possibly replace it eventually with something even more fun. (New M4 convertible with softop? 6-cylinder 718s?)

A couple of other suggestions of vehicles to test drive:

When BMW gets the kinks out of the plug-in X3 (there is now a battery recall that has no fix), it's a very solid option. It was fun to drive (more so than the Macan, really), and I love the idea of being able to do small errand trips solely on battery power, yet have the ICE for longer vacation hauls. There is currently a great tax incentive on them ($5,600 or so).

The X3M did absolutely nothing for me. Why bother? Buy a real M thing. The X3 M40i is excellent all-arounder, but it gets pretty pricey. For some reason, I just can't get excited about it being my only car.

The last suggestion, if you can tolerate the shoddy assembly and giving up on the ease and convenience of ICEs is the Tesla Model Y. It is very Macan like in size and practicality, and it is FUN to drive. Driving it will haunt you. It is so different. But, it feels sporty, composed, and very Germanic in its handling. The ready power is intoxicating. And you don't need the performance model to access all of that. It is much cheaper than the Macan.

Oh, another, last suggestion, which I've been toying with: Wait for the next M3 in AWD. Skip the carbon roof and get roof rails and a rooftop box. Possibly an aftermarket hitch as well.

Edit: Just saw about towing. The Porsche has the best towing specs. The Y has a hitch option, and the X3 models as well.)
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.

Last edited by wdc330i; 10-18-2020 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Track-prepped Miata (or a Cayman), towed by an F-150?
Appreciate 1
msendit419.50
      10-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

the ideal would be "and" and not "or"
      10-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
swc5150
Private
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo

My brother just bought a new Macan S, and it's really nice of course. Drives like a small SUV, not that it's a bad thing, it's just nothing like the m240 as far as being a nimble little car. If you can only own 1 car and need the space, it may be a great choice, but it's still pretty tiny inside. I'd definitely test out an X3 M40i before making a final decision.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I am going through this exact situation. I am recently divorced and lost access to the practical car (an X5 50i with DHP) and the even more fun car (718s Boxster). My car is a 2017 240i convertible with the M Performance LSD.

I've driven the X3M, the X3 M40i, the X3 30e, and the Macan S. Reaching for the Macan means ditching the 2 for sure. The 30e might allow keeping both, but I don't relish dealing with and insuring two cars.

The Macan S has beautiful fit and finish, and I really like the look. The size and capacity are just fine for my needs (hauling around a teen and two large dogs.)

Performance was fine.

BUT, there's just no getting over that it's an SUV. And they are simply not as much fun to drive as smaller, nimbler, RWD cars like the 2.

Possibly, I would have been more enamored with it if it had had PTV and PASM. My test car did not. I doubt it, though.

I think the sad reality is you just can't expect the fun car and the practical car to coexist in one unit. And so I'm back to thinking about the two-car cheaper solution.

Next on my agenda is driving the Mazda CX5. That scenario does allow me to keep my 2 and possibly replace it eventually with something even more fun. (New M4 convertible with softop? 6-cylinder 718s?)

A couple of other suggestions of vehicles to test drive:

When BMW gets the kinks out of the plug-in X3 (there is now a battery recall that has no fix), it's a very solid option. It was fun to drive (more so than the Macan, really), and I love the idea of being able to do small errand trips solely on battery power, yet have the ICE for longer vacation hauls. There is currently a great tax incentive on them ($5,600 or so).

The X3M did absolutely nothing for me. Why bother? Buy a real M thing. The X3 M40i is excellent all-arounder, but it gets pretty pricey. For some reason, I just can't get excited about it being my only car.

The last suggestion, if you can tolerate the shoddy assembly and giving up on the ease and convenience of ICEs is the Tesla Model Y. It is very Macan like in size and practicality, and it is FUN to drive. Driving it will haunt you. It is so different. But, it feels sporty, composed, and very Germanic in its handling. The ready power is intoxicating. And you don't need the performance model to access all of that. It is much cheaper than the Macan.

