THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Removal of stock charge pipe - please help!

02-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Removal of stock charge pipe - please help!

I am currently trying to install an ER charge pipe in my 2016 M235xi and have been following the instructions provided by ER. So far I have gotten the stock CP loose at both ends, removed the intercooler, and loosened the coolant line from its bracket.

The instructions then say to "twist, turn, and bend the CP out from the bottom". I have been trying to twist, turn, and bend the CP every which way for the past 2 hours but I cannot seem to get it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tip because I am at my wits end and about to give up? I wouldn't mind trying to cut it in half if that would help.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
inktomi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EBII M235i

I cut mine in half. So much easier.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 02:32 AM   #3
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' M235i

Did you order the right CP? I know there's a difference between the RWD and Xdrive versions. How were you able to get the intercooler out without taking off the CP? Do you mean you just loosened the two bolts holding it in? Now the CP is all that's holding it? I would suggest working the CP from both the top (throttle body connection end) and the bottom (intercooler end). Work it back and forth, it took me a while to get mine out. A tip, if you haven't already, only disconnect the drivers side charge pipe, instructions will tell you to disconnect both in order to drop the intercooler completely. You don't have to do that and in fact it's just a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
le enox
Rep
Drives: m235i

I took mine from the too, my car is rwd, dunno if its possible on a xi tho.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I eventually just cut it in half and pulled it out from the top (after I removed the intercooler). Then, 10 hours later, much frustration, and hundreds of cuts on my hands I closed the hood and took a test drive. I consider myself pretty handy and have worked on cars many times but replacing this CP was probably the most difficult thing I have had to do for some reason. Let's just say this will be the last time I try and replace a CP....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' M235i

Glad to hear you got it done. I agree, it's not the easiest job in the world, and it took me quite a bit longer than anticipated. It took me 4 hours but I had a lift to use which was a HUGE help. Enjoy the worry free driving now with whatever increased boost you decide to run. The peace of mind is great.
Appreciate 0