THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics How changing spearkers,sub and/or adding AMP affect the warranty?

05-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
Sura
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i

How changing spearkers,sub and/or adding AMP affect the warranty?

Hi I'm looking to upgrade the sound system of my 228i. If I were to use plug and play components I believe this should not affect the warranty. However does adding an amp affect the wiring and could that have a possible affect on the warranty? I know I see a lot of threads with audio systems being changed. Just wanted to get some peace of mind before I go through with the changes.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
Hi I'm looking to upgrade the sound system of my 228i. If I were to use plug and play components I believe this should not affect the warranty. However does adding an amp affect the wiring and could that have a possible affect on the warranty? I know I see a lot of threads with audio systems being changed. Just wanted to get some peace of mind before I go through with the changes.

Thanks
Until a few days ago, the answer probably would have been: no effect on warranty.

But there has been a recent development that you can track here:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260271

Zooks527's experience doesn't speak to the question of warranty ... yet. He's got a dealer who seems to be working with him. But until we can get more information on what caused the ECU abort and whether other dealers might not treat that sort of failure so kindly, you might want to hold off for a while.

Just one person's opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto
Quote:

Thanks
Until a few days ago, the answer probably would have been: no effect on warranty.

But there has been a recent development that you can track here:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260271

Zooks527's experience doesn't speak to the question of warranty ... yet. He's got a dealer who seems to be working with him. But until we can get more information on what caused the ECU abort and whether other dealers might not treat that sort of failure so kindly, you might want to hold off for a while.

Just one person's opinion.
Don't let that stop you from swapping out speakers though. More than a few people have been happy with the stock amp and aftermarket speakers.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Don't let that stop you from swapping out speakers though. More than a few people have been happy with the stock amp and aftermarket speakers.

I'm definitely one who has swapped speakers and kept the stock amp. I am very happy with the upgraded sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

You can be selective about when you get a flash as well. Zook took his car in and the dealer just flashed the car Willy nilly because some tsb said so. When I take my car in i tell them two things. No car wash and no ecu updates. Then if you come across an update that you want you can swap the stock ecu back in. Just be sure to use the PnP harness like the one sold by Technic or get the bimmertech amp which is also PnP.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
eflatminor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Quote:

Thanks
Don't think it would effect the warranty to change the amp, but messing with wiring could throw error codes, which is why so many of us go with upgraded amps and/or speakers that are sure to work both physically (drop in replacements) and electronically (impedance matching, same wiring, etc to avoid error codes).

Personally, I swapped out the speakers with Bavsound's offerings and the OEM amp for a Bimmertech. I also disengaged the ASD. Digging the tunes now!
Appreciate 0