Oh, another, last suggestion, which I've been toying with: Wait for the next M3 in AWD. Skip the carbon roof and get roof rails and a rooftop box. Possibly an aftermarket hitch as well.

Edit: Just saw about towing. The Porsche has the best towing specs. The Y has a hitch option, and the X3 models as well.)
I'm just going to forewarn you about the CX-5. Ive had to have a fuel pump replaced 3 times before 60k miles. Highly recommend going with a rav4 instead.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      10-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I'm just going to forewarn you about the CX-5. Ive had to have a fuel pump replaced 3 times before 60k miles. Highly recommend going with a rav4 instead.
Wow. Hadn't heard of issues with that model. Thanks for the heads-up. What year is yours?
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
Wow. Hadn't heard of issues with that model. Thanks for the heads-up. What year is yours?
2017 gt awd.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
One is an SUV, the other a small coupe. There is a big difference in ride height which nothing can overcome. So, if you don't mind sitting on top of the world, then the Macan is fine. Me, not so much. I like it down on the ground. Or buy both. There is no way to split the baby on this one.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #14
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Macan is pretty small and has old interior. I would pick Cayenne or maybe Panamera
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #15
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Macan is pretty small and has old interior. I would pick Cayenne or maybe Panamera
Small is good. Otherwise, I'd consider a Tahoe.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3615.00
      10-25-2020, 09:42 PM   #16
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Small is good. Otherwise, I'd consider a Tahoe.
Whats the point of SUV when it has less space then sedan? Panamera would handle better than Macan and would be closer in comparison to 240i

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 10-26-2020 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:30 PM   #17
perryair
late registration
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 m240i

im sure that a macan s is a wonderful car, the journo's love it. thing is that you're not only comparing something thats a different vehicle class but also 33% more expensive in base guise than the other. a base macan s is even more expensive than a base m2, in which case youre trading in the extra two doors and usability for 50 more horsepower. that would be a hard trade off but if you didn't *need* the second seats id probably still roll with an m2.
      10-27-2020, 01:46 AM   #18
RunsWithScissors
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport F25

A buddy of mine had the brilliant idea that he was going to tow his trailered dirt racer with his 335d M-Sport. His racer was a tube framed chassis, total tow weight including aluminum trailer was probably around 2000 lbs and his 335d was fully capable of pulling the weight.

But little did he know the problems he would have to go through. I told him don't do it, but he did it anyways. He pulled off his bumper cover and bumper support, cut a hole in his rear diffuser, mounted the hitch and then found out his receiver was too low to connect to the trailer tongue set to it's lowest setting.

So what did he do? He cut of the tongue of his trailer and rewelded it 4 inches lower to match with his trailer hitch.

Then he went about the task of wiring his car for the trailer's running lights, brake lights, and electronic brake controls. After blowing fuse after fuse, he realized he needed to add relays to get everything to work. It took a couple of days to get everything to work right, at least so he thought.

He heads out to Mojave with his racer and half way through his journey, his dashboard lights up like Christmas tree. Since he's in the middle of the desert, he continues on, hoping that he can do repairs when he arrives at his destination. He doesn't make it. His makeshift wiring overheats and starts sparking up inside his car interior. He has to shut it down.

He ends up paying 2 tow bills to get his vehicles home - one tow bill for his car, the other tow bill for his racer.

Motto of the story: Don't tow with a vehicle not designed for towing. If you're going to tow, get a vehicle intended for towing and equipped with a towing package (OEM hitch with electrical connection outlets).

That rules out the M240i and possibly the Macan S. Porsche offers a trailer hitch, but not a towing package with the Macan. If you need lights or brake controls for your trailer, you will be doing non-Porsche approved modifications to make it work.
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #19
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by asawadude View Post
A buddy of mine had the brilliant idea that he was going to tow his trailered dirt racer with his 335d M-Sport. His racer was a tube framed chassis, total tow weight including aluminum trailer was probably around 2000 lbs and his 335d was fully capable of pulling the weight.

