THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Banned Anti-Dazzle High Beam Headlight AD

04-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #23
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayevman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
Lately, I've I had a keen but passing interested in the operational function of modern day headlight systems, in general, not just BMW and what the future holds for this evolving technology.

A much debated topic is in the BMW world is if the anti-dazzle high beam (Not VLD) function is possible of being coded and functioning properly in the US, due to unconfirmed hardware limitations. I personally have the Xenon adaptive headlights and I can confirm that post-coding, the Anti-Dazzle High Beam feature is operational, as described. As far as blinding oncoming drivers, that I can't confirm with absolute certainty but I honestly doubt it "dazzles" anyone, based on my own observations.

I know the reason this function is decoded before it hits US bound vehicles is because of an outdated US law that prevents the beam pattern from having motion. After reading between the lines on the commentary from the National Highway Institute on the subject, I highly doubt this law will change anytime soon, as it not a priority, and they already felt they made a mistake by approving LED tail and headlights (Google it)...

This unfortunately stumps the growth of any future highlight technology from evolving, at lease in the US. Although the US government is not sold on benefits of new headlight technology, based on the fairly recent article I stumbled on below, it seems like even in countries where the Anti-Dazzle HB option is fully legal, there are still some who believe that the feature is not 100% effective...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-34878016.html
M240 X Drive with LED headlights and auto high beams. Oncoming cars flash their high beams at me frequently. Not sure it it's because the high beams were on and they saw them shut off, or they saw them on and think they are still on, or the LED headlights are so bright they think they must be high beams. I usually briefly flash back to make them aware that my high beams are not on.
The stock non-coded High Beam Assist is pretty conservative, it always shuts off an sign of an on coming vehicles - or not - but it still shuts off HBA, I can't see it blinding anyone. Also, all low-beams distance, regardless of Xenon or LED is regulated by the US government, the beam throw is adjusted to only a certain distance, aim more down on the left side to avoid blinding anyone, regardless how much brighter or whiter one might seem to the each other.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I'm in the UK and I was frankly uncertain whether the full set of Xenon Options (+High Beam Assist, +Adaptive) would really work as shown in the BMW video. At the time of ordering my M235i Convertible, it was possible to only order one of the two options, although now they are combined on M240i ordering.

As long as you have both options I think it's actually an amazing technology. I'm a convert, particularly on cross-country night drives.

Basically, it does two really useful things (i) drops the high beam on the front passenger side when vehicles approach and (ii) 'boxes' the car in front in a dark oblong, following its up/down an left/right movements on the road ahead. It'll also (iii) dip both sides full beam when it needs to or when you enter a built-up lit area (this seems to be all you get in most US states).

But you do have to accept that it doesn't react any faster than a human driver. This can be disappointing if your expectation is it'll be a lot quicker.

However, once you start to trust it, it seems to work well and I haven't found drivers flashing their lights at me. Obviously, if you're very familiar with a route that you drive regularly, then the system will never be able to know that a light in the distance means a car will be appearing abruptly 'round the next corner. But otherwise it seems to work really well.

Last edited by msej449; 04-09-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0