THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Vorshlag camber plates installed

10-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #111
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
This platform really needs a solution for the street, though. Everyone I talk to about their F-series car, whether they track it or not, complains about outer front tire wear. I suspect that a fully streetable camber plate (e.g. fixed at -1.0deg or -1.5deg with a urethane or rubber top bushing) would sell like hotcakes.
Agree 100% hence why I was interested in M4GTS top mounts as believe they are offset inwards but fixed and of same design as F series top mounts.....

Can't get these for love nor money though......

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #112
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I've ran front camber plates in probably 4 of my cars. Never had these noise issues that seem to plague the BMWs.

The plates I've ran were not 3rd party plates, but came with the coilovers as a set. Maybe that's the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #113
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Agree 100% hence why I was interested in M4GTS top mounts as believe they are offset inwards but fixed and of same design as F series top mounts.....

Can't get these for love nor money though......
Where did you get your information about "same design as F-series top mounts"? My eyeballing of those parts indicated to me that they have a smaller diameter spring perch, and so are incompatible with our stock springs.
      10-13-2016, 03:16 AM   #114
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Where did you get your information about "same design as F-series top mounts"? My eyeballing of those parts indicated to me that they have a smaller diameter spring perch, and so are incompatible with our stock springs.
RW - looks like you are correct - can't get them, cost a fortune if you could & then won't work with stock springs - I'm getting of this bus !!! BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #115
csg
always learning
Rep
Drives: fast, takes chances

Quote:

This platform really needs a solution for the street, though. Everyone I talk to about their F-series car, whether they track it or not, complains about outer front tire wear. I suspect that a fully streetable camber plate (e.g. fixed at -1.0deg or -1.5deg with a urethane or rubber top bushing) would sell like hotcakes.
I posed this question in another thread a few months back to very little interest. Looks like there is interest building and that's awesome! I would kill for a "set and forget" option that gives me -1.5(ish) degrees at stock ride height and retains some more NVH. IMO that's the perfect solution to a guy like me who drives their car enthusiastically every day, and in anger on track once or twice every couple of years.

Maybe another thread with a poll is in order?
1997 Land Rover Defender 300TDi (ours)
Appreciate 2
Poboy9.50
      10-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #116
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csg View Post
I posed this question in another thread a few months back to very little interest. Looks like there is interest building and that's awesome! I would kill for a "set and forget" option that gives me -1.5(ish) degrees at stock ride height and retains some more NVH. IMO that's the perfect solution to a guy like me who drives their car enthusiastically every day, and in anger on track once or twice every couple of years.

Be a sweet option. Cheaper too. Maybe have offer 3 different cambers.

I'd buy the -2.5
Appreciate 1
Poboy9.50
      10-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #117
Poboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:

I would be interested, what is stock front camber?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #118
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I guess the problem is that with fixed camber plates it will never be 100% accurate as there are other alignment factors that determine camber.

Last edited by Anthony235; 10-14-2016 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #119
csg
always learning
Rep
Drives: fast, takes chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poboy View Post
I would be interested, what is stock front camber?
Not positive but I believe it's -0.5 degree or so.. Hardly enough!
1997 Land Rover Defender 300TDi (ours)
Appreciate 1
Poboy9.50
      10-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #120
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Not positive but I believe it's -0.5 degree or so.. Hardly enough!
It's better than 0.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 11:58 PM   #121
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I guess the problem is that with fixed camber plates it will never be 100% accurate as there are other alignment factors that determine camber.
Which factors are those? Do you mean manufacturing tolerances of the body in white, or slop in the front subframe mounting points?

Front camber is fixed on these cars when stock. There are no slider holes, no alignment pins, no elliptical washers or bushings.

Moving to a fixed plate that approximates an additional -1.5deg camber (moving the top mount ~1.5-2cm inboard) will result in an alignment that has no larger error side-to-side than stock.
csg57.00
      10-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #122
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Quote:
installation of the stock isolators fixed the issue covered by my video

the slight rattle at low speed is what I'm griping about: you'll find that you'll be able to hear it at nearly any speed over rough surfaces, and that it will become worse over time, ultimately requiring replacement
Yup, the slight noise I had upon initial install has become much louder after a track day.
      10-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #123
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Which factors are those? Do you mean manufacturing tolerances of the body in white, or slop in the front subframe mounting points?

Front camber is fixed on these cars when stock. There are no slider holes, no alignment pins, no elliptical washers or bushings.

