THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Wheel and Tire Spec for M240i Order

09-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post

There is just too much to give up with winter tire for 90% of the winter months.
Amen to that. I keep a set of AutoSocks in my trunk in the winter as well. I've never had to use them on my M235 (driven in 4 Kansas City winters), but with my prior RWD G35 on all seasons, they were flat out amazing in 4" of snow, up hill. Way more snow traction than my Alpins have. Getting them on is a bit of a pain and you can only drive on snowy packed surfaces, but they're really only designed for emergency situations which are far and few between in Kansas City.

I laugh at myself and my winter driving "pussification" when I think back to my 5 years of living in Lawrence, KS which has steep hills throughout and I was driving my 1994 Z28 in the snow with 255 width all seasons. I never got stuck. Kitty litter helped me get around when I couldn't quite get going on a hill. My roommate had a 1990 LX 5.0 Stang on all seasons and we called it Snow Cat. It never got stuck and went places it shouldn't.
      09-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #24
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltexan View Post
I responded to a post on a different thread but thought I might ask here too. I'm currently trying to spec an order for a new M240i and wrestling with wheel and tire selection.

My concern is I live in North Texas. While those not from here might think of all of Texas as hot and dry, it's not. Spring in particular is wet here. VERY WET. We get our share of thunderstorm driven heavy rain at other times of the year too. And our winters here are short but get cold. I'm not worried about sleet and ice since I won't be driving when we get sleet and ice (real snow is rare in DFW, sleet and ice more common).

But a typical DFW winter will have a week or two of temperatures that barely get above freezing, let alone 40F. Not much precip (unless it's icy in which case I won't take the car out), but cold.

I hate to give up some of the performance of my new car by opting for all weather tires but am I going to have to in order to have decent traction and hydroplaning resistance in extremely rainy Texas spring weather?
When I ordered mine I have intentions of ordering the Perform Summer tires

My sales mgr asked me if I plan to autocross, track the car, drag race it or push the car to it's extremes. I said probably not. He said get the all seasons, the car will still be a rocket, it will handle better in the rain (which get plenty of in Florida) and you'll likely get 3 times the mileage of the Perf tires.

I took his recommendation and do not regret it one bit. The car handles great, is fast as hell and I don't have to worry about what weather I happen to encounter. I acknowledge I do not have the driving ability to get the maximum out of the car regardless if it's equipped with AS or Perf tires.

If you fancy yourself a speed racer and track or competitively race your car, get the perf tires and buy an extra set of wheels and all season tires. Ideally you shouldn't be running the stock wheels anyway if you are concerned about performance as they are boat anchors. Get the best perf tires and the lightest wheels you can afford. Put the all seasons on the stock wheels for the cold weather days.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
When I ordered mine I have intentions of ordering the Perform Summer tires

My sales mgr asked me if I plan to autocross, track the car, drag race it or push the car to it's extremes. I said probably not. He said get the all seasons, the car will still be a rocket, it will handle better in the rain (which get plenty of in Florida) and you'll likely get 3 times the mileage of the Perf tires.

I took his recommendation and do not regret it one bit. The car handles great, is fast as hell and I don't have to worry about what weather I happen to encounter. I acknowledge I do not have the driving ability to get the maximum out of the car regardless if it's equipped with AS or Perf tires.

If you fancy yourself a speed racer and track or competitively race your car, get the perf tires and buy an extra set of wheels and all season tires. Ideally you shouldn't be running the stock wheels anyway if you are concerned about performance as they are boat anchors. Get the best perf tires and the lightest wheels you can afford. Put the all seasons on the stock wheels for the cold weather days.
But then you're stuck with narrower tires and rims. Even worse, they're ill-performing all season runflats that have a big tendency to suffer from blow outs. Which is rather ironic considering they're runflats. You rarely hear of non-runflats blowing out on this forum or the 3/4 series forum.
      09-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #26
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
But then you're stuck with narrower tires and rims. Even worse, they're ill-performing all season runflats that have a big tendency to suffer from blow outs. Which is rather ironic considering they're runflats. You rarely hear of non-runflats blowing out on this forum or the 3/4 series forum.
Then, by all means, get the staggered summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #27
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Not sure if this matters ... but if you order with the all season tires the speed of the car will forever be limited to 130 rather than 150 (155?) if you ordered it with the summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #28
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I'm in Seattle and it's wet 6+ months a year here. UHP Summer tires are better than A/S tires in both dry and wet conditions in every handling situation, other than in road conditions with snow/ice.

