THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Summer Tires in Below Freezing

04-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Summer Tires in Below Freezing

Anyone else get caught w/ their pants down and have their summer tires on w/ these below freezing temps?

I've been babying the shit out of my car... how worried should I be about tread compound cracks?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Anyone else get caught w/ their pants down and have their summer tires on w/ these below freezing temps?

I've been babying the shit out of my car... how worried should I be about tread compound cracks?
By "babying" do you mean the car is in storage? If you've been driving it on summer tires, the cracking is quite possible and when it occurs, you're up for new tires on your own money....not warranty. Not sure worrying will help; just be ready to examine and replace them if the cracking becomes evident.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
aerostar
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
By "babying" do you mean the car is in storage? If you've been driving it on summer tires, the cracking is quite possible and when it occurs, you're up for new tires on your own money....not warranty. Not sure worrying will help; just be ready to examine and replace them if the cracking becomes evident.
Don't have another car to be driving to work. 99% problems.

Since when is it 28F in April in NJ?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Don't have another car to be driving to work. 99% problems.

Since when is it 28F in April in NJ?
An unfortunate surprise....winters came off early for us too, had snow last week, but I run Pilot Sport AS3 to get as close to PSS as possible but without this risk. Michelin just launched AS+ to replace AS3. If you need new tires, may want to consider that approach....takes all the risk out of unexpected temperature variations and they were specifically designed to replicate as much of summer tire performance as possible.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
aerostar
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
An unfortunate surprise....winters came off early for us too, had snow last week, but I run Pilot Sport AS3 to get as close to PSS as possible but without this risk. Michelin just launched AS+ to replace AS3. If you need new tires, may want to consider that approach....takes all the risk out of unexpected temperature variations and they were specifically designed to replicate as much of summer tire performance as possible.
I might just throw my winter tires back on for a week. It's supposed to stay around 30 for the whole weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.95]
I drive all year round on summer tires. I have never had a problem with them cracking. You do lose some traction when the temperature get below freezing but that is the only problem I have had.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I might just throw my winter tires back on for a week. It's supposed to stay around 30 for the whole weekend.
Yep....you want a good stable minimum 45!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I drive all year round on summer tires. I have never had a problem with them cracking. You do lose some traction when the temperature get below freezing but that is the only problem I have had.
For whatever reason, you are fortunate. But, it's enough of a problem for Michelin to develop a specific warranty exclusion policy.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

The liklihood of cold cracking depends on your tire

Quote:

You need to check with your manufacturer because all tires have different thresholds. When Car & Driver and Tire Rack did a joint performance test of ultra-high performance tires a few years ago, they listed a caveat with the Toyos and Yokohamas they tested because both tires would suffer cold cracking if exposed to temps below about 18 degrees EVEN IF OFF THE CAR IN STORAGE. That is if you had them in your unheated garage over the winter they could still cold crack.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #10
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I also run PSS max summer performance all year round in Maryland and no cracking. Car not garaged.
Pirelli I think had some cracking issues and maybe also Goodyear with summer compounds in winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

It has gotten a little cooler here too..56 degrees I was in Orlando last week and Friday it was 91 degrees...zapped the energy right out of me. Not used to temps like that in April!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:

I've run into this problem also.60 degrees one day 35 the next.My car has been back on the battery maintainer more than it's been driven the last month. I took it out of storage too soon. I did drive it several times last fall in temps below 40 deg. and off and on at those temps with those tires on another car. There weren't any cracks on the sidewalls.

I've been cautious and and have waited until the temp is above 50 degrees before driving it.Of course I have another car to drive. I'm definitely going to consider the AS 3 or 3+ for the second set of tires.

Last edited by Tpeterson; 04-05-2016 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

The tread cracking policy is just michelin wiping their hands of responsibility should it occur in a very unlikely event. I don't blame them for that. I wouldn't want to drive summer tyres in temperatures below 7C, but if you've encountered a freak; short lived event just whack it in eco pro and go steady. I store my PSS in an unheated garage over winter where they are subject to temperatures far below 7C. I inspect them in spring before putting them back on and there aren't any defects whatsoever. If you're driving on them, you're introducing heat through friction that'll keep them above 7C anyway. If its snowing though, find an alternative mode of transport or put the winters back on. Being able to generate grip is the most important thing.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #14
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
The tread cracking policy is just michelin wiping their hands of responsibility should it occur in a very unlikely event. I don't blame them for that. I wouldn't want to drive summer tyres in temperatures below 7C, but if you've encountered a freak; short lived event just whack it in eco pro and go steady. I store my PSS in an unheated garage over winter where they are subject to temperatures far below 7C. I inspect them in spring before putting them back on and there aren't any defects whatsoever. If you're driving on them, you're introducing heat through friction that'll keep them above 7C anyway. If its snowing though, find an alternative mode of transport or put the winters back on. Being able to generate grip is the most important thing.
I agree with that 100%. Lawyers dictate much corporate consumer policy. Common sense be damned. Just look at the warnings in an owners manual for any household product.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #15
skitch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Coupe

I got stuck on a business trip in the M235i out in eastern NM last week. WX forecast was for 0% precip and lows in the 50's. Surprise storm and low temps came in just in time for my drive home to ABQ. Saw temps in the mid to low 30s all day and had to deal with snow showers for about 100 miles. I just kept my speeds around 65 mph. Handling felt fine, and the tires did not crack. Made it home safe and sound. Was it ideal.... no. But, if you are conservative, you can drive in sub-40 degree temps, and even light snow, if necessary.
Like others have said, the Michelin AS3s are a good, very little compromise, high performance AS tire. I had them on my 2012 335i, and I was always impressed with their on-road manners. I am contemplating having a set of them mounted up for my Oct-Apr driving because of how unpredictable the WX can be here in NM.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
I'm afraid I was hit with this dilemma as well. O well - bye bye run flats, sooner than later!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #17
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Over the years, living in the Midwest I've learned no PSS till tax day...Tis the misfortune of living in the Snowbelt.

