THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan CAI

04-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Dinan CAI

I'm interested to add Dinan CAI to my M235i.

I read in the instructions about modification to the airbox in case of a snow valve.

Anyone cross paths with such a modification? Car was ordered from a dealer in Cali which will eventually end up in Michigan.

Anyone know the part number with and without snow valve? I would like to check mine on ETK prior to ordering from Dinan.

Happy Modding!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
ChuckAWDM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode
I'm interested to add Dinan CAI to my M235i.

I read in the instructions about modification to the airbox in case of a snow valve.

Anyone cross paths with such a modification? Car was ordered from a dealer in Cali which will eventually end up in Michigan.

Anyone know the part number with and without snow valve? I would like to check mine on ETK prior to ordering from Dinan.

Happy Modding!
the stock airbox is simple to remove and check. undo the 4 clips then pull the stock filter. to the left of the box is the snow valve. if there is nothing on the left side clipped in. doesnt have a snow valve. if it does. you'll have to get a rivet gun and attach the small plate to the box.

contact evan@tischer aka getBMWparts.com a vender here who will get you a great deal on the Dinan CAI

Last edited by ChuckAWDM2; 04-13-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

The snow valve kit is cheap, something like $25 maybe? Order with your CAI then you'll have it just in case.

Don't forget, if you have the valve you'll need a rivet gun to install it.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks all.

Anyone know how to check this in advance of the car arrival? I want to order now! Haha I can check Etk once I have a vin#.

Worst case I have to be patient and physically check :-).

Thanks for the tischer hint and already one step ahead - contacted Jason on Monday! Haha
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
ChuckAWDM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Thanks all.

Anyone know how to check this in advance of the car arrival? I want to order now! Haha I can check Etk once I have a vin#.

Worst case I have to be patient and physically check :-).

Thanks for the tischer hint and already one step ahead - contacted Jason on Monday! Haha
Not sure how to check. I wasn't aware they sold them without the valve in the box, As you know the prices are pretty fair. I would just order the one that's listed at 617.00 minus the great discount im sure they gave you and you'll be ready when the car arrives. Shipping is quick. Im happy with the intake, didn't notice gains right away. But you'll hear the spooling and seems to be making a slight difference. I plan to get a tune eventually.
      04-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

I'll probably hang tight until the car arrives or at least try. haha
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I installed the Dinan intake and my car had a snow valve. I thought it just came in cars with a cold weather package, but apparently not. It's a pretty easy job to install the plate, it just uses small pop rivets.

Last edited by qnet; 04-16-2016 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: spelling.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet
I installed the Diana intake and my car had a snow valve. I thought it just came in cars with a cold weather package, but apparently not. It's a pretty easy job to install the plate, it just uses small pop rivets.
From what I've learned is that the snow valve is delivered to "colder" climates. I guess they determine this by ordered dealer location? Maybe it's installed at port? I asked dinan if they knew of a part number difference and they didn't note one. However, tested the theory by ordering an airbox from Canada and SoCal - one from Canada had it one from SoCal didn't. Haha. Don't quite understand how they ensure a car in cold climates receives the snow flap.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #9
Alfonso235i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

I am from Florida, and my car came with that valve. I wonder what really is the deciding factor on which cars get it.
I love my Dinan CAI btw.
Enjoy!!
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #10
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso235i
I am from Florida, and my car came with that valve. I wonder what really is the deciding factor on which cars get it.
I love my Dinan CAI btw.
Enjoy!!
Haha further solidifies my wait. Totally confused in the snow valve implementation. Thanks for posting.

I'll probably just get the cai and deal with it! Worst case hello jb weld. Just kidding
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
Alfonso235i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso235i
I love my Dinan CAI btw.
Enjoy!!
Haha further solidifies my wait. Totally confused in the snow valve implementation. Thanks for posting.

I'll probably just get the cai and deal with it! Worst case hello jb weld. Just kidding
Installing the plate is super easy, and if you ever want to put the stock intake back, the valve covers the holes.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Been running this CAI for about last 2-3 weeks or so on my m135i in the UK

Initial impressions are positive

According to jb4 app IAT's are a few degrees cooler compared to oem with drop in.

Noise - slight increase in induction whoosh but not excessive

Throttle response - did both throttle body and gearbox adaption resets once CAI fitted so difficult to say any gains before and after so. Feels good though - punchy when you get on it and stutter free on part throttle.

Performance gains - car is fishing quick already so hard to gauge. Would need before and afters to show any numerical gains or losses.

Looks - a splash of CF under the bonnet but this is low on my priority list as I don't drive around with the bonnet off !!!

Last edited by Bee Pee; 05-15-2016 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Nice, I think this will be my next addition. I like turbo noise. And allegedly my Dinan stage two tune recommends it.

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #14
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Been running this CAI for about last 2-3 weeks or so on my m135i in the UK

Initial impressions are positive

According to jb4 app IAT's are a few degrees cooler compared to oem with drop in.

Noise - slight increase in induction whoosh but not excessive

Throttle response - did both throttle body and gearbox adaption resets once CAI fitted so difficult to say any gains before and after so. Feels good though - punchy when you get on it and stutter free on part throttle.

Performance gains - car is fishing quick already so hard to gauge. Would need before and afters to show any numerical gains or losses.

Looks - a splash of CF under the bonnet but this is low on my priority list as I don't drive around with the bonnet off !!!
How was the install

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benandluna View Post
How was the install
I bought a used n55 intake so I could pre-assemble Dinan filter into lower air box and mount MAF in advance.

Pre-assemble could have been better as seal supplied to fit Dinan lid onto lower air box was poor.

Tried a few different alternatives and now seals fine.

Install into the car took about ten minutes. Remove Oem air box, mount Dinan air box, install CF intake tube install vacuum pipe and MAF plug.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #16
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I bought a used n55 intake so I could pre-assemble Dinan filter into lower air box and mount MAF in advance.

Pre-assemble could have been better as seal supplied to fit Dinan lid onto lower air box was poor.

Tried a few different alternatives and now seals fine.

Install into the car took about ten minutes. Remove Oem air box, mount Dinan air box, install CF intake tube install vacuum pipe and MAF plug.
Wow, sounds like a DIY for sure.

Appreciate 0