THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum anyone consider the c43?

02-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #23
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Id go c63 if I were to go for a bigger car.
      02-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #24
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

I really like the C43 AMG personally. Interior wise, MB is destroying BMW I would say, and the new design ethos for MB has been really nice.

Like mentioned above the C43 does not compete with the M3 or M4, that's the C63 and C63s, the C43 is a direct competitor to the 340/440 and S4/S5. As far as which one of the cars in this segment I would go for, I would say MB 100%. I love my 2 series, but outside of the M2, M3, M4, there aren't any other BMWs I would really want to own these days. Interiors are pretty vanilla, and just they are not the driver's machines they used to be.

The C43 is a pretty stiff and sporty car considering its a merc, and I think overall it goes a longer way to distinguish itself from the base model C class than the 340 or 440 would, even in full Msport trim.

I would say, just test drive different cars you like, you will know the one that speaks to you most. My pick would be the C43 in that segment though.
      02-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #25
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 4S

New here to this forum. I pick up my new to me 2015 228i tomorrow! I also currently own a C63S so I can provide some perspective. These cars are not in the same class, even if you take the power differential out of the equation. The C is a much bigger car on the inside with much more usable space, is on a completely different level in terms of luxury and quality of materials and design, and is a far heavier car. As a result, while my C will destroy the 228 in handling because it cost $60k more and has all of the go-fast goodies that a 228 does not have, it has a totally different character. The C accomplishes its mission in a smooth and detached manner. The limits, like the M3, are crazy high and as a result you cannot really reach them on public roads safely. Both the 228i I am buying and the M235s I test drove are all little pocket rockets that are fun and nimble. They are sharp cars with, by comparison, a very utilitarian interior. I absolutely love my C class when it comes to driving at high rates of speed for long distances. I also do not believe the build quality of Mercedes is as good as BMW.

In summary:
2 series: shorter, entertaining drives while maintaining a modicum of civility for family life
C class: incredibly fast, refined, and overall laid back cruiser with a great interior

Full disclosure: I have not been as excited about a car purchase for this 2 series since I bought a 911! Happy to get back to row your own...
Appreciate 2
aozer992.50
Kolyan2k951.00
      02-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #26
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
I really like the C43 AMG personally. Interior wise, MB is destroying BMW I would say, and the new design ethos for MB has been really nice.

Like mentioned above the C43 does not compete with the M3 or M4, that's the C63 and C63s, the C43 is a direct competitor to the 340/440 and S4/S5. As far as which one of the cars in this segment I would go for, I would say MB 100%. I love my 2 series, but outside of the M2, M3, M4, there aren't any other BMWs I would really want to own these days. Interiors are pretty vanilla, and just they are not the driver's machines they used to be.

The C43 is a pretty stiff and sporty car considering its a merc, and I think overall it goes a longer way to distinguish itself from the base model C class than the 340 or 440 would, even in full Msport trim.

I would say, just test drive different cars you like, you will know the one that speaks to you most. My pick would be the C43 in that segment though.
Agree with the appearance comments, but did you take a C43 AMG for a test drive yet? And if so, how did you feel it compared to your 2er?
      02-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #27
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripitz View Post
Full disclosure: I have not been as excited about a car purchase for this 2 series since I bought a 911! Happy to get back to row your own...
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #28
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Agree with the appearance comments, but did you take a C43 AMG for a test drive yet? And if so, how did you feel it compared to your 2er?
I have not driven the C43, I have driven just the C300 with the AMG sport package, which is a much much crappier version, but even that I liked quite a bit.

From all I have read, the C43 is a much rougher car than the non AMG version. In fact car and driver complained it was too stiff (granted it was with runflats).

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...an-test-review

Having said that, I would still prefer my 2 series as it is a different car altogether. The c43 is competing with the S4/S5 340/440 not the 2 series. That's the CLA for MB, and that car is meh. I actually looked at the CLA45 AMG before getting my M235i, but coupled with a FWD bias and uninterested sales guys at the MB dealer, it made my decision much easier.

But make no mistake, it is a much bigger car, and heavier too. So I would not recommend it over the 240/235 if overall fun is what you are looking for, but if you want something that's fun and plenty fast with a bit more room, then yeah.

I would take it 100% over the 340 or 440. Those just seem uninspiring these days, and even the S4/S5 are kind of eh~ these days. I think in that segment MB is really killing it.
      02-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #29
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mercedes C-class build quality is abysmal. I forgot to mention it. My C63S is put together like rubbish. The paint is horrible. My car with 17k miles looks far worse than my Porsche Cayenne with 95k miles (including harsh winters). Rattles, strange electronic problems, and other foibles are the norm. If I didn't have the handbuilt V8 under the hood, I would say it is not worth it.

