View Single Post
      09-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
Who am I kidding though? If I buy a project car, I will spend 3X as much as I predict and then likely do my first track year in my F22!
Haha, that's such a fantastic summary of project car ownership... (saying this after another ... eventful... day at the track ziptiyng my own mid-90s project together in between sessions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
2 questions:

1 do you think LCA swap would introduce enough negative camber to forgo plates?

2 are my daily Conti extreme contact tires a suitable solution for getting started?
1. No. People seem to report roughly -2 degrees from the F80 LCAs. That might be enough for your first few events, but then you'll be back to square one. Generally, on a strut suspension, the more body roll you have, the more static negative camber you need to compensate. I didn't keep the stock springs / swaybars long enough to know about them, but with stiffer springs / sways, at least -3 seemed to use the tires the best. Plus, fixed camber is not particularly great, it's one of the easiest / most powerful setup knobs you have, no point to deprive yourself of it.

If you insist on LCAs, I think SPL has adjustable ones for our chassis. Haven't tried them, but I do have their rear links and they're holding up well so far.

2. To get started, yes. Honestly, your first couple of days, it's likely you won't be pushing them anywhere near their limits. And that's perfectly fine -- there's usually years worth of street driving limits to unlearn -- and the best way to do that is to "race what you brought". Once you've pushed hard enough to see small chunks of the tire falling off, it's a good time to move to something that can handle the heat better.

Last edited by msendit; 09-06-2020 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 1