THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Anyone have/know where to get 2-piece rear rotors

04-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Anyone have/know where to get 2-piece rear rotors

hey watsup guys, does anyone here, run or know where to get 2-piece rotors for the rear? i cant seem t find a 2 piece for the rear of the F22
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Honestly, I've looked lol.

Unless you get one of the custom "made-to-order" companies like RacingBrake, you're not going to have much luck. I only ended up with mine because the BBK I bought came with them, otherwise I never intended on changing them.

FWIW the M2**iR uses factory rear rotors/calipers with a PFC front BBK. Once you install the bigger fronts, dial the brake bias forward and you'll see how little the rear is actually doing.

IIRC, you have a sweet BBK up front, already? Did you update the brake bias already? I only ask because I didn't at first, to see the difference, and it was night/day.
      04-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Honestly, I've looked lol.

Unless you get one of the custom "made-to-order" companies like RacingBrake, you're not going to have much luck. I only ended up with mine because the BBK I bought came with them, otherwise I never intended on changing them.

FWIW the M2**iR uses factory rear rotors/calipers with a PFC front BBK. Once you install the bigger fronts, dial the brake bias forward and you'll see how little the rear is actually doing.

IIRC, you have a sweet BBK up front, already? Did you update the brake bias already? I only ask because I didn't at first, to see the difference, and it was night/day.

haha yea man i was trying to avoid those made to order companies. And yea i already have the StopTech Trophy BBK up front and adjusted the bias at the time of install and your right the rears dont do a whole lot lmao. Maybe im getting to that point where im buying shit just to do it lmao.
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      04-17-2019, 11:53 PM   #4
matrixhunter
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3 SI M + 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
hey watsup guys, does anyone here, run or know where to get 2-piece rotors for the rear? i cant seem t find a 2 piece for the rear of the F22
Search for "Pilenga" rotors. Italian company that is the OEM supplier for these 2 piece rotors. They sell rear and front 2 piece at almost half price compared to dealer. They come off the same assembly line.

https://www.autopartsway.ca/partdeta.../pagenum1/tabs
Appreciate 1
Shayan55338.50
      04-18-2019, 12:18 AM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
Search for "Pilenga" rotors. Italian company that is the OEM supplier for these 2 piece rotors. They sell rear and front 2 piece at almost half price compared to dealer. They come off the same assembly line.
Here's a US supplier of Pilenga rotors: https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...?brand=pilenga

Pilengas are not, however, two-piece rotors in the conventional sense of the term. That is because the hats cannot be reused. This Essex Parts M2 Competition two-piece rear rotor is an example of what a two-piece rotor looks like, with a reusable hat bolted to a replaceable ring:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Is there any advantage to a reusable hub? I'd be concerned about the assembly process of the new rotor to a used hub and whether it's as robust as a factory made set like the Pilengas.

Thank you for the Pilenga link btw. With the factory like aluminum hubs, those look like the replacement rotors I would go for when it comes time to replace.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
Is there any advantage to a reusable hub? I'd be concerned about the assembly process of the new rotor to a used hub and whether it's as robust as a factory made set like the Pilengas.

Thank you for the Pilenga link btw. With the factory like aluminum hubs, those look like the replacement rotors I would go for when it comes time to replace.
Well, the rotor rings are cheaper than they would be if they came with a rotor hat permanently attached, so there's that.

Two-piece rotors are much more a race part than they are a street part. I'm not sure I'd run one on the street if I used the car as a DD. I had them on a race car and used a shop to change the rings out when they were used up.

About two-thirds of the way down in the following link you can read about how a two-piece rotor works. The entire page is well worth reading if performance braking systems are of interest to you.

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...-m2competition
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      04-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

^^ FYI I DD mine for 6 months/year with two piece floating configuration. It's super easy to swap rings, you just need confidence in yourself lol. The first time I did it, I took my sweet time on a bench with hand tools.

