THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Awron for M235i - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

08-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #23
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglesre View Post
I've been driving around with one center vent closed to see how I would do in the 100 degree Houston heat. Really not bad.

Has anyone considered putting in a right-side gauge in a left-drive car to retain the vent on the driver's side? I so rarely have passengers. Having the gauge a few inches further away doesn't seem like a problem.

Bob
As someone who also lives in Texas and who has blocked the left center vent with an iPhone running DashCommand and other OBD programs numerous times, I can tell you that blocking that vent makes more sense than blocking the right center one. Why? Because with 3-9 or 2-10 hand positions on the steering wheel, your right hand blocks most of the left center vent's airflow anyway.

You'll have more view-ability issues with the Awron in the right center vent, too, since the viewing angle is greater.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT699.50
      08-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #24
Scubadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
As someone who also lives in Texas and who has blocked the left center vent with an iPhone running DashCommand and other OBD programs numerous times, I can tell you that blocking that vent makes more sense than blocking the right center one. Why? Because with 3-9 or 2-10 hand positions on the steering wheel, your right hand blocks most of the left center vent's airflow anyway.

You'll have more view-ability issues with the Awron in the right center vent, too, since the viewing angle is greater.
That makes sense. Good feedback. Thanks.

I actually considered blocking the small vent to the left of the wheel might be a good thing (with P3). I often find my left hand uncomfortably cold from the left hand vent blowing directly on it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #25
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglesre
Quote:

That makes sense. Good feedback. Thanks.

I actually considered blocking the small vent to the left of the wheel might be a good thing (with P3). I often find my left hand uncomfortably cold from the left hand vent blowing directly on it
Hah. Guess what? I have a P3 gauge ... and I unplug it from the OBD port to run the phone apps. So really I have 1.5 vents blocked in those cases ...

... still no cooling issues. BMW A/C ain't shabby ... though Huper Optik 30 percent tint helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #26
Tony88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix

Quote:

I can't really comment on the cooling aspect of losing the center vent as I live in Alaska losiing the vent was a bit of a concern for me as I was a little afraid to lose it for heating but so far I don't think I'll miss it. I just move the passengers vent over to me if I feel I need it.

Also, people have claimed that it's more difficult to see the P3 gauge in the left vent because your hand and the steering wheel block your visibility. I have only seen the comments and can't say yes or no to that. On the other hand though, I have had zero issues with visibility of the Awron gauge on the right hand side. The angle it mounts and the location seem perfect to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #27
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Finally got mine in yesterday and installed it. Installation was a pinch and the gauge works great. The only complaint was the shipping. It left Germany quick enough (ordered straight from Awron) and once it left for the destination country on the 8th of this month the shipping didn't update until yesterday when it said it had been processed for delivery, and next thing I know it's at my door. Damn you DHL!

I guess if I had another complaint is the gauge is smaller in real life than I had imagined in my head, but that's my own fault.

Appreciate 1
MASHCT699.50
      01-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Exactly, that's what I thought!
Did you wind up getting the Awron gauge?? If yes, what do you think??

I watch the AIT temp one the most - some reason, I find that one really interesting. The torque/HP graph, too. That one's slick.

I am thinking of changing out the FMIC in the summer. Will be real interesting to see the AITs on the gauge.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #29
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update on Awron gauge

Just wanted to drop a quick note on the reliability.

I've had the gauge quite a while now & through 9500 mi. Zero issues.

This thing is great. Easy to use, clear as all get out, it's situated in the right place for easy viewing, and most importantly, I've encountered no problems with heat/AC with one vent blocked. It can get hot & humid here in CT, even though not for very long. It gets plenty cold, and the heat does not struggle one bit.

So if you're thinking of getting this gauge, I can highly recommend it.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #30
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
Looks really sharp. Have been wanting one for a while, but I've heard that it interferes/fights for OBD2 bandwidth with JB4 so wouldn't work for me if that is the case. Ive had to make do with the 6plus over the vent with the JB4 app. No where near as sleek though.
Hey man. Do you have a link to any threads on this issue? I am thinking of swapping out the BMS stage 1 for the JB4 next year. (Not that I dislike the stage 1, been great so far. I am starting to get the itch for more power. Gotta keep up with my buddy!)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #31
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Exactly, that's what I thought!
Did you wind up getting the Awron gauge?? If yes, what do you think??

I watch the AIT temp one the most - some reason, I find that one really interesting. The torque/HP graph, too. That one's slick.

I am thinking of changing out the FMIC in the summer. Will be real interesting to see the AITs on the gauge.
I actually haven't, put my dollars towards going FBO instead for now.
Appreciate 1
Amack101.00
      01-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #32
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Stop Enabling Me To Spend $$$$$
      01-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #33
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65 View Post
Hey man. Do you have a link to any threads on this issue? I am thinking of swapping out the BMS stage 1 for the JB4 next year. (Not that I dislike the stage 1, been great so far. I am starting to get the itch for more power. Gotta keep up with my buddy!)

Here

Im sure I've seen other threads mentioning it as well. Even with Terry@BMS saying the same thing. Makes sense that anything else using the canbus will be in competition for the bandwidth.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT699.50
      01-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #34
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=crbalch;21090920]I actually haven't, put my dollars towards going FBO instead for now.[/QUOTE

You're making me ask more questions (and spend more money).

Which model radar detector did you get (model) and did you do the hardwire tap/install yourself? Easy? My current radar detector is about to go on the fritz - and it's not hardwire-able anyway. Figure time to get a new one.

Also - can you post pics of your roof & show the trunk/hood?

And did you put the M Performance sill decal on yourself, or had the dealer do it? If you did it - easy? I am thinking about getting those. The more I see em the more I like em.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #35
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

old thread I know, but just got myself the awron gauge - I specified with the exhaust valve control.

any one using that?
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #36
R0ME0
&quot;The Midas Touch&quot;
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
old thread I know, but just got myself the awron gauge - I specified with the exhaust valve control.

any one using that?
I'm using it. Works awesome you're gonna love it!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #37
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
do you get any hardware for that or just extra wires to plug into the module with the others?
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #38
R0ME0
&quot;The Midas Touch&quot;
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
do you get any hardware for that or just extra wires to plug into the module with the others?
To my understanding it's all software.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #39
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To my understanding it's all software.
Ok that's good.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0