THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Aftermarket intercooler install - Did you keep the plastic shroud?

02-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Aftermarket intercooler install - Did you keep the plastic shroud?

Installed an aftermarket intercooler but did not re-install the plastic shroud that used to fit around the stock one.
The amount of dirt & dust in the engine bay now makes me think this was a mistake.

For those of you that have installed an after-market FMIC, did you retain the shroud? Cut part of it off to fit new intercooler?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
syclonedriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

Basically I dropped the old IC out and then shoved/cursed the new IC into location. I didn't have any leftover or extra parts.
It wasn't as easy as it sounds.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclonedriver View Post
Basically I dropped the old IC out and then shoved/cursed the new IC into location. I didn't have any leftover or extra parts.
Thanks. I wish I could curse the shroud back into location.

Anyone else keep or toss the shroud?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
itzzoscar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive GSM

Took it off but kept it in case anything happens. Haven't really noticed a lot of debris in the engine bay though.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Take the front bumper off for the ic install, it's much easier as you can pull the shroud back way more to give you clearance. Plus you don't have to cut it although I would say most people just cut it! If you have two people it's easy for one to bend the shroud, and the other to install the ic.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

I could not keep the shroud as the Race VRSF would not allow it
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

I had the VRSF Race fully installed without removing the shroud I swapped it out to the Wagner Evo2 when i had fitment issues with the ER CP. This was when they were first released. They shipped it with poor packaging, it got pretty abused by UPS, and the IC inlet was out of round. If you take the front bumper off, you get alot more room to play with. And then you can put the shroud back, and pull it under the IC. It's tight but it fit
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

No requirement to reinstall mine. haven't noticed any issues because it's missing. No regrets issues here.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
I had the VRSF Race fully installed without removing the shroud I swapped it out to the Wagner Evo2 when i had fitment issues with the ER CP. This was when they were first released. They shipped it with poor packaging, it got pretty abused by UPS, and the IC inlet was out of round. If you take the front bumper off, you get alot more room to play with. And then you can put the shroud back, and pull it under the IC. It's tight but it fit
Really..? I had the bumper cover off also but could not find a way without modifying the shroud
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had ER CP fitment issues with an ER intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #11
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

I have the Wagner EVO1 comp IC, no fitment issues. It isn’t a very large IC though.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 05:34 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Mine is AA and it fit with no mods on a convertible. Install on the vert is a bitch though def not a DIY situation.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

I haven’t installed my ER yet so I’m not 100% sure what the shroud is? My ER has a metal plate on the bottom to protect it from debris...is this the same kind of shroud on the stock IC? If so I shouldn’t have to put the stock one back on correct? I’m not even sure if I’m talking about the same thing 😂. Just trying toget all the info before I tackle this job.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #14
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry675 View Post
I haven’t installed my ER yet so I’m not 100% sure what the shroud is? My ER has a metal plate on the bottom to protect it from debris...is this the same kind of shroud on the stock IC? If so I shouldn’t have to put the stock one back on correct? I’m not even sure if I’m talking about the same thing ��. Just trying toget all the info before I tackle this job.
No frenchfry, there's a large plastic shroud that wraps around the original intercooler. You will need to remove it to install your ER intercooler.
Leaving it off seems to allow a lot of dust and road grit up into the engine compartment.
I now wonder if I souldn't have cut/modified it in order to reinstall it, or perhaps you can just shove it back in there? IDK
I also installed an ER intercooler & attempted to install an ER charge pipe but the charge pipe had fitment problems on an ER intercooler.
I called ER 3 times and they promised to get back to me but nothing.
No more ER products for me. No customer service/support.

Please post what you end up doing.
Good luck with the install!
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #15
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclonedriver View Post
Lol I knew all those years of bench pressing at the gym would pay off. I did the same thing, also had a helping hand, I supplied the grunt he did the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #16
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
No frenchfry, there's a large plastic shroud that wraps around the original intercooler. You will need to remove it to install your ER intercooler.
Leaving it off seems to allow a lot of dust and road grit up into the engine compartment.
I now wonder if I souldn't have cut/modified it in order to reinstall it, or perhaps you can just shove it back in there? IDK
I also installed an ER intercooler & attempted to install an ER charge pipe but the charge pipe had fitment problems on an ER intercooler.

Cheers.
I just ordered the Er charge pipe thinking you can’t go wrong with the same company 🤦*♂️. I think I’m going to go to my buddies shop and put it on a lift and remove the bumper. I let you know how it fits. That’s a shame there not helping you out. I read another thread where they worked with someone who was having Fitment issues overseas since his car was a little different then the us version. I thought they were one of the better companies out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #17
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just ordered the Er charge pipe thinking you can’t go wrong with the same company 🤦*♂️. I think I’m going to go to my buddies shop and put it on a lift and remove the bumper. I let you know how it fits. That’s a shame there not helping you out. I read another thread where they worked with someone who was having Fitment issues overseas since his car was a little different then the us version. I thought they were one of the better companies out there.
Finally got ahold of someone at ER that seems very helpful.
I'm hopeful.

We installed my ER intercooler on a lift & removed the bumper.
I wouldn't want to try it without a lift.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #18
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Finally got ahold of someone at ER that seems very helpful.
I'm hopeful.

We installed my ER intercooler on a lift & removed the bumper.
I wouldn't want to try it without a lift.
That’s good to hear! Hopefully they take care of you.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #19
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't installed my ER yet so I'm not 100% sure what the shroud is? My ER has a metal plate on the bottom to protect it from debris...is this the same kind of shroud on the stock IC? If so I shouldn't have to put the stock one back on correct? I'm not even sure if I'm talking about the same thing ��. Just trying toget all the info before I tackle this job.

Cheers.
I also had fitment issues with Er intercooler and chargepipe. The cold side of the intercooler doesn't seem like it has the correct angle or my charge pipe is off. It's jammed together at the coupler it's definitely not a great fit. I got it to clip in but I'm not 100% it won't leak.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #20
syclonedriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Mine is AA and it fit with no mods on a convertible. Install on the vert is a bitch though def not a DIY situation.
Mine is a convertible and I did it myself. It wasn't easy! I do have a low-rise lift though. With a second set of hands it would have been much easier. At one point I started taking the bumper off but I had trouble with a couple of screws and I went back to the brute force method.

I might eventually upgrade again but I'm not sure that I have room with the extra bracing that the convertible has, I'll have to take a look.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #21
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

dinan, no plastics. had to cut the front grill to get it to fit.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #22
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Mine is installed w/shroud as well. There's a bit of a hump toward the center but aside from that, it's barely noticeable and all in tact. Removing the bumper makes it 10x easier, imo.