Many people misunderstand what A/S tires are for. A/S tires are not superior to Summer tires in wet conditions, it's quite the opposite. The only reason for A/S tires if if you frequently see below 40F temps. A/S tires are purely a compromise that allow someone that doesn't want to have two sets of wheels/tires to drive in a safe manner in snow/icy conditions but winter/snow tires would be better suited for those conditions.

I prefer to have Summer tires year round and if it's well below 40 then I'll wait till weather improves before driving.
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma517.00
      09-11-2019, 11:02 PM   #29
darkshard
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 535xi, 240i

Anybody have a good snow tire recommendation ?

Last edited by darkshard; 09-12-2019 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #30
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshard View Post
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #31
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I'm a fan of my Pirelli Winter Sottozero S3

definitely a relatively snow-biased performance tyre (e.g. compared to the more performance-oriented Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie-II). But I'd concede that for the worst snow conditions there are probably better choices, like the Nokian above.

What is particularly good about the S2 is the resistance to hydroplaning - much better than any other winter I've had. But probably no surprise, given the obviously high proportion of contact patch that is carrying deep drainage channels. Yes, this at the cost of dry handling but terrific in heavy rain and standing water.
      09-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #32
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Not sure if this matters ... but if you order with the all season tires the speed of the car will forever be limited to 130 rather than 150 (155?) if you ordered it with the summer tires.
Bootmod3 solves the limiter problem
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #33
sandrik93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i RWD

Quote:
That's for sure. I have a 230i with 225 runflats and about to change rear wheels and go staggered MPSS. These Pirelli all-seasons are mediocre. And not even that good in rain. I've slid a few times going 20mph
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #34
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrik93 View Post
Bootmod3 solves the limiter problem
Yes, I'd heard that's the only way to change, but it also solves the having a warranty problem as well so think I'll hold off on that for now haha. Maybe it's a good thing I'm limited to 130 anyway ...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #35
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshard View Post
From tirerack.com

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #36
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Honestly, I do not mind the square set up or the fact that my top speed is limited to 130. I never planned on going any faster than 129MPH with the car anyway.

I had planned on getting a square set of OZ Ultraleggera rims and the lightest set of tires I could to eliminate as much unstrung weight as possible. I did this with my Mini Cooper S and it made a noticeable improvement in performance and handling. Square set up allows for a tire rotation if you are so inclined.

After living with the M240i for a while, adding another set of wheels and tires to a car that I never race or track seemed like a waste of money since the car is so quick as is. With a tune, the car is a beast and can quickly become a handful if you're not careful.

It is very easy to get caught up in "on paper performance and specifications". I see this continually on other forums. No amount of HP is ever enough even though many cars cannot adequately use the HP they have. For most of us, the extremes these specifications represent we will never actually realize as long as we own the car.

Originally I did not realize that going AS affected my Top speed or squared the wheels and tires. I was upset thinking somehow my car was going to be less than others. The actual difference in rear tire size can only be determined if you lay down with a tape measure and look for the less than 1 inch difference. You will never be able to tell otherwise. The top speed difference is pretty much "moot", even if you drag race the car. If you race or track the car and have the room to see speeds over 130MPH, then for sure, you'll want the staggered set up. Otherwise the difference is only forum of coffee shop talk.