Moving to a fixed plate that approximates an additional -1.5deg camber (moving the top mount ~1.5-2cm inboard) will result in an alignment that has no larger error side-to-side than stock.
I was actually referring to adjusting the toe will effect the camber. So a fixed camber plate would be off after adjusting toe.

But I just looked it up to make sure I was correct. I was wrong though

Toe will not change front camber. But that's not true vice versa.

I do believe changing toe in the rear does effect rear camber though.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #124
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
I was actually referring to adjusting the toe will effect the camber. So a fixed camber plate would be off after adjusting toe.

I do believe changing toe in the rear does effect rear camber, though.
fixed is never 100%, that is why the factory spec is so wide, I think .3 maybe even more.

Weight, suspension wear, shock/ spring wear, can all affect the camber.

Funny to see these long threads on plates, you can buy the K-mac stage 2 plates. If you install them properly, there is no noise, no problems. I have ran them on stock springs, lowering springs, and coilovers, lcas, no lcas, ts, stock wheels, track wheels, ext.

No complaints. 12k on the set, at least 6k track miles, might need a new bearing at 24k, no biggie they are completely buildable.

I do not think any design other than kmak will work on the stock shocks. The kmak design spreads the load across the plate, as the bearing is below, not above in most of the designs.

The forces involved are too large, they will distort the bearing housings eventually . On stock struts, which are soft, they end up fully compressed on track all the time, so all the force gets put on the housing. lowering springs only increase this.

I do not really overly blame the manufacturers, it is a pretty odd scenario not seen in many cars, the designs they have is there standard stuff. It just so happens kmak's standard design works well for this, they are an Aussie company, and most of the roads there are unpaved, or horrendous. They also love muscle cars, big and heavy. Their design is way overbuilt, This works out well in this application. They hold quite a few patents, so don't expect to see another company duplicate this.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #125
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

I do believe changing toe in the rear does effect rear camber though.
Well, yes, it will affect camber a bit.

As you toe in more negative camber is added, but at a very tiny amount. Camber changes will have more affect on toe, however.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #126
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Well, yes, it will affect camber a bit.

As you toe in more negative camber is added, but at a very tiny amount. Camber changes will have more affect on toe, however.
I generally run 0 toe up front with slight rear toe in. So for me a fixed camber solution would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #127
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I generally run 0 toe up front with slight rear toe in. So for me a fixed camber solution would be fine.
Yes, fixed camber you are fine.

With adjustable camber plates and going to a track setting you will want some toe-in for street use as you adjust for more negative camber for the track you will end up at zero toe.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #128
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
fixed is never 100%, that is why the factory spec is so wide, I think .3 maybe even more.

Weight, suspension wear, shock/ spring wear, can all affect the camber.

Funny to see these long threads on plates, you can buy the K-mac stage 2 plates. If you install them properly, there is no noise, no problems. I have ran them on stock springs, lowering springs, and coilovers, lcas, no lcas, ts, stock wheels, track wheels, ext.

No complaints. 12k on the set, at least 6k track miles, might need a new bearing at 24k, no biggie they are completely buildable.

I do not think any design other than kmak will work on the stock shocks. The kmak design spreads the load across the plate, as the bearing is below, not above in most of the designs.

The forces involved are too large, they will distort the bearing housings eventually . On stock struts, which are soft, they end up fully compressed on track all the time, so all the force gets put on the housing. lowering springs only increase this.

I do not really overly blame the manufacturers, it is a pretty odd scenario not seen in many cars, the designs they have is there standard stuff. It just so happens kmak's standard design works well for this, they are an Aussie company, and most of the roads there are unpaved, or horrendous. They also love muscle cars, big and heavy. Their design is way overbuilt, This works out well in this application. They hold quite a few patents, so don't expect to see another company duplicate this.
Looked at kmac. Looks like they only have the 3 hole design. Nothing for 5 holes?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #129
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
Looked at kmac. Looks like they only have the 3 hole design. Nothing for 5 holes?
I just bought a pair of the KMAC Stage 2s. They support 5-holes and 3-holes with knockout studs. Pretty slick. I haven't installed 'em yet, but will review once I do.
Appreciate 2
jpnh1424.50
      10-26-2016, 01:26 AM   #130
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
I just bought a pair of the KMAC Stage 2s. They support 5-holes and 3-holes with knockout studs. Pretty slick. I haven't installed 'em yet, but will review once I do.
Look forward to the review. Curious about whether they creak or clunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #131
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol how many camber plates have you gone through now?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #132
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote: