View Single Post
      10-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #138
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanceman View Post
What was wrong with the perfect designation BMW already had? The "is"???

I completely agree they're diluting the "M" name (although I love the car), and personally I love that my car is a 335is and not an M335i. It's understated and conveys what it is, I know it's not an M, but it's what a fun BMW should be. It keeps the distinction between M3 and 335, leaves the hollowed Motorsport name untouched, and hints that its not your ordinary 335. In other words, PERFECT for this car, 235is sounds great to me....
Here's a history lesson for you. This was back in the 80s btw:

The M535i was introduced as a sporty version of the regular 535i, although the M535i does not feature any unique BMW Motorsport-designed drivetrain components it is, however, equipped with an M-Technic suspension, wheels and body panels not found on the standard 535i. Combined, these items distinguish the M535i from the regular 535i. The E28 M535i was introduced at the 1984 Paris Auto Salon. Unlike the hand-built E28 M5, the E28 M535i was assembled on the standard E28 assembly line in Dingolfing, outside of Munich. An additional batch of cars was built at BMW's Rosslyn, South Africa factory using Complete Knock-Down kits supplied from Germany. BMW did not import the E28 M535i to North America for two reasons: 1# the M brand had not yet been established in North America at the time and thus held little equity with the consumer and 2# the cost of adapting the M-Technic body panels to fit the contours of the government-mandated bumpers was highly prohibitive. Instead, BMW of North America created the 535is, essentially a standard 535i equipped with front and rear spoilers, sport suspension and sport seats, which was sold exclusively in the U.S. and Canada. Total M535i production: 10335 cars

I couldn't care less what the name is to be honest. If it bothers people that much, debadge and carry on. Just my humble opinion.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0