11-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #306
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I don't see how BMW M can tune the N55, when the S55 is already that engine tuned by BMW. Also, why isn't an 8.000 RPM I4 possible? The big S63Tu has redline at 7.200 RPM, the S55 has redline at 7.500 if not slightly higher. More than that, the N55, and probably N20 are to be replaced by the new modular block that will start with the 2 Series Active Tourer and its 1.5l I3, already powering the i8. As the S55 is a new engine, its does not depend on the life-cyle of N55. By the time the M2 enters the market, there will be no more N55, it will be replaced by N58. M235i should just get that engine. So there is already no possibility for the M2 to get a tuned N55, and I doubt both the normal N58 and the tuned N58 will hit the market at the same time. Only way is a detuned S55, but that is as unlikely as the M4 would get a detuned S63. BMW have cancelled the X1 M35i and so the Z4 M35i, that was to replace the Z4 sDrive35is badge. The next generation 1 Series/2 Series will be FWD, so no I6 will be possible, top range engines are going to be I4. A new X1 Mxx is coming with a transverse mounted I4 making around 300 PS, lighter than N55. M2 could get that engine. I'm just going to present to two possibilities that are to happen:

1. M2 gets I4 engine based on S55, that means two cylinders less than M3/M4, then engine block is not the same as N20 or N55, it is thus not a tuned N55 or N20. M235i retains its N55 engine or gets the new N58.

2. M235i loses its N55 engine, and gets the new ~300 PS new generation I4 engine found in the FWD-based X1 Mxx, not unlikey, just as the N20 I4 replaced the N53 I6. And here comes the M2 with the new N58 I6 engine. N58 is to be bi-turbo again, and reach power outputs between 360 to 400 PS.

I'm for the first possibility.

PS: Forget the 2GC based on F22, although it was designed, it is not coming.
Do you have some reliable source for this?

That the N55 would get a successor very soon is no surprise, I'm pretty sure the M235i will get the N58. But I forgot about it in my recent thoughts and I haven't heard about a name for it until now. ...so a tuned N58 (like a tuned N54 in the 1M) is very likely in my eyes for the M2, but a detuned S55 would be definitely the better choice.

I've listed a lot of points why the S55 would make sence in my recent posts. Another one would be saving money by using the S55 in more cars instead of developing another one.

We are talking about the current generation of the 2 series. Next generation with FWD and no I6 is sadly quite likely.

To 1.: I'm no expert at this place, but I would say the engine is more likely to be based on the N20 as on the S55. ...but I don't know what you can make out of the N20.
I think a I4 from BMW M would debut in the generation after the F2X, or at least in a possible X1/2 M years away. (Not in a X3/4 because they have RWD and AWD based on that)

To 2.: No, a transverse placed engine from a FWD can't be placed in a RWD car elongated so far I know.
...Bi-Turbo again? I wanna see some source for that. It's possible but I haven't heard anything like that before, 360-400 PS? ...perfect for the M2, if that's true, and for sure the N55 successor will feature more power, we got our M2 engine! Sadly no S55 but a hundred times better than a I4.

And I say there will be a 2 series Gran Coupé, BMW would be just extremly stupid for making all the other niche models and doesn't bring a small RWD based sedan which a large market is screaming for. Imho BMW have no choice, the 2 series will be sold very good, the CLA and A3 sedan too so they have to bring it, and than the M2 Gran Coupé.

PS: I don't know how BMW is doing their market research, but according to this poll, only 2,83% / 13 people out of 460 (remember the M2/GC will be a niche model) wouldn't buy a M2/GC with a I6, but 97,17% or 447 people out of 460 wouldn't buy it with a I4.
And their market research can't come to a completely different result, so only a dumb one at BMW could give green light for a I4 for the M2/GC instead a I6 based on extreme class differentiation since they wanna sell cars.)

So we will see a tuned N58 I6 (N55 successor) or detuned S55 I6 in the M2/GC, mark my words.

Last edited by jackmcclane; 11-03-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0