But little did he know the problems he would have to go through. I told him don't do it, but he did it anyways. He pulled off his bumper cover and bumper support, cut a hole in his rear diffuser, mounted the hitch and then found out his receiver was too low to connect to the trailer tongue set to it's lowest setting.

So what did he do? He cut of the tongue of his trailer and rewelded it 4 inches lower to match with his trailer hitch.

Then he went about the task of wiring his car for the trailer's running lights, brake lights, and electronic brake controls. After blowing fuse after fuse, he realized he needed to add relays to get everything to work. It took a couple of days to get everything to work right, at least so he thought.

He heads out to Mojave with his racer and half way through his journey, his dashboard lights up like Christmas tree. Since he's in the middle of the desert, he continues on, hoping that he can do repairs when he arrives at his destination. He doesn't make it. His makeshift wiring overheats and starts sparking up inside his car interior. He has to shut it down.

He ends up paying 2 tow bills to get his vehicles home - one tow bill for his car, the other tow bill for his racer.

Motto of the story: Don't tow with a vehicle not designed for towing. If you're going to tow, get a vehicle intended for towing and equipped with a towing package (OEM hitch with electrical connection outlets).

That rules out the M240i and possibly the Macan S. Porsche offers a trailer hitch, but not a towing package with the Macan. If you need lights or brake controls for your trailer, you will be doing non-Porsche approved modifications to make it work.
The 335d is used as a capable tow vehicle by many people in Europe, rated to tow 1,800kg (4,000lb). It just requires someone competent to fit the hitch and wiring. The 2-series is rated to tow up to 1,500kg in some markets..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #20
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The 335d is used as a capable tow vehicle by many people in Europe, rated to tow 1,800kg (4,000lb). It just requires someone competent to fit the hitch and wiring. The 2-series is rated to tow up to 1,500kg in some markets..
I always see Europeans towing with what look like regular ass cars to me. I may just be a weenie, but that seems like it would be the opposite of fun. I've towed my race car a couple of times with a GMC Savana with a nice, powerful LS based engine and even that's scary as hell. And honestly, the thought of any unibody towing something makes me cringe a little bit.

Again though, i may be a weenie. I'm entirely open to this possibility.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #21
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I always see Europeans towing with what look like regular ass cars to me. I may just be a weenie, but that seems like it would be the opposite of fun. I've towed my race car a couple of times with a GMC Savana with a nice, powerful LS based engine and even that's scary as hell. And honestly, the thought of any unibody towing something makes me cringe a little bit.

Again though, i may be a weenie. I'm entirely open to this possibility.
My father used to tow a 2,500lb trailer through the Alps with a 150bhp Nissan Primera (similar to the old Infiniti G20) with a manual transmission, never had any issues, although it was slow climbing some of the passes, but still faster than the transport trucks.

Most European countries restrict vehicles to the same speed as trucks when towing anyway, which is usually 90km/h, 100km/h or 60mph. With a properly setup hydraulic inertia brake system and anti-sway dampers, there is never any problem with stability when towing a trailer up to the unladen weight of the tow vehicle.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #22
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
My father used to tow a 2,500lb trailer through the Alps with a 150bhp Nissan Primera (similar to the old Infiniti G20) with a manual transmission, never had any issues, although it was slow climbing some of the passes, but still faster than the transport trucks.

Most European countries restrict vehicles to the same speed as trucks when towing anyway, which is usually 90km/h, 100km/h or 60mph. With a properly setup hydraulic inertia brake system and anti-sway dampers, there is never any problem with stability when towing a trailer up to the unladen weight of the tow vehicle.
Yeah, my experience is also colored by living close to mountains, climbing them is one thing, but its coming back down? that's the scary part. Having a manual would actually really help there I feel like.
Appreciate 0