THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Front Shock Tower Brace - Beneficial?

06-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #23
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

The web site for KC Design in Taiwan is:

http://www.tw-kcdesign.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #24
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Installed the Ultra Racing one off amazon today, actually did seem to help a little. The KC design one i like better and don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the N20/26 cars also. It says 220i/220d/M235i under one of the pics so i may swap for that one later.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #25
JQuach07
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i Alpine White

I messaged them directly Via messenger. I had my cousin help translate most but they English is alright. I bought upper strut and rear / front sway bar for about 550 shipped came in less then two week. I live on the west coast too. Fitment is perfect for upper strut. They sway bar made a huge improvement in cornering also I notice I don't have anymore roll. If you have any other questions I am free to answer them.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #26
reala
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16' MG M235i xDrive

From my experienxe with other cars front strut bars helps. Many people dont feel difference but i do. I helps chassi flexing specially on cornering.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #27
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuach07 View Post
I messaged them directly Via messenger. I had my cousin help translate most but they English is alright. I bought upper strut and rear / front sway bar for about 550 shipped came in less then two week. I live on the west coast too. Fitment is perfect for upper strut. They sway bar made a huge improvement in cornering also I notice I don't have anymore roll. If you have any other questions I am free to answer them.
Sway bars effect roll way more. A strut bar will effect body roll very little if at all. In fact it may amplify roll since there is now less chassis flex in the car (especially with cars that already have a lot of chassis flex).

Just my thoughts on it
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      08-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #28
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Sway bars effect roll way more. A strut bar will effect body roll very little if at all. In fact it may amplify roll since there is now less chassis flex in the car (especially with cars that already have a lot of chassis flex).

Just my thoughts on it
This. Strut braces affect two things: suspension coupling and chassis stiffness. (The OEM bracing toward the front of the car is not directly tied to the suspension, so it's primarily a chassis stiffness benefit.) A stiffer chassis flexes less; the topside connection to the suspension via the strut towers effectively dials the stiffening in as a counterpoint to whatever anti-roll measures are already on the car: bars, stiff springs, compression damping, etc.

Here's the thing: All of those measures are located on components that are designed to move -- even the anti-roll bars. Strut mounts don't move, so a strut tower brace effectively amplifies whatever roll already exists because the chassis moves more as one unit instead of flexes.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      08-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #29
Sotz
Registered
Rep
Drives: m235

Garage List
2016 BMW M235  [0.00]
For a daily driver? I'd skip it, or at least, won't be my priority. Probably better to go for thicker sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #30
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotz View Post
For a daily driver? I'd skip it, or at least, won't be my priority. Probably better to go for thicker sway bars.
True. But this is a mod primarily driven by cost and convenience for many - i.e., strut brace cost is low, while sway bar cost is high.

This difference is magnified on our cars because replacing sway bars is difficult and requires dropping major parts of the suspension -- particularly on the front. Unless you're experienced and have the garage facilities, you'll be paying four figures in labor to do sways, whereas a strut brace is often a DIY-level mod with little to no major disassembly/reassembly required.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #31
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
True. But this is a mod primarily driven by cost and convenience for many - i.e., strut brace cost is low, while sway bar cost is high.

This difference is magnified on our cars because replacing sway bars is difficult and requires dropping major parts of the suspension -- particularly on the front. Unless you're experienced and have the garage facilities, you'll be paying four figures in labor to do sways, whereas a strut brace is often a DIY-level mod with little to no major disassembly/reassembly required.
Fact. Installation of my sway bars was 4 figures. Great upgrade, but good god damn it was expensive (not worth it if you don't put your car on the track, honestly).
      08-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #32
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Fact. Installation of my sway bars was 4 figures. Great upgrade, but good god damn it was expensive (not worth it if you don't put your car on the track, honestly).
Even on the track not sure the ROI is worth it. Especially if you're not on R comps. Even then coilovers and camber plates should come first.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #33
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Even on the track not sure the ROI is worth it. Especially if you're not on R comps. Even then coilovers and camber plates should come first.
Camber plates should absolutely come first. Not sure about coils thought. The car has excessive body roll due to small sway bars. The shock/struts are fine for what they are. I'd prefer to just replace when they wear out, rather than waste. Sway bars don't wear out.

Also, don't bother with sway bars if you don't have a limited slip diff. That should be on the top of the list with the camber plates.
      08-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #34
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Camber plates should absolutely come first. Not sure about coils thought. The car has excessive body roll due to small sway bars. The shock/struts are fine for what they are. I'd prefer to just replace when they wear out, rather than waste. Sway bars don't wear out.

Also, don't bother with sway bars if you don't have a limited slip diff. That should be on the top of the list with the camber plates.
Curious what are your lap times at the various socal tracks? I never see anyone in the area post lap times. Want to see what the 235 people are running.

Thanks

Last edited by Anthony235; 08-17-2016 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #35
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Curious what are your lap times at the various socal tracks? I never see anyone in the area post lap times. Want to see what the 235 people are running.

Thanks
I haven't been running recently, and when I was last year, I am about as novice as it gets (I've only had 15-20 days on track ever), so I don't really pay attention to my times. Of course, that would indicate that I don't really need any mods or whatever (aside from basic maintenance), but I I liked the upgrades even on the street too -- car feels like a lot of fun, and it definitely feels better on the track. It was kind of a learning experience for me.
      08-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #36
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I haven't been running recently, and when I was last year, I am about as novice as it gets (I've only had 15-20 days on track ever), so I don't really pay attention to my times. Of course, that would indicate that I don't really need any mods or whatever (aside from basic maintenance), but I I liked the upgrades even on the street too -- car feels like a lot of fun, and it definitely feels better on the track. It was kind of a learning experience for me.
No worries. Glad to see people out on the track. I hope to have the 235 out sometime this fall
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #37
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Hope you don't mind me adding to an old thread. I'm curious about the BMW factory strut brace, part # 51617378711. Was considering it for our stock 2015 228i coupe. They're ~$62 new - <$40 used. Didn't know if it was an accessory or installed from the factory. The car isn't here for me to check, but the brace wouldn't be hiding under the rubber weatherstripping, would it? Thanks in advance!

BMW strut brace 51617378711

Our engine bay

EDIT: According to a response from babybmw forum, the factory brace pictured is hidden under the rubber seals in the engine compartment.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining

Last edited by John in VA; 06-30-2020 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0