Oh well, first world problem.
      04-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #18
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

AS3+ are very noisy!

I understand that you have to make a compromise but Beware, the AS3+ are very noisy. Much more than the PSSs.

I have the PSSs on my 228i and the AS3+ on my C300 for a year now. The C300 sounds like it is running on snow or truck tires. It is so bad I hate to drive it and look forward to replacing them at 20,000 miles. I would go with the latest Continental DWS all seasons. Much quieter!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralawren View Post
I understand that you have to make a compromise but Beware, the AS3+ are very noisy. Much more than the PSSs.

I have the PSSs on my 228i and the AS3+ on my C300 for a year now. The C300 sounds like it is running on snow or truck tires. It is so bad I hate to drive it and look forward to replacing them at 20,000 miles. I would go with the latest Continental DWS all seasons. Much quieter!
If you've had them for a year, they are likely the AS3 (the older discontinued model) and not the new AS+. I also had AS3 on my C300, which preceded the 2015 228i purchase. I heard them but did not have the same degree of reaction you are experiencing. But, noise did increase with tread wear.

Check out reviews such as tirerack.com for evaluations on the new tire. Noise was a known concern with the last generation, so improvements might be expected. DWS06, the new gen of that tire, does also have compromises....handling/steering is not the same, but it is quiet and comfortable....just put them on my wife's Audi A6.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #20
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

I had summer tires when they first became popular and was not told that these were summer only tires. Ouch the car was uncontrollable in ice and snow etc. I mean almost no snow like a 1/4".

I had to buy a set of Blizzaks to make the car driveable. That was like day and night. I could not believe how bad those tires were. Clearly you put yourself and everyone else at risk with tires like that in the wrong weather condition.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #21
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

I've been hearing all this talk and have been dubious of the statement without any actual official statement from Michelin, so I asked them as we don't get told anything like this down under. We have many mornings below freezing during winter, even in mild climate Sydney. I've only used these tyres for the past 5 years or so with no problems, except they obviously don't have a lot of grip first thing when cold.

<<---- Response and Question ------>>

Hi,

These comments are not relevant to Australia. Michelin worked closely with the BMW M team when developing the Pilot Super Sport.
The product is perfectly suitable for use in Australian climatic conditions.

Kind Regards,
The Michelin Australia Team

For more information visit: www.michelin.com.au
Telephone: 1300 72 78 78
Email: Contact.Us@au.michelin.com

*Please note: the technical advice given by us is only a recommendation based on the information provided by you. Michelin Australia is not responsible or liable for any damage due to utilisation based on our technical advice.

-----Forwarded by Contact-WZM0032 Us/AU/AS/MICHELIN on 03/16/2016 04:02PM -----
To: contact.us@au.michelin.com
Date: 03/13/2016 04:43PM
Subject: AU-EN-Michelin

Your message = I hear a lot of people in USA saying that you can't use Michelin Pilot Super Sports in winter with temps below 40F. I have these as OEM on my BMW M235i and haven't been told anything like that in Australia. i also can't find anything on official Michelin pages to confirm.
      04-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #22
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff View Post
I've been hearing all this talk and have been dubious of the statement without any actual official statement from Michelin, so I asked them as we don't get told anything like this down under. We have many mornings below freezing during winter, even in mild climate Sydney. I've only used these tyres for the past 5 years or so with no problems, except they obviously don't have a lot of grip first thing when cold.

<<---- Response and Question ------>>

Hi,

These comments are not relevant to Australia. Michelin worked closely with the BMW M team when developing the Pilot Super Sport.
The product is perfectly suitable for use in Australian climatic conditions.

Kind Regards,
The Michelin Australia Team

For more information visit: www.michelin.com.au
Telephone: 1300 72 78 78
Email: Contact.Us@au.michelin.com

*Please note: the technical advice given by us is only a recommendation based on the information provided by you. Michelin Australia is not responsible or liable for any damage due to utilisation based on our technical advice.

-----Forwarded by Contact-WZM0032 Us/AU/AS/MICHELIN on 03/16/2016 04:02PM -----
To: contact.us@au.michelin.com
Date: 03/13/2016 04:43PM
Subject: AU-EN-Michelin

Your message = I hear a lot of people in USA saying that you can't use Michelin Pilot Super Sports in winter with temps below 40F. I have these as OEM on my BMW M235i and haven't been told anything like that in Australia. i also can't find anything on official Michelin pages to confirm.
This is what tirerack says

"While Pilot Super Sport tires are designed to allow sports cars, sporty coupes, performance sedans and supercars to achieve their full potential in dry and wet conditions, like all summer tires they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

You can drive near freezing but there is the possibility that the compound will crack specially with the Pilot Sport Cup 2
Appreciate 0