My 228i definitely feels better put together than my C.

Just an additional data point.

I too am bored by the 3 and 4 series. BMW dealers also are pretty arrogant and wouldn't let me test drive the M3/4 despite owning multiple M cars over the years. Mercedes let me drive the AMG and how could one not fall in love with a handbuilt V8 with 500+ hp...
Appreciate 2
Kolyan2k951.00
      02-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #30
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
I too am bored by the 3 and 4 series. BMW dealers also are pretty arrogant and wouldn't let me test drive the M3/4 despite owning multiple M cars over the years. Mercedes let me drive the AMG and how could one not fall in love with a handbuilt V8 with 500+ hp...
In my experience dealership arrogance doesn't have much to do with the brand they represent, it comes down to the individual dealerships. My BMW dealership is great. Whenever I stop by there I am always greeted in a friendly manner and never hounded by a salesperson. When I was shopping for my m235i, I sent an email to a salesperson I had met previously and mentioning I'd be by to look at it and take it for a drive. When I arrived they had it out of the showroom and sitting waiting for me. The took my license and insurance info and tossed me the keys and told me it was full of gas and to drive it as much as I wanted. I have no doubt if I wanted to drive an M car, they'd have had the same approach.

On the other hand, when we purchased my wife's Q5, the salesperson was never more than 5 feet from us the entire time and insisted on riding in the back seat while on our test drive making sure the trip was a quickie. And, when we decided on the vehicle, the negotiation and purchase experience with like hand to hand combat between me and the salesperson. The only reason we purchased was because my wife wanted that Q5 at the only Audi dealership in town and she had no desire to travel 2 hours to another Audi dealer. Then a couple weeks ago, I was with my 27 year-old daughter helping her shopping for a car. We were looking at a CPO Honda Accord coupe. We had to find a salesperson to help us and once we did, she too insisted on going on the test drive, squeezing into the back seat.

Over the years, I have had great experiences at dealerships selling both average and premium model vehicles and I have also had miserable experiences at similar dealerships.
24 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Standard Bed, 3.0 TurboDiesel, Max Tow
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #31
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
In my experience dealership arrogance doesn't have much to do with the brand they represent, it comes down to the individual dealerships. My BMW dealership is great. Whenever I stop by there I am always greeted in a friendly manner and never hounded by a salesperson. When I was shopping for my m235i, I sent an email to a salesperson I had met previously and mentioning I'd be by to look at it and take it for a drive. When I arrived they had it out of the showroom and sitting waiting for me. The took my license and insurance info and tossed me the keys and told me it was full of gas and to drive it as much as I wanted. I have no doubt if I wanted to drive an M car, they'd have had the same approach.

On the other hand, when we purchased my wife's Q5, the salesperson was never more than 5 feet from us the entire time and insisted on riding in the back seat while on our test drive making sure the trip was a quickie. And, when we decided on the vehicle, the negotiation and purchase experience with like hand to hand combat between me and the salesperson. The only reason we purchased was because my wife wanted that Q5 at the only Audi dealership in town and she had no desire to travel 2 hours to another Audi dealer. Then a couple weeks ago, I was with my 27 year-old daughter helping her shopping for a car. We were looking at a CPO Honda Accord coupe. We had to find a salesperson to help us and once we did, she too insisted on going on the test drive, squeezing into the back seat.

Over the years, I have had great experiences at dealerships selling both average and premium model vehicles and I have also had miserable experiences at similar dealerships.
I mean, the dealer experience is individual, but I was already on the fence, and the BMW dealer was just nicer overall, which helped sway my decision (The FWD bias wasn't helping the CLA).

Had the C43 been out then, it would have been a different story.

As for the C63 build quality, that is surprising. Granted I don't own the benz, so my experience has been with short term, I found the build quality to be pretty good. I love my M235i, but the interior build quality is pretty crap.

You will get plenty of rattles and annoyances throughout. But I can look past all that because fun times in the twisties etc.
      02-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #32
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I mean, the dealer experience is individual, but I was already on the fence, and the BMW dealer was just nicer overall, which helped sway my decision (The FWD bias wasn't helping the CLA).

Had the C43 been out then, it would have been a different story.

As for the C63 build quality, that is surprising. Granted I don't own the benz, so my experience has been with short term, I found the build quality to be pretty good. I love my M235i, but the interior build quality is pretty crap.

You will get plenty of rattles and annoyances throughout. But I can look past all that because fun times in the twisties etc.
The C class is a cheaply built car that looks expensive. The corners they cut are pretty impressive. My brother bought a C300 despite my warnings and now he is dealing with lots of annoying issues!

I don't think my 2 tries to be anything other than a basic interior (I have the non-leather interior). It has 35k miles on it and no rattles... far better than my C.

