THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack How do I know if I have TPMS?

02-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Question How do I know if I have TPMS?

Afternoon everyone.... yesterday I received my new tires and today, my Style 405 19" wheels were delivered!!!

But since they came separated, now I will need to ask a friend to help me out to take the wheels in his car to the dealership while I carry the tire set on mine (both will never fit within my M235i hehe).

BUT, before I go and make this complicated trip to the BMW dealership, I need to ask a very very stupid question: how in God's name I can find out if my car has TPMS? I checked the information at http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html using my VIN, I got plenty of information regarding the wheels, brakes, even about the tires (which are runflats), but there's no info displayed about the car having TPMS.

If I do have TPMS, can't I just use the same ones on my current wheels? Sorry if this question is more stupid than the previous one, but this would be the very first time I have a car with TPMS, I don't know how they work.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
One of the easiest ways is to look at the valve stems.

Rubber/Plastic = no tpms.

Metal = tpms

as a general rule.

Also when you go to vehicle status in idrive and look at the tires if it says FTM or Flat Tire Monitor you don't have TPMS.

FOr example my canadian car does not have TPMS ( doesn't do well in cold weather) i have FTM which uses the ABS sensors..
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
One of the easiest ways is to look at the valve stems.

Rubber/Plastic = no tpms.

Metal = tpms

as a general rule.

Also when you go to vehicle status in idrive and look at the tires if it says FTM or Flat Tire Monitor you don't have TPMS.

FOr example my canadian car does not have TPMS ( doesn't do well in cold weather) i have FTM which uses the ABS sensors..
Killramos , bro, you rock man, THANKS A LOT!!! That is very useful information and good news too!! My valve stems are rubber, so I don't have TPMS!! Great!!

Thanks again man!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
No problem, there are a bunch of threads on here about it ( I cant be bothered to search and find one) and that is the general conclusion. I am sure BMW reserves the right to change the valve stems but i don't think that has happened to anyone yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
No problem, there are a bunch of threads on here about it ( I cant be bothered to search and find one) and that is the general conclusion. I am sure BMW reserves the right to change the valve stems but i don't think that has happened to anyone yet.
Good, I honestly thank you for pointing that out man.
Appreciate 0