THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anyone else think the suspension is soft (M235i)

08-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #23
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

that's pretty right on....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #24
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

One of the best quotes I found on the suspension comes from Top Gear Battle of the Hot Hatches. They pitted the M235i against a bunch of hot hatches like the Audi S1, new Golf R, etc.

I think this quote is perfect:

"And although it's a touch stiffer than the M135i on which it's based - more so with the adaptive dampers set to Sport - it still till takes a moment to ease itself into the appropriate posture"
Top Gear

On the E46 M3 being harsh, I know what you mean, the E46 M3 was particularly harsh and I was concerned about the 1M because I bought it without driving it. It ended up being perfect which might be why I believe ///M can make a great fixed suspension.

Part of the problem with the E46 was that it started out before the big wheel revolution. It was designed and rolled out 1999 with 15" wheels and the suspension parameters were basically engineered for that. Then they went to 16" which was OK. Later they went to 17" sport package and the M3 started life with 18", finally they ended up 19" CSL wheels. You saw many of the 18" E46 ZHPs with mushroomed strut towers and they eventually released a reinforcement plate. They were too thin to handle the firmer suspensions and 18" wheels that transfer bigger shock loads. As you can imagine, they were stiffened more in the M3 and if you had the 19" model, it was a kidney basher.

The newer cars are designed better now but still a lot of the harshness that many are bothered with is not solely the suspension, it is the wheels and tires. Everyone loves the big wheels but they are actually the biggest culprit in harshness and the suspensions are designed to make these wheel and tire combinations liveable. Ironically, race cars have sidewalls which everyone forgets. If the car suspensions were tuned for 17" non run-flat cars, they would surely be firmer. So I hope that explains somewhat when I say that EDC is not strictly a performance enhancement but it does have the benefit of being somewhat "self adjusting" to the different wheel and tire combinations.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #25
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
...there is nothing wrong with the M-sport fixed and tuned by M suspension and while EDC might tick better numbers, I still like the more natural feel and predictability of a firm fixed suspension.
I'm entirely happy so far with my 228i Sport Line suspension (which I think is the same suspension you get with the M Sport package). I opted out of the adaptive shocks after taking a second test drive of a non-adaptive Sport Line 228 at the dealership and realizing the car had excellent ride/handling balance right out of the box.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #26
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yes, I would have less issue with if they made the dynamic setup as firm as the fixed M sport, then gave you a crazy super firm autocross setting. They give you comfort instead. The problem is that in order to get comfortable you have to provide a soft part of the spring and more travel to soften the shock. You can compensate somewhat with firming the shock but you have already compromised it too much. They made a 228 non M and if you find it too firm, buy it or another softer car like the 3 series etc. Trying to make it a comfort cruiser and sports car sounds nice but you end up with it not being good at either!
Welllll…sort of. Or you can say it's a little good at both.

I think that I'd love to have my M235i a tad flatter when slamming into corners, but also a tad plusher when driving on some potholed city pavement. Hard to get both.

Most of the reviews have given this little car kudos for it's handling and almost all of them have pointed out that it's much better than the harsh-riding 1 series it replaces. I love the split-personality of this car between Comfort and Sport+.
Dr Jekyll vs. Mr Hyde.

Another thing to remember…a young secretary buying her 1st 228i for a sporty commuter car simply can't do much to smooth out the ride. It's as smooth as it's gonna get.

But for a true enthusiast looking for a firmer ride, more aggressive acceleration or better brakes…there are a host of options available. Sure they cost more, but at least both camps can get what they want, making it a versatile car when stock, that can be turned into a monster without too much effort.

That said I'd love to feel the difference with the M springs or similar/more aggressive spring set.
Appreciate 0