THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Red car?

08-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #23
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bis View Post
Just like "nice haircut, dude" means you are looking good? Sarcastic prosody reverses the meaning of what is said. "I could care less" is invariably used sarcastically and as such, it means the same thing as "I couldn't care less." English
Invariably? I demur. Perhaps the first person to utter it meant it so, but it clearly has deteriorated into common incorrect usage. On at least one thread when this topic arose, the poster asserted that, taken as written, it meant "I don't care" and admitted to a revelation once it was explained. Reading the context of most posters who use this expression, and their reaction to the subsequent comments, it is clear that misunderstanding predominates. This is common enough to find the earlier graphic online as a rebuttal.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #24
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Actually I think most use it believing "I could care less" really means "They couldn't care less". I hear it used incorrectly on TV by people you'd think would know better.

Steve Allen did a routine on his TV show here he listed all the misused words and phrases we hear in day to day contact. It went something like, "You could be an idiot if you say:

"I could care less"
"throat Lozengers"
"I'm Nauseous"
"supposably"
"Chomping at the Bit"

and a bunch more that escape me
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 05:15 AM   #25
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
I thought that this was about cars, not usage shibboleths.
And common usage is correct usage, so people who say "I could care less" could care less about what others say.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #26
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
And common usage is correct usage, so people who say "I could care less" could care less about what others say.
As an ex-teacher, I don’t agree with that premise at all and find the idea sad. It suggests some here hold themselves to a lower standard of excellence than they expect from their cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #27
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
As an ex-teacher, I don’t agree with that premise at all and find the idea sad. It suggests some here hold themselves to a lower standard of excellence than they expect from their cars.
Remember when Cali was going to teach in Ebonics? Christ - talk about setting people up for challenges later in life.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick5053.50
      08-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #28
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm w/ Sportstick in principle, since the whole point of a language is a common accepted meaning (but perhaps a bit more precise than your average forum poster is ready for?). My philosophy prof used to say, "if you don't say what you mean, you'll never mean what you say" fortunately he didn't extend this into punctuation or I'd have been really screwed.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick5053.50
      08-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #29
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'm w/ Sportstick in principle, since the whole point of a language is a common accepted meaning (but perhaps a bit more precise than your average forum poster is ready for?). My philosophy prof used to say, "if you don't say what you mean, you'll never mean what you say" fortunately he didn't extend this into punctuation or I'd have been really screwed.
My high school teacher did. One erroneous comma would take the grade ceiling from A to C in senior year.

If most folks here found that their engine occasionally stumbled in city traffic (casual usage), but not on the highway/track driving ("formal" usage), I wager they would still be reaching out for repair. If, on a forum ("casual"), they stumble (as we all occasionally do), why is that defended as being "casual" or "it's not a Master's Thesis" instead of just doing better next time? When did competence of cars start mattering more than people?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Probably the same reason some people practice heel-toe going for groceries, while others use the time to make a phone call. You either appreciate the process, or take the good-nuff approach.

And the one that gets the most notice in my world (because my wife goes ballistic every time she sees one) are the: "who saved who" stickers - she's come close to printing her own 'm's' (and not the proper ///M ones).
Appreciate 1
Sportstick5053.50
      08-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post

And the one that gets the most notice in my world (because my wife goes ballistic every time she sees one) are the: "who saved who" stickers - she's come close to printing her own 'm's' (and not the proper ///M ones).
The subject of your statement is the object of my respect!
Appreciate 1
Maynard4096.00