THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i Paint issues at dealer

04-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

228i Paint issues at dealer

Hey guys,

Really could use your advice:

I was down at BMW Monterey today. Super nice guys. I was dealing with Chris who was great. We made a good deal on a new 228. While waiting to sit with their finance gal to go over the paperwork I noticed some small issues with the paint:

The car was AW and it had 2 blemishes on the hood. One was a bit bigger than a quarter, the other was much smaller (1.5cm). It looked like either tree sap damage or bird dropping damage. They took the car twice to their detailer but he couldn't remove them. He actually introduced slight micro marring around one of the spots.

I told them I wasn't happy taking the car as is and would like it repaired. In the end they agreed to do a color sanding repair. I came home without the car and they told me they would be in touch after its fixed.

My question is: Did I do the right thing not signing? Is color sanding a good solution? I feel like I was being a bit picky but I'm worried about clear coat failure. Thier finance lady advised me just to get $1850 lease protection and be done with it.

thanks so much
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh
Hey guys,

Really could use your advice:

I was down at BMW Monterey today. Super nice guys. I was dealing with Chris who was great. We made a good deal on a new 228. While waiting to sit with their finance gal to go over the paperwork I noticed some small issues with the paint:

The car was AW and it had 2 blemishes on the hood. One was a bit bigger than a quarter, the other was much smaller (1.5cm). It looked like either tree sap damage or bird dropping damage. They took the car twice to their detailer but he couldn't remove them. He actually introduced slight micro marring around one of the spots.

I told them I wasn't happy taking the car as is and would like it repaired. In the end they agreed to do a color sanding repair. I came home without the car and they told me they would be in touch after its fixed.

My question is: Did I do the right thing not signing? Is color sanding a good solution? I feel like I was being a bit picky but I'm worried about clear coat failure. Thier finance lady advised me just to get $1850 lease protection and be done with it.

thanks so much
So they are selling you a new car and are having some airbrush work done on lot damage to save money?

I'd want the hood repainted.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2025 M3 Comp xDrive

I wouldn't want the hood repainted. A repainted panel instantly lowers resale value and you risk not getting a good match.
2019 MB AMG C43 (Sold)
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

If you are leasing and planning to turn it in at the end I wouldn't worry too much. The repair will probably last for three years and if it doesn't insist on the dealer providing documentation of the repair. With this in hand you should be able to challenge any issues at lease turn in.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

You definately did the right thing not signing.

What's COLOR SANDING ?

Wet sanding I'm familiar with, but they're not wet sanding away swirls or orange peel away so who knows what they're trying to accomplish.

It's a situation you really shouldn't have to deal with. The fact they scratched the finish trying to fix the original issue should be quite apparent that a perfect repair may not be possible.

Color sanding - http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-b...color-sanding/

Last edited by overcoil; 04-10-2016 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 25 BMW M2

Its a new car I wouldn't want a repainted hood. As far as asking you to purchase some lease en policy ask them to take that $1800 and take it off of the price of the car.

You realize that a car depreciates once you take it off the lot and now your you have a repainted hood that will drop the value even more. Yes, if it's a lease as long as it is repaired correctly you will be ok but I wouldn't purchase a new car that's already been repainted unless the car was severely discounted.

Sounds like they already tried wet sanding and buffing and couldn't get it out. The fact that you said that you could still see sand marks leads me to believe that their detailing department is not up to snuff - not really a surprise for a dealer.

If it was me I would pass on the car and find another. I'm way to anal for that.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i, 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp, 23' Camaro SS 1LE, 24' Lexus IS500
Current Cars: 23' Tesla Model Y Performance, 11' BMW 335I. Coming Soon: 25' BMW M2 Manual
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

you did the right thing by not signing until the car was to your expectations perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks so much for the replies. One of the things I'm concerned about is them doing a poor job and the blemishes getting larger over time so at lease end I get dinged for it.

Do any of you guys have the lease protection plan? If so how much did you pay? They quoted $1850 for 3 years and I think the max deductible is $5k. I mean I might end up driving the car around LA a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #9
cjmoy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i 6MT Cabrio

Good luck with the repair.

It's interesting that back in 2012 I bought my leftover 335d from the same dealer and I had a quarter sized blemish in the paint in the hood which I just lived with. I wonder if their location has something to do with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #10
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Cars are damaged before delivery all the time. BMW has a HUGE paint shop at each of their port facilities to deal with it. Below a certain dollar value, they don't even have to disclose it.

This really isn't a big deal. They should repaint the affected area, document that it was pre-existing before you signed for the car, and call it a day.

If they can't fix it to your satisfaction, lease a different car.

As for the lease coverage, seems a bit silly and expensive to me. Any minor damage is going to be "normal wear and tear" and anything more than that should be an insurance claim anyway. $1850 will pay for a fair bit of minor fixing.

People on here are way to wound up about paint. It's a car - unless you exclusively keep it in the garage wrapped in soft cloth and bubblewrap and never drive it anywhere, it's going to get dings, scratches, and blemishes.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #11
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. One of the things I'm concerned about is them doing a poor job and the blemishes getting larger over time so at lease end I get dinged for it.

Do any of you guys have the lease protection plan? If so how much did you pay? They quoted $1850 for 3 years and I think the max deductible is $5k. I mean I might end up driving the car around LA a lot.
First off, sounds like they are trying to sell the insurance based on damage that was caused well they had it on the lot...hmmmm something sounds fishy there.

They should be fixing it to what you would expect and I would be looking for a further discount as most on here have said, it will effect resale value...I would argue for a discount whether you are buying or leasing (who knows down the road you may want to keep it)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

One thing to keep in mind is there are some minor paint and clear coat imperfections that can come with the car. I can say mine did, but only noticed the flaws after the fact. I wasn't to concern since it wasn't a scratch made by the dealership. Good decision to not sign the lease and for thoroughly looking at the car and spotting the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

You did the right thing.If you aren't happy with it, just walk away. As others have said, if you look close enough its easy to find blemishes in the clear coat of brand new cars. I am surprised the detailer couldn't couldn't get it right. They'll have to color sand if its that deep in the clear and they can't get is out with a heavy polish. As long as it's not something physically dried into the paint it should look perfect when they're done. As far as the lease protection for $1800, IMO you're wasting your $. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Angry

As luck would have it my financial situation has just taken a nose dive and I need to put this purchase off for a bit. I got lucky in a way, I was very close to signing this weekend.

Thanks again guys for the replies. The combined knowledge of this forum is awesome.
Appreciate 0