Oh, forgot to mention the piece of mind having a RF tire that can get you to a service station in the event you pick up a nail. I have a very bad back so using a plug/slime kit or changing a tire on the roadside is out of the question for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #37
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:

The actual difference in rear tire size can only be determined if you lay down with a tape measure and look for the less than 1 inch difference. You will never be able to tell otherwise.
There's a HUGE difference in visual width and presence. A 225/40R18 P7 has a section width of 9.1" and a tread width of a mere 6.0". The P7s really roll inwards a lot from the section edge to tread edge. In comparison, a 225/40R18 Michelin Pilot 4S has a section width of 9.1" and a tread width of 7.7". The 245/35R18 Michelin Pilot 4S has a section width of 9.8" and a tread width of 8.4". Simply put, a 2 series on the staggered summer tire setup has a lot more lateral grip and the tires are MUCH blockier and fill out the wheel wells much better.

There's a M235 that parks next to me at work. It has the 225/40R18 square P7 setup. I run a square 245/35R18 Michelin Pilot 4S setup. That car looks like it's on it's tip toes in comparison to the setup I have.

Quote:
Oh, forgot to mention the piece of mind having a RF tire that can get you to a service station in the event you pick up a nail. I have a very bad back so using a plug/slime kit or changing a tire on the roadside is out of the question for me.
I get that, but in my 30 years of driving, I've never had a nail cause a significant air leak to the point that I couldn't drive on it to a safe place to repair it. I carry a compact $25 scissor jack and a $10 plug kit. I can remove a nail, clean the hole, and insert a plug in 30 minutes or less.

Runflats have a very bad reputation on this site for blowing out when hitting big potholes. The ultra stiff sidewalls simply don't do well when hitting sharp pavement cuts. You don't hear about that issue with those running standard tires other than some noting they got a sidewall bubble when hitting a big pothole. What good does a runflat do you if it has a large tendency to blow out
      09-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #38
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I ordered mine with the AS tires because the dealer said the sport were not available. Swapping out to new wheels / tires was the one change I made to the car. I found the handling with the 225 AS was just not great. The backend with the 225 ASs was pretty squirrelly. I really wish now I'd gotten the staggered sport tires and saved what it cost to have them replaced. I got PILOT SPORT PS2 225/40ZR18 front, 255/35ZR18, rear. They seem to actually handle better on a wet road (and I've read this in evaluations). If you actually want / need snow tires, the AS aren't really suitable for that purpose.

Having "made the mistake" I really couldn't recommend to anyone to get the All Season tires with a M240i, or even why BMW put them on this model at all. They don't seem to be able to handle the power this engine can send to them - they are way too narrow and they aren't really meant for "All" seasons (snow).

Perhaps if you lived in a place remote enough that having run flats would be needed perhaps. If I thought I could make space for it, I'd put one of the 225s in there as a spare. I've saved them in case I ever want snow tires, but not sure I'd ever use them unless I wanted to drive out to Tahoe.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #39
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
I run a square 245/35R18 Michelin Pilot 4S setup.
That's what this car should have from the factory at the minimum. (if not 245 f/265 r)

225 square setup is just not enough for this car.
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma517.00
      09-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
...225 square setup is just not enough for this car.
Depends what you do with the car. I don't track and I've been fine for years, now on 225/45-17 PS4S. I do have a lightweight configuration and the car handles extremely well in enthusiastic daily driving with this set-up. I don't really care about tire aesthetics, if that is part of your concern.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #41
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Depends what you do with the car. I don't track and I've been fine for years, now on 225/45-17 PS4S. I do have a lightweight configuration and the car handles extremely well in enthusiastic daily driving with this set-up. I don't really care about tire aesthetics, if that is part of your concern.
I don't care much about look as well.
It's just too narrow for the car's power and weight. (3680 lb for M240 Xdrive)
225 would be ok for 228/230 but not for 235/240.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #42
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I suggest spec'ing the summer tires for the higher speed limit that is coded at the factory. Then, promptly replace with all-seasons for safety in the sub 45 temps and save the summer tires for a 2nd set of wheels purchased at a later time. You'll definitely want the stickier rubber once the weather starts to warm up again. Or just sell the PSS to recoup funds and worry about a summer/track-only wheel set down the road. If you simply can't be bothered with seasonal wheel changes, just go with all-seasons year-round. Safety should be first. I learned my lesson with my old WRX w/ summer tires during a North Carolina winter "storm." Barely any snow on the ground and not that cold, but I skated right through a 4-way stop. I was lucky.