THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Advice Needed: Buying Used M235

06-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #23
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
You'd also have to check with your dealer on whether or not BMW would allow you to certify the car if you so desire - I have no idea on that.
Ah, yes, I hadn't thought of that aspect - that could certainly matter to a buyer.

Quote:
My point is take two cars that are identical except one has an accident and is $3k cheaper for example. That $3k is a phantom $3k in savings and isn't realized until you hold the car long enough to sell it for the same as a pristine car.
My thinking here is that generally in this context the average buyer doesn't understand that a qualified body shop can tell you what it is you're getting into - i.e., a car that was fixed properly, one that wasn't and needs specific remedial attention, or one that wasn't and is still okay to keep on using as-is.

Instead, we choose to think that (most any) accident = significantly lower value, and for a significant number of years to come. There's nothing really wrong with that, especially as it represents an opportunity for an informed buyer to save a few grand on a car he or she intends to hold past the point where it matters in the marketplace.
All fair points but I'm assuming that a lot of buyers just say screw it and move on. If selling to CarMax or trading they'll 100% use it against you.

My F22 had a dirty carfax due to a shopping cart bumping into it. They repainted the panel after the most minor incident you could imagine. I literally saved photos of the damage, letter from Wegmans admitting fault and paying for the repair, receipts for every single thing to prove that it was nothing to worry about.

In my mind selling a used car is the opposite of the legal system, it's guilty until proven innocent. And guilty instead of jail time means your pocket book takes a hit.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #24
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

dealer told me ANY carfax dings, immediate -$1500. trade in value Thieves.....
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #25
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
All fair points but I'm assuming that a lot of buyers just say screw it and move on. If selling to CarMax or trading they'll 100% use it against you.

My F22 had a dirty carfax due to a shopping cart bumping into it. They repainted the panel after the most minor incident you could imagine. I literally saved photos of the damage, letter from Wegmans admitting fault and paying for the repair, receipts for every single thing to prove that it was nothing to worry about.

In my mind selling a used car is the opposite of the legal system, it's guilty until proven innocent. And guilty instead of jail time means your pocket book takes a hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
dealer told me ANY carfax dings, immediate -$1500. trade in value Thieves.....
This chit is out of control. I'm assuming it's the consumer who is the problem, and their problem is ignorance and an inability or willingness to become informed. It's not like thousands of cars aren't being dinged every day. And it's not like Carfax is the Holy Grail when it comes to the verifiable condition of a car - far from it, in fact.

Whatever...it is and will remain water off this duck's back.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #26
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
I think a big concern about body damage is also who did the work. If it was done by a non bmw approved shop, then any bodywork warranty is out the window as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #27
fxie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS FDBII, 2018 AW 440GC

Thanks everyone for all the responses!

So I took the car to a mechanic and he tells me everything checks out. I also confirmed the bodyshop who did the repairs, since it was done through insurance, has a lifetime warranty on the repairs (whatever lifetime means these days) and was certified to work on BMWs. The total damage to the car was actually $5k from the accident, as the passenger side door had to be replaced along with the rear quarter panel. I saw all the paperwork as well.

I do intend on driving it for at least 4-5 years, if not into the ground or until such time that maintenance/repairs become prohibitive. By that point, I assume the car would be down to being only worth $12-13k, and the accident would have negligible impact on overall value
2014 AW F31 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #28
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

For a reference point
I had an accident In my E90. CarFax had a small note referencing an accident report on xx date. The car was just over a year old when it occurred. I had hoped to get the car totaled but no luck. Initially the the hit was about 4K in trade in value. Once in a while I'd try and trade to see what the dealer would do. The hit slowly diminished over time. When I sold it 9 years later, (the car now 10.5 years old) most dealers really did not seem to care except for CarMax. But they could not be convinced I had leather despite showing them the window sticker. Jag offs.
A note about CarFax. They showed an accident that was not an accident. I had some damage done to my car in a parking lot. I sent them info but was rebuffed. They stuck to a collision. The accident I referenced above was misleading in my favor. Unless the buyer read the small print carefully they would never know. And another accident I had were some idiot on a race bike hit me and took off did not even show. Nothing on the CarFaux about that.
It seems like if you lay low, no insurance, don't send the police report to the state (IL) you may keep if off the report.
Beware of what's on the CarFax. If it's clean, well maybe or maybe not.
Appreciate 0