You can run a two piece "fixed" setup, which reduces all/any noise associated to a floating design. Mine don't make noise at all, like others report..

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
haha yea man i was trying to avoid those made to order companies. And yea i already have the StopTech Trophy BBK up front and adjusted the bias at the time of install and your right the rears dont do a whole lot lmao. Maybe im getting to that point where im buying shit just to do it lmao.
Yea, I mean, if the iR doesn't "need" them for endurance racing, I think you're good. The OE rotors are much better than they're given credit for. It's technically a two-piece steel/aluminum riveted design.

What I might suggest is a pad out back that bites hard, like XP10's, can help balance things out if you're "nose diving" a bit too much up front.

I had been driving a track prepped TTRS with a team of colleagues with stock brakes PFC-08 pads up front (endurance) and the XP10's in the rear, and after 4 combinations, that's what felt best on course for lengthy track sessions. It was nose diving really bad without the harder biting pads out back, it made a substantial difference. BTW, those rear TTRS calipers are single piston Golf R calipers, casted and all, the two piston Brembo's should do better for sure..
      04-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
^^ FYI I DD mine for 6 months/year with two piece floating configuration. It's super easy to swap rings, you just need confidence in yourself lol. The first time I did it, I took my sweet time on a bench with hand tools.

You can run a two piece "fixed" setup, which reduces all/any noise associated to a floating design. Mine don't make noise at all, like others report..

Yea, I mean, if the iR doesn't "need" them for endurance racing, I think you're good. The OE rotors are much better than they're given credit for. It's technically a two-piece steel/aluminum riveted design.

What I might suggest is a pad out back that bites hard, like XP10's, can help balance things out if you're "nose diving" a bit too much up front.

I had been driving a track prepped TTRS with a team of colleagues with stock brakes PFC-08 pads up front (endurance) and the XP10's in the rear, and after 4 combinations, that's what felt best on course for lengthy track sessions. It was nose diving really bad without the harder biting pads out back, it made a substantial difference. BTW, those rear TTRS calipers are single piston Golf R calipers, casted and all, the two piston Brembo's should do better for sure..

lmaoo i DD'd mine full race seats and all for like 6 months (recently got a jetta for the daily lmao) haha yea i know man, ive done just about everything on my car by myself lmaoo, and yea i feel that for sure, the best feeling combo for me has always been the ferodo DS2500 all around honestly (used to have StopTech SR34's up front and SR33's in the rear)
399.8whp on 91oct
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post

https://www.autopartsway.ca/partdeta.../pagenum1/tabs
I just ordered a set, its funny seeing the BMW branded vs Pilenga branded rotor right underneath it for half price... or more.

You can get the Pilenga drilled/slotted which are basically the M performance rotors for less than half of the BMW branded ones.

I plan on pairing these up with EBC yellows.
      09-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #11
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I just found these units by Paragon Performance. Havent seen any reviews for our chassis yet, but they appear to be popular in the Corvette and GTR tracking community. $900 up front and $550 for replacement rotors. Quite a bit lighter too. Claimed ~3.5 lbs of weight savings per corner.

https://paragonbrakes.com/2-piece-ro...mance-m-sport/

Last edited by 230iZTR; 09-01-2022 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      09-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
I just found these units by Paragon Performance. Havent seen any reviews for our chassis yet, but they appear to be popular in the Corvette and GTR tracking community. $900 up front and $550 for replacement rotors. Quite a bit lighter too. Claimed ~3.5 lbs of weight savings per corner.
Good find! Looks like the real deal, with prices to match.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 12:53 PM   #13
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I pulled the trigger on the Paragon units. Pricey, but a friend I trust who holds several FK8 Type-R track records around the West Coast has them and highly recommends them. Paired with EBC Blues and Ate200 should make for a killer setup. Ill provide a review after theyre on.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post

PM us. We are a Paragon dealer!

Photo with rotors with the optional Mil-Spec hard coat. Standard anodizing is black.
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 09-19-2022 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0