THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack all-season run-flat or performance non run-flat tires?

01-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
all-season run-flat or performance non run-flat tires?

I'm about to put a an order in for a new M240i and am trying to decide if I want the all-season run-flat or performance non run-flat tires.

I live in California so there isn't really a need for snow tires unless I travel and we don't get that much rain.

I'm looking to get a set of the 19" 205M tires for it in the future, so was thinking it might not be bad to have a set of all season tires as well. Just was concerned that they wouldn't ride a well on dry pavement as the performance tires in the mean time.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Do you want 155mph or 130mph top speed?

The summer Michelin sport tire's on 18 inch wheels - brings out the best in the car. Yeah a pot-hole can and flat might neutralize you, so road side assistance.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Do you want 155mph or 130mph top speed?

The summer Michelin sport tire's on 18 inch wheels - brings out the best in the car. Yeah a pot-hole can and flat might neutralize you, so road side assistance.
Ha, not to sound like an old codger, but I just went off on a tangent the other day about how folks these days can't change their own tire, but rather have to call AAA. Now I'm gonna have a car where you can't change your own tire even if you wanted to!

I swear, I'm still on the line thinking I should buy a low milage used E46!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

I just traded an off-lease m235i with P7 all-season run flats for a m240i with MPSS. The steering feel is way better with the MPSS. The m235i steering felt a bit on the over-boosted and nervous side; the m240i feels stiff, stable, and planted. The steering is quite a bit heavier.

Obviously, this is a bit apple-to-oranges, since we are talking about a slightly different car with way less wear on it. But as far as I know, the the steering and suspension is otherwise the same in both cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Unless you really care about the top speed limiter, I'd go w/ the all seasons - then you have those, or can use the wheels for snow tires if you ever go nuts and move someplace it actually snows. This is assuming the 19" wheels w/summer tires are a definite plan. You definitely want to be running on summer performance tires one way or the other - huge improvement over all-seasons; and if you plan to track it, you may want the extra speed limit. Perhaps also easier to sell a take-off set of staggered wheels w/ MPSS, but that would just be a guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

19" Wheels Look Better ~ BUT

My Set-UP":

Winter: Non-Staggard 18" OEM Wheels with Pirelli P Zero A/S+

Summer: Staggard 18" OEM with MPSS
Car just simply drives so smooth on the summer PSS and a tire that can be worn down without being noisy.

Most A/S tires get noisy in the final 25% tread life where these MPSS just keep purring along and gripping.

19" Wheels simply look better especially with a suspension drop but the 18's give the best performance. Plus the cost of 19" tires are much higher.
Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #7
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, I'm being told from the dealer due to supply constraints I'd need to order with the all season run flat tyres if I want it here in decent time.

Regarding the 19s vs 18s ... I was under the impression that the 19s gave better performance, albeit most of that was because you could fit 255s on the rear and thus have more rubber on the road. But have done more reading and the consensus seems to be that that 18s hit the sweet spot.

But dang the 19" 405Ms look so damn good! They are one of the pricier upgrades on my list so there is some question about whether it's really worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
jules_78th
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Cabriolet

I just ordered a 2019 M240i cabriolet with the All season Jet black wheels. Am I reading this right and that there is a speed limiter on my 2019 M240i just because I selected the factory all season tires?

I plan to use these all season as my winters, and then get new aftermarket rims with performance tires for the summer. Does this mean I will still have a speed limiter after I put on new set of rims and summer tires?

Also, if I find that the car is undrivable with the AS during the winter, I can swap out to winters using these rims right? It was mentioned here that the rear was narrower than the front and I looked up the spec and it looks like the front is narrower not the back?

