THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Why I'm getting a 228i after all

05-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #45
perryair
late registration
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 m240i

I test drove an m sport 228 and on two occasions a brz, and I will say that the brz 'feels' much more like a sports car and it's size, gearing and seating position make you feel more connected to the road and your driving experience. however, the 228 has MUCH more oomph and seemed like a much more comfortable car to drive highways and commute. if you had a long awful commute to and from work every day and needed a daily, the bmw would be perfect but if you needed a second car or were the kind that would gladly trade off comfort for 'feel' that brz seemed perfect.

they're both great cars, just for the specific use they were designed for.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #46
Crowden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post
I test drove an m sport 228 and on two occasions a brz, and I will say that the brz 'feels' much more like a sports car and it's size, gearing and seating position make you feel more connected to the road and your driving experience. however, the 228 has MUCH more oomph and seemed like a much more comfortable car to drive highways and commute. if you had a long awful commute to and from work every day and needed a daily, the bmw would be perfect but if you needed a second car or were the kind that would gladly trade off comfort for 'feel' that brz seemed perfect.

they're both great cars, just for the specific use they were designed for.
Arghhhh, don't DO that!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #47
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowden View Post
Arghhhh, don't DO that!
Heh, it's a matter of opinion. In Sport mode the 228i M Sport with THP feels as planted on a curving road, at speed, as any 2-seater I've owned and that includes a Lotus.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #48
perryair
late registration
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Heh, it's a matter of opinion. In Sport mode the 228i M Sport with THP feels as planted on a curving road, at speed, as any 2-seater I've owned and that includes a Lotus.
totally agree that the 228 feels very solid, athletic and planted. the brz makes that same experience feel a bit more raw and visceral (and slower, mind you), which is something that isn't everyone's cup of tea.
      05-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #49
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post
totally agree that the 228 feels very solid, athletic and planted. the brz makes that same experience feel a bit more raw and visceral (and slower, mind you), which is something that isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Yes, I get that, completely. Before I'm too old to enjoy it, I will revisit two-seaters that put you almost prone six inches above the road surface. I was tempted by the BRZ a few years ago but I have two teenagers I occasionally have to lug around, for which the 228i is almost practical. And I do a certain amount of freeway driving, which is unlikely to be a relaxing experience in the BRZ. Nice car for the back roads, though, no doubt about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #50
Crowden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Yes, I get that, completely. Before I'm too old to enjoy it, I will revisit two-seaters that put you almost prone six inches above the road surface. I was tempted by the BRZ a few years ago but I have two teenagers I occasionally have to lug around, for which the 228i is almost practical. And I do a certain amount of freeway driving, which is unlikely to be a relaxing experience in the BRZ. Nice car for the back roads, though, no doubt about it.
My concern with fun 2 seaters is exactly that they're small and low. I LOVED my Z3's and their quaint trailing arm suspension simply added to their charm. BUT ... when my back went south getting in and out was noooot so fun and closing that big coupe door was absurdly difficult. Healthy - no problem. The 228 is no SUV but it's still going to be easier to get in and out then ye olde flop down onto the seats Z3, miata, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #51
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well be warned, the seat is still rather low and the door heavy in the Deuce.
Appreciate 0