Don't get me wrong.. I *love* my AMG car. I'm just not sure I'd be willing to overlook the many flaws in how it is put together if it didn't have something special under the hood up front.

As to the dealerships, it was a pretty universal phenomenon in the NY area. I couldn't test drive the M cars even at dealers where I bought previous M cars (2 different ones). When I was younger I didn't care; now after working with a Porsche dealer that lets you drive anything you want whenever you want, it has opened my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #33
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripitz View Post
Mercedes C-class build quality is abysmal. I forgot to mention it. My C63S is put together like rubbish. The paint is horrible. My car with 17k miles looks far worse than my Porsche Cayenne with 95k miles (including harsh winters). Rattles, strange electronic problems, and other foibles are the norm. If I didn't have the handbuilt V8 under the hood, I would say it is not worth it.

My 228i definitely feels better put together than my C.

Just an additional data point.

I rolled up in sweats driving my dog-car beater and test drove an M4 at mine, I guess it depends on the dealership.

Bizarrely only VW of all places refused to let me test drive their 'halo' Golf R when I went there.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #34
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Good info on C-class....funny that 2-series is like one of the better BMWs in terms of reliability and driving experience
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #35
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
I have not driven the C43, I have driven just the C300 with the AMG sport package, which is a much much crappier version, but even that I liked quite a bit.

From all I have read, the C43 is a much rougher car than the non AMG version. In fact car and driver complained it was too stiff (granted it was with runflats).

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
You are correct Luftwaffenpilot regarding your comment about the C300 being a better driver than the C43 .
My wife and I just got into Orlando for a 2 week golf vacation and I had a Mustang ragtop reserved at Sixt, but when I got there, they only had Camaro ragtops available. One look at the trunk opening and I knew we were screwed for the golf clubs/bag. They offered me either a 4-series cabrio or the C300 ragtop. I took the C300 as the 4er with the top down has useless trunk space.
As disappointed as I was with the ride and feel of the C43, I was quite impressed with the C300. No harshness or clunkiness I had previously experienced with the C43.
That said, even if it were an even money trade with my M235xi ragtop, I wouldn't swap, but the C300 is not a bad little buggy.
      02-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #36
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

The below average reliability ratings of the C class are not unearned!

Sadly, the car is a brilliant design...

I've posted enough of my thoughts on this

It's good to have choice. I'm lucky to have a few cars that make me happy in different ways!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #37
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
You are correct Luftwaffenpilot regarding your comment about the C300 being a better driver than the C43 .
My wife and I just got into Orlando for a 2 week golf vacation and I had a Mustang ragtop reserved at Sixt, but when I got there, they only had Camaro ragtops available. One look at the trunk opening and I knew we were screwed for the golf clubs/bag. They offered me either a 4-series cabrio or the C300 ragtop. I took the C300 as the 4er with the top down has useless trunk space.
As disappointed as I was with the ride and feel of the C43, I was quite impressed with the C300. No harshness or clunkiness I had previously experienced with the C43.
That said, even if it were an even money trade with my M235xi ragtop, I wouldn't swap, but the C300 is not a bad little buggy.
Dont get me wrong, definitely would not get rid of my 235 for a C class, nor would I do the same for a 3 series either. As far as the compact performance car segment out of the germans, I think the 2 series is the best one (hence why I have one lol).

The A3/S3 are nice but I dunno, just didn't do it for me, the CLA45 is also meh, and the non AWD versions are FWD which would have been a deal breaker. When I got my car, there was no S3 yet, so the options were A3 2.0, or CLA45AMG. I didn't really consider the A3 just because it was nothing to write home about, and the CLA45 I already stated above. The m235/M240 are much better cars overall, and I am absolutely happy with mine.

Mine only comparison was had I been looking at the A4/3 series/C Class segment. After having quite a few 3 series loaners, I don't think I would want to own one, they are just so boring to drive.

But its a moot point because I don't like larger cars anyways, as you can tell by the fact that the 2 series is my BIGGER car.
      02-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #38
thebiglubinsky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3

I just sold my CLA45 and jumped back into a 2 series. MB is just a totally different experience. I test drove the C63 and the C43. Under $150k, MB either gives you a soft cushy not so sporty ride or an unacceptable stiff "sporty" ride. If only they knew how to tune the suspension like BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 12:58 AM   #39
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

C63 is a beast of a car, but imo the MB interface is terrible. I daily drive a W205 c300 and it does the job as one. But the interface is nowhere near the greatness of idrive. It's not user friendly or intuitive, terrible lag for all functions. Beautiful design, comfortable ride, but it's not engaging (had my m235, and now m2 for that).
Appreciate 0