THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Downpipe smoking. Stock

08-20-2024, 06:03 PM   #1
Dstructv
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Downpipe smoking. Stock

I just drove my car down the road and back to grab something from a friend's house. Super short drive. Got home and my engine bay is immediately smoking. Looks like it's coming from the downpipe. Car is entirely stock at the moment. 2015 m235i 44k miles. Nothing seems to be leaking?

* just looked, obviously it stopped after a minute, I am thinking maybe the valve cover gasket? I changed the oil about 1400 miles ago, and the reading is still at max, the only reason i think this is it looks like the top of the o2 sensor on the downpipe is wet, the downpipe itself is dry and silver, nothing looks as if oil touched it. The left side channel on under the engine cover where the valve cover gasket would be looks to have the smallest amount of oil on it, but its not wet, so im not entirely sure. would the gasket be screwed with 44k miles? I see a lot of people doing em closer to 100k

Last edited by Dstructv; 08-20-2024 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 09:59 PM   #2
Coupsoup
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Valve cover gasket leaks, the angle the engine sits means the oil flows to the passenger side, forward movement means it flows to the rear. Directly under the passenger rear corner of the cylinder head is the down pipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 06:58 PM   #3
Dstructv
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Doing valve cover, gasket, and pcv valve this week!
Appreciate 0