Rear Wheel Size (in) 18 X 8

Rear Wheel Material Aluminum

Spare Wheel Size (in) NA

Front Wheel Size (in) 18 X 7.5

Tires

Front Tire Size P225/40YR18

Rear Tire Order Code NA

Rear Tire Size P245/35YR18

Note I live in Toronto, Canada.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_78th View Post
I just ordered a 2019 M240i cabriolet with the All season Jet black wheels. Am I reading this right and that there is a speed limiter on my 2019 M240i just because I selected the factory all season tires?

I plan to use these all season as my winters, and then get new aftermarket rims with performance tires for the summer. Does this mean I will still have a speed limiter after I put on new set of rims and summer tires?

Also, if I find that the car is undrivable with the AS during the winter, I can swap out to winters using these rims right? It was mentioned here that the rear was narrower than the front and I looked up the spec and it looks like the front is narrower not the back?

Spare Wheel Size (in) NA

Tires

Rear Tire Order Code NA

Yes, if you ordered the all-season tyres for you M240i in Canada, you won’t get the increased speed limiter, it will be set to 210km/h. To get the 250km/h speed limiter you need option S840A which comes with the selection of summer tyres.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Spare Wheel Size (in) NA

Tires

Rear Tire Order Code NA

Unless things have changed for 2019, if you order the car with All Season Run Flat tires, you will have your speed limited to 130, unchangeable after 10 hours of operation (unless someone offers a flash tune for the B58 F22, currently no on has) and your wheels will be 7.5 on all 4 wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F22-Wheels-Tires.pdf (23.8 KB, 206 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
jules_78th
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Unless things have changed for 2019, if you order the car with All Season Run Flat tires, you will have your speed limited to 130, unchangeable after 10 hours of operation (unless someone offers a flash tune for the B58 F22, currently no on has) and your wheels will be 7.5 on all 4 wheels.
This is concerning as I do plan to take the car to the track at some point. So I called my sales guy and he confirmed there's no speed limiter, double checked him and called BMW canada, and they confirmed no speed limiter.

Car is on the boat to Halifax right now so will see if thats the case.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
This is concerning as I do plan to take the car to the track at some point. So I called my sales guy and he confirmed there's no speed limiter, double checked him and called BMW canada, and they confirmed no speed limiter.

If you have the VIN (last 7 digits is all you need to enter), use the vin decoder here: https://www.bmwvin.com/ to check for option S840A "High Speed Synchronisation" in the Vehicle Options list. If it is not in the list, your car will be limited to 210km/h, if it is in the list your car will be limited to 250km/h.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I guess one takeaway I took away from this experience is that sales guys often have no idea what they are talking about. Maybe they don't do it in Canada? I've seen some folks suggesting you plug the VIN into a BMW VIN decoder and see if it has the speed limit increase coded.

Take a look at the Specs page:

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/2-se...fications.html

TOP SPEED (mph)
130 [155]
"Top speed limited electronically. Figures in [ ] apply to vehicles with performance tires and increased top-speed limiter."

The BMW Canada site states that the top speed is 250 KPH

https://www.bmw.ca/en/all-models/2-s...ical-data.html

So that may be the info your dealer is using?

I've seen in many places that if you have the 130 MPH limiter it can only be programmed out in the first 10 hours of engine operation, but I'm not sure if you can do that with something like Bimmercode or if you'd have to get the dealer to do it.

I saw from another post that someone now can flash tune a B58 engine and someone with a M140i had done it to their vehicle. ( https://missiontuning.com/bmw-engine...sh-tuning.html )
I'd be a bit reluctant to make this sort of modification to a brand new car just yet tho.

I've not yet tried to test whether I can actually go over 130 yet as I would really only ever want to try that on a closed course.

I'm really curious to know if it really is different in Canada, tho. If you ever get a chance to try.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #14
jules_78th
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to test it out. But not sure I'm willing to do it in the first 10hours as I'm not sure if I need to break in the engine first? I usually do for new cars on the first 1000mile (1600km). You guys know?

Looks like its 2000km and keep it under 4500rpm. (posted a separate thread and someone answered the question)

Last edited by jules_78